Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X (only) - FSD beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, I was using it to determine if I could detour while in route to a destination. I hope next destination would be ready for navigation upon placing the car in drive.
I ran my test route a second time. It appears you can place vehicle in Park, then restart the trip continuing on, no prompt to continue trip. Second method is just before reaching a waypoint, drop out of auto steer, drive past the waypoint, the restart autosteer, prompt to Continue Trip appears, tap it and keep on going.

I think the premise of this iteration of Waypoints, is the car expects you to actually stop. In my case, all I want to do is influence the route chosen. AP consistently makes a very poor choice for me, making an unprotected left turn from a side street on to a busy four lane. Impossible turn most of the day. There are alternate turns with traffic signals, just a few blocks away. I want to tell it, go to Destination via Street A then Street B.

In my wildest desire, I wish I could touch the screen and draw or modify the route. Maybe someday.

Do you mean "lack of regen" that the vehicles used more brake than regen?
Correct -- while FSD Beta was engaged, when approaching a red traffic light, it waits until the last moment, and then slams on the physical brakes. According to the energy gauge, zero energy was recovered (e.g., no green dip).

I'm hoping that once they have some of the major things down, they'll revisit and make things more smooth and efficient. I just have to be patient, and continue to submit feedback to the team.

AP consistently makes a very poor choice for me, making an unprotected left turn from a side street on to a busy four lane. Impossible turn most of the day. There are alternate turns with traffic signals, just a few blocks away. I want to tell it, go to Destination via Street A then Street B.
I agree with you. Just yesterday, I had a similar situation... the unprotected left was a nightmare. But there was a traffic light with U-turn just a quarter mile up.

But at least it's headed in the right direction. For some reason, at night, FSD gets confused at the traffic light entrance to my community. Instead of going into the left turn lane at the traffic light, it goes into the rightmost lane, and continues through the intersection. During the daytime, it's fine. But at night, it gets flustered, confused, and lost. It's happened in each version since I first got FSD in 10.4. I've reported it several times.

Part of me wonders if it has something to do with what the camera is seeing or imagining. There have been several times at night when it almost runs into things because it's dark and can't see it. If only there were a type of sensor that could see regardless of light... maybe by using radio to detect range. Nah. /s

I ran my test route a second time. It appears you can place vehicle in Park, then restart the trip continuing on, no prompt to continue trip. Second method is just before reaching a waypoint, drop out of auto steer, drive past the waypoint, the restart autosteer, prompt to Continue Trip appears, tap it and keep on going.

I think the premise of this iteration of Waypoints, is the car expects you to actually stop. In my case, all I want to do is influence the route chosen. AP consistently makes a very poor choice for me, making an unprotected left turn from a side street on to a busy four lane. Impossible turn most of the day. There are alternate turns with traffic signals, just a few blocks away. I want to tell it, go to Destination via Street A then Street B.

In my wildest desire, I wish I could touch the screen and draw or modify the route. Maybe someday.
Looking forward to the next road-trip now 👍

Legacy 2020 MX with a vertical screen.
Is this MX a “refreshed” model with horizontal screen, or a “legacy” model with vertical screen? I just got 10.8 on my 2018 S100D, verical screen of course, and have the same issue, current speed limit disappears from display behind steering wheel when enabling AP.

SO, if your MX is a refreshed model with horizontal screen, has the issue with speed limit display missing been fixed in 10.8 for you?

Not sure if this issue is still a problem, as I notice that your OP is from October. But for the record, I just installed the latest (FSD Beta-containing) software yesterday (into a 2021 'legacy' Model X) and took it out today--no problem with a missing speed limit signs in driver's side display (with FSD engaged or not engaged). In fact the whole software package seems fine. There are some visual differences, sure, but I was amazed at how "normal" the whole thing appeared. The apps on the bottom don't bother me, I have tire pressure continuously displayed as always, and all is well so far. After all the bellyaching on other threads I expected the worst. Maybe the 'legacy' screens have changed less than the landscape screens?

Anyway, if you still have missing speed sign visuals, I'd say something is wrong and I'd recommend (a) email to the FSD team and/or a service request. However, if you have FSD Beta be careful that Service doesn't push a non-FSD version into your car.

• Informative
Reactions: n.one.one

I just noticed something from your OP screen photos. Are you using the full width setting for the self-driving visualization graphic when you engage FSD Beta? There is a slider setting-control in the Autopilot screen that controls this--"Expanded Full-Self-Driving Visualization." The default is that the graphic is just in the middle. The optional setting makes it expand out to the full width (obliterating information on the left and right).

I tried it but shut that off (made it narrow and just be in the center again) so that it doesn't mess up the "tiles" on the left and right (where I display the clock and tire pressure).

