Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X (only) - FSD beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there anyone with 2017 Model X with FSD Beta?

I have a 2017 Model X stuck in software 2021.24.28. I have opted for "Advanced" upgrades. However, I have not got the button to request for FSD upgrade.
I also have a 2022 Model Y. In that I have got the button to request for FSD upgrade and I requested it.
I have got the 2017 Model X eMMC upgraded. It also has upgraded to "Full Self-driving computer". Only upgrade that is pending is the infotainment upgrade. Is this upgrade mandatory for getting the FSD Beta in my 2017 Model X? Does anyone know?
Greetings, yes, there are some with 2017 and FSD Beta (check my signature.) What month is your 2017? If you haven't learned already, Tesla model years do not determine hardware upgrade level. For the 2017 X, there was also a camera upgrade mid-year, I forgot the month, but think it was around Aug/Sep (we can find it here on the forum. Also see https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...d-for-fsd-camera-upgrade.265674/#post-6663393 and Has anyone received a '17 Model X AP Camera Upgrade?) Mine is a Dec model and has the newer cameras. I believe you will need the newer camera suite to get FSD Beta. The infotainment upgrade is not 'required', however, you will lose the new visualizations if you do not have it, so it is very desirable to get it for FSD Beta (as well as the user interface speed upgrades.)

edit: (see a couple people answered already, oddly, their responses didn't show up when I viewed this originally!)

Also, FSD Beta hasn't been pushed to newer people in a while now. Tesla doesn't seem to announce when people will be added, so you can see a lot of speculation over in the FSD Beta threads on the forum. "Maybe' it will happen within the next month, if Elon's latest tweet pans out, but those are historically not related to any real time frame, even when he hints of when something may happen. ;)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mbp11
Officially, 2016 AP2 had all the necessary hardware so it's just a matter of software.

However, for a practical purpose, I have observed that you need:

FSD computer
MCU2
New cameras

Only the MCU2 costs more but the other 2 are included upgrades.
Yeah - I have not upgraded to MCU2. Do not like the fact that in addition to 1.5k, there is an additional $500 for radio support. Unfortunate that I may have to go for it, if FSD is withheld because of this. Have opened a service request with Tesla to see if they confirm/deny.

Hi @Ss2017 ,

In your Tesla App you will be able to see the invoices,
even if they were no charge, for work performed on your car...

Generally the FSD computer upgrade is done independently of the cameras...
They are supposed to send you an invite to upgrade the cameras...
Please check your invoices for services performed.

The additional $500 for MCU upgrade is for FM radio support.
You are still able to get the streaming radio without the $500.
Be sure of what you want...
My wife upgraded her 2015 Model S 85D to MCU2 and is very
happy with it. We did NOT add the $500 for the FM radio device/service.

You will like MCU2 guaranteed...
Even if FSD does work with MCU1 you will not like its performance...

Good luck,

Shawn

Are there anyone with 2017 Model X with FSD Beta?

I have a 2017 Model X stuck in software 2021.24.28. I have opted for "Advanced" upgrades. However, I have not got the button to request for FSD upgrade.
I also have a 2022 Model Y. In that I have got the button to request for FSD upgrade and I requested it.
I have got the 2017 Model X eMMC upgraded. It also has upgraded to "Full Self-driving computer". Only upgrade that is pending is the infotainment upgrade. Is this upgrade mandatory for getting the FSD Beta in my 2017 Model X? Does anyone know?
I don’t have FSD Beta. But my 4/2017 build Model X has MCU2 and keeps up (build number wise) with my wife’s new 2022 Model 3 with the Ryzen chip. I have 2022.12.3.2 and she has 2022.12.3.3. The Model X is the only one with FSD Capability paid for.

Is it true that they are only updating FSD beta to the ones already have it? and not giving to new customers?
I'll be super pissed if they are still adding new customers but not me :(
My cameras are upgraded 5 months back. I have MCU2 and maintaining 99 (2017 March MX).
I'm sick of this whole thing.

Is it true that they are only updating FSD beta to the ones already have it? and not giving to new customers?
I'll be super pissed if they are still adding new customers but not me :(
My cameras are upgraded 5 months back. I have MCU2 and maintaining 99 (2017 March MX).
I'm sick of this whole thing.

1. I understand your frustration. (I still remember how I felt back in October 2021, before receiving FSD Beta.)

2. The whole FSD Beta testing situation has seemingly quieted down of late. (That may not really be true. Just seems that way to me. I've been more involved in the Korean CCS1 adapter issue.) See this article. Although Canada was added as a testing area, "There haven't been any signs of Tesla adding additional beta testers in the US since late 2021." So it is not about you--apparently no other new US testers are receiving it either.