Maybe that is the difference?

When I next drive I may try to engage the full width self-driving visualization, engage FSD Beta, and see if I still have little speed limit sign graphics.

*****​

If you do have the slider set for full-width, try doing the opposite and see if speed limit signs reappear.

Last edited:

Yes, that is the reason I see speed limit sign and you don’t. I have my FSD Beta set when it is engaged to fit in the middle of the driver’s screen. With it expanded, the speed limit sign disappears on my car, too. Will have to be corrected in subsequent update. Sorry.

Reactions: Dcam
While there aren't that many Model X's with FSD beta yet it does present some different issues from other models (especially the 3 & Y).
I hope this thread will be useful for those of us using FSD beta on a Model X.

The first issue I noticed was that the display no longer shows the last speed limit sign that the vehicle observed. Previously I referred to that quite often and find that I really miss it. Here are images with FSD beta 10.2 on and then with it off.

View attachment 721029
View attachment 721019
It looks like this is a “feature”.

You can get the speed limit AND the turn-by-turn display back on the screen if you disable “Expanded Full Self-Driving Visualization” in the autopilot options, leaving the basic “Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview” enambled.

Apparently the expanded fsd visualizations, left and right and maybe on top, would be hidden with the speed limit and turn-by-turn stuff showing, at least as currently rendered.

I just downloaded 2021.44.25.6 yesterday on my DEC 2016 MX. My Camera Upgrade was done on Nov 19th. While I was at Superior SC getting new tires I got the notice that FSD BETA 10.8 (2021.25.6) was ready to download.

I hope to Test Drive FSD BETA today and looking forward to participating on this thread going forward.

So today was my first extended use of 10.8 during the daytime. The FSD on local streets part performed adequately, but most of my drive was on the highway, so it switched to AutoPilot. I had a LOT of phantom braking -- but I saw the cause. For some reason, the speed limit & max speed kept being set to 35 mph -- despite no sign of the sort, and the actual speed limit being 55, 60, or 65 mph.

So I'd be driving down the highway... 65/70 mph... and then BAM... max speed drops to 35, so car slams on brakes. I'd use the CC stalk to reset max speed back to 65/70, and then a bit later, BAM... back down to 35 mph again. It did this in both directions -- on my way out, and on my way home. It was very frustrating.

No clue why it was doing this odd behavior. Has this happened to anyone else?

So today was my first extended use of 10.8 during the daytime. The FSD on local streets part performed adequately, but most of my drive was on the highway, so it switched to AutoPilot. I had a LOT of phantom braking -- but I saw the cause. For some reason, the speed limit & max speed kept being set to 35 mph -- despite no sign of the sort, and the actual speed limit being 55, 60, or 65 mph.

So I'd be driving down the highway... 65/70 mph... and then BAM... max speed drops to 35, so car slams on brakes. I'd use the CC stalk to reset max speed back to 65/70, and then a bit later, BAM... back down to 35 mph again. It did this in both directions -- on my way out, and on my way home. It was very frustrating.

In my State, the general speed limit 70 and the truck speed limit 65 or 55, are placed side by side. Frequently the incorrect sign is read, so it often alternates between 65 and 70, due to the misread. But I've never had it misread down to 35.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert

I do have max speed dropped down at few spots on i-5 and it is consistently for exact spot. That area of i-5 was widen recently. If I drive 2 left most lanes, max speed doesn't drop. If I drive on 2 right lanes, it drops every single time but automatically back up after a while. It happened to all model I drove, X, Y, S and 3.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
In my State, the general speed limit 70 and the truck speed limit 65 or 55, are placed side by side. Frequently the incorrect sign is read, so it often alternates between 65 and 70, due to the misread. But I've never had it misread down to 35.
I can certainly understand the confusion in your example. But we didn't even pass any speed limit signs, which makes it all the more perplexing.

I really wish there was a way to ask the AI, "What were you thinking??" LOL

yy. I can certainly understand the confusion in your example. But we didn't even pass any speed limit signs, which makes it all the more perplexing.
I really wish there was a way to ask the AI, "What were you thinking??" LOL
That would be nice for sure! I have had the problem before on newer or recently rebuilt Interstates. The Nav mapping did not have the updated highways, so it was basing speed limit from the old streets it crossing over or going by. I eventually had to disable all automation and manually drive, and even then it would throw up alarms. But this was before the car had the ability to read signs.

At the present time, I think Navigate on Autopilot on the interstates is fantastic. I wish I could buy only that. FSD on city streets is still troublesome. Unfortunately you can only buy the one single bundle. $10k is too much NoA and Autopark only. So I am going without it ln my next car, next year sometime.