3. FSD Beta is far from where drivers and, I'm sure, Tesla want it to be. Those of use who drank the [verbal] Kool-Aid from EM and various YouTube video fakesters (Boy, did I ever fall for those fake all hands-free drives, like from San Francisco to Santa Barbara!) and were expecting the car to soon drive us to the grocery store (let alone another town) have to be disappointed. It's improved--better than last year, for sure. But I still cannot (safely) use it on surface streets. (I do engage it on the freeways, but that amounts to pretty much just using AutoPilot (which most people have), I'm told. It probably won't make you feel any better but believe me, you are not missing much right now. (However, if you've paid for FSD then of course you still want access to FSD Beta. Fully understandable.) Enjoy the features you (w/o FSD Beta) have that I (w/FSD Beta) don't.

4. Hang in there. Although it seems like it is taking forever, this will come. I saw an article somewhere saying FSD Beta will be released to all FSD-holders in 2022. Of course the source was EM, so take it with a grain of salt. But you will get it eventually.

Reactions: mbp11 and n.one.one
  1. I understand your frustration. (I still remember how I felt back in October 2021, before receiving FSD Beta.)
  2. ............................................
  3. ...................................................
  4. ................................................................
Your post reminded me of both the excitement and then the reality of FSD beta.
I transitioned through four stages represented by four avatars starting before I got FSD beta and they tell the story. Much of the beginning was a white knuckle experience but I learned to just focus because I knew where it would be likely to mess up. Others expressed the same.

Dreamin of FSD.jpg
>>
Livin the FSD Dream.jpg
>>
Livin the FSD Dream Stress.jpg
>>
Livin the FSD Dream Stress Focus.jpg

Last edited:

2. The whole FSD Beta testing situation has seemingly quieted down of late. (That may not really be true. Just seems that way to me. I've been more involved in the Korean CCS1 adapter issue.) See this article. Although Canada was added as a testing area, "There haven't been any signs of Tesla adding additional beta testers in the US since late 2021." So it is not about you--apparently no other new US testers are receiving it either.

3. FSD Beta is far from where drivers and, I'm sure, Tesla want it to be. Those of use who drank the [verbal] Kool-Aid from EM and various YouTube video fakesters (Boy, did I ever fall for those fake all hands-free drives, like from San Francisco to Santa Barbara!) and were expecting the car to soon drive us to the grocery store (let alone another town) have to be disappointed. It's improved--better than last year, for sure. But I still cannot (safely) use it on surface streets. (I do engage it on the freeways, but that amounts to pretty much just using AutoPilot (which most people have), I'm told. It probably won't make you feel any better but believe me, you are not missing much right now. (However, if you've paid for FSD then of course you still want access to FSD Beta. Fully understandable.) Enjoy the features you (w/o FSD Beta) have that I (w/FSD Beta) don't.

4. Hang in there. Although it seems like it is taking forever, this will come. I saw an article somewhere saying FSD Beta will be released to all FSD-holders in 2022. Of course the source was EM, so take it with a grain of salt. But you will get it eventually.
Thank you for giving me some hope :)
I'm probably one of the unlucky Tesla owners.
I bought my first MS in 2016 and few months later they announced AP1.
So I sold MS for some loss and booked MX 90D, which came in March 2017.
In the middle of my waiting time..they announced 100D but they said FUSC is only for 90D owners.
So I kept 90D...but later that announced FUSC for 100D owners for more than a year.
Then Tesla said FSD beta requires MCU2.
So I paid full 2500 to get MCU2 along with FSD computer upgrade.

That's ok...that's how it goes sometimes.
But I do believe they should take care of early adopters like us.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
I got my MX in Dec 2017. So it must be AP2.5. Later on, Tesla did upgrade my car to FSD computer (and cameras, I believe. I am not sure how to confirm this).
I got a response from Tesla Service. They confirmed that Infotain System upgrade is not required for FSD Beta on MX. My MX 2017 is upgraded to the FSD computer and eMMC2 recall. But it is still missing the camera upgrade., no ETA on that yet.

My new Model Y 2022, is sitting with a safety score of 98 (> 500 miles). Looking at other responses, I doubt I am going to get FSD on that as the new addition to the beta testing has stopped.

I just installed 2022.12.3.20 this morning. I had enabled the “safety score” a couple of weeks ago, got frustrated and disabled it. Turned it back on last week and was pulling down a 98 after about 250 miles. Lo and behold FSD beta appeared without having to do the scoring for 30 days. Anyone else have that experience?

Tried it out on a short trip this morning and it worked, but right now I’m in an area with some tertiary roads and FSD did well until it got to places with irregular lane lines.

Reactions: DelPhonic1