Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X (only) - FSD beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
April 2017 Model X 100D here. Got FSD Beta last night with a 97 Safety Score. Tried it out today several times. Best way I can describe it is like this: Did you ever wish for a Christmas present all year long and then, when you finally got it, it wasn't at all what you expected? That would be FSD Beta. It was all over the place and I had to intervene OFTEN. Makes me wonder if it's the X or is it this bad for everyone?

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I also got FSD Beta yesterday - and from my signature you can see I’ve been waiting a long time! :)

Love it and can see the potential. When it works, it works well. But as a beta it can also not work VERY well. Got my X because I love gadgets and this fits the bill. Incredibly awesome to be living this sci-fi movie IRL.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
April 2017 Model X 100D here. Got FSD Beta last night with a 97 Safety Score. Tried it out today several times. Best way I can describe it is like this: Did you ever wish for a Christmas present all year long and then, when you finally got it, it wasn't at all what you expected? That would be FSD Beta. It was all over the place and I had to intervene OFTEN. Makes me wonder if it's the X or is it this bad for everyone?

Aghhh! So..hard..to..resist!! Oh, screw it.

We told you so!

Ah. That feels better.

Seriously. If you really read all the feedback you'll see that many have said that FSD Beta is not even close to being self-driving, let alone being "full" anything.

Nonetheless, it is good to participate (a) if you are really careful and (b) for those that could afford to sizeable cost of FSD.

BTW, I have a 2020/1 MX, but I don't think it is just about the X. It's all the models. However, maybe the newer (refreshed) cars (w/latest hardware/software) have a better time of it? Don't know.

What continues to annoy me are YouTube videos like:

Tesla Autopilot FSD San Francisco to Los Angeles with Zero Interventions

and

Tesla Autopilot FSD Beta San Francisco to Fremont with Zero Disengagements

and others claiming long-distance drives with hands-free, zero disengagements, people purposely napping while driving, et cetera. None of that could be true today, let alone one or two years ago. I can't go 500 feet without a "disengagement" on surface streets in my little town, let alone driving through San Francisco. These earlier videos were made before FSD Beta was provided to the general public in September(?) 2021. So they must have been completely faked using video trickery, or else perhaps made by Tesla employees using early versions of AP and/or FSD with the route pre-programmed into the software? I don't know. But having seen some of those it is doubly annoying* to experience how primitive and error-prone FSD Beta still is today. I want my car to drive me (hands-free) safely to the grocery store, now!

All that said, it can still be exciting to be part of automotive history. But would I purchase FSD again? Not sure. I just hope Tesla does right by its customers, especially those that invested in FSD early on.
_____
* Mostly, I am annoyed at myself for being so gullible.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
I can't go 500 feet without a "disengagement" on surface streets in my little town, let alone driving through San Francisco.

I actually was able to get a bagel last week without a disengagement until the parking lot. It’s a 1.5 mile drive from my house. I was shocked.

So that’s about my expectation of FSD Beta. It can, at a time of low traffic and on a single specific route, get me close to the bagel shop. Yee haw.

It was all over the place and I had to intervene OFTEN. Makes me wonder if it's the X or is it this bad for everyone?
I have FSD Beta on both model X and model 3. It’s equally bad on both cars relative to how it drives. Display is worse on the X because it doesn’t display the speed limit while in city streets.

This latest release was actually the biggest improvement I’ve seen. Previously I had a very low completion rate for any 90 degree turns. 10.12.2 can actually complete some turns now, and a few have been very good.

• Helpful
After having a Model 3 with FSD, I did not buy the $12k FSD with my 22 MX.

I would, however, buy/subscribe to enhanced autopilot. I sorely miss triggered lane changes.

Yes. In my experience using FSD Beta for freeways is generally good. I hear that it is basically like AP or EAP. My complaints are about using FSD Beta on surface streets. I have seen improvement in the last six months. But a nearby small traffic circle still confounds FSD Beta every time. It is too twitchy to be used (or maybe I am just too nervous to try it) when there are other cars nearby.

O
Yes. In my experience using FSD Beta for freeways is generally good. I hear that it is basically like AP or EAP. My complaints are about using FSD Beta on surface streets. I have seen improvement in the last six months. But a nearby small traffic circle still confounds FSD Beta every time. It is too twitchy to be used (or maybe I am just too nervous to try it) when there are other cars nearby.

Oh, it’s a lot more then “basically like” AP. It *IS* AP. When you see the on screen animations change from the FSD-colorful back to “normal” AP display, you’re actually using Autopilot on highways. Same exact software, same exact processing. The “unified stack” software between highway & local roads hasn’t hit the street yet.

I have a 2018 Model X and have FSD beta and just got the 2022.12.3.20 software upgrade the past week. There are all kinds of amusing animations like when you are parked you get a large angled side view of the car, and when shifting to drive, the animation rotates to the view of the rear and shrinks to fit the road. On the iPhone app, when driving the angled side view of the car shows the wheels rotating.... but I have to agree with others, FSD beta is not ready for prime time. It does ok on straight but on multilane roads in town it will suddenly change lanes without warning especially to the cars behind me. It has some trouble transitioning from a road to a left turn lane, almost turned too soon into the curb and I had to take over. Turns are hesitant, then abrupt, speedy, and irregular, not smooth and consistent. For me I have to intervene every few blocks. It does ok on the freeway, today it did not do a phantom stop like it usually does on a freeway three-to-two merge. I am VERY cautious when I activate it and I cannot use it when I am with passengers in the car, they will think there is something wrong with me. Perhaps I need to train it to drive again.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
I have FSD Beta on both model X and model 3. It’s equally bad on both cars relative to how it drives. Display is worse on the X because it doesn’t display the speed limit while in city streets...

I have a Model X and I see the speed limit whether in FSD or not. It took me a minute to remember that this is what this Thread was originally about (see OP), and that I had posted about this issue in this very Thread.

Check out Post #s 207, 208, and 210.

Last year (December 2021), at least, when you had "Expanded Full-Self-Driving Visualization" setting (on the Autopilot screen) set to full-width, it eliminated the speed limit (when FSD Beta is engaged). I assume that despite more recent firmware updates that is still the problem?

Turn that setting off (shrinking and centering the FSD visualization between the left and right info tiles) and you can see speed limit again with FSD on.

For those readers with Models 3 & Y, this has to do with Models S & X and the driver's-side info display screen (in front of the steering wheel).

Downloaded, installed, and FSD 2022.12.3.20 driving initial thoughts as compared to recent FSD non beta experience.

The great - No longer do I have to acknowledge every traffic light traversing. False hesitation or slowing based on inadvertent sensor input (falsely claimed as phantom braking) tremendously reduced. I think the strategy to ignore the radar and rely on vision helped this. Able to set speed above 5 over the speed limit on auxiliary roads. Traverse construction work on auxiliary roads much improved. I had a few scenarios of making protected double lane left turn into a newly redirected lane under construction work out very nicely. Protected turns work great.

The needs a lot to some improvement - Unprotected turns. The decision making seems to be working, but, the initiation of turn to confident turn radius is still uncomfortable. When turn is initiated, the car is calculating and reacting to the not-so confident to confident turn radius with the wheel reacting to that process. The wheel significantly adjusts uncomfortably at start and gets smoother as the turn becomes more confident. I am sure most ppl would just give up on the turn at the beginning when the wheel is unsteady. When in fact it becomes more stable as the turn progresses. The speed of acceleration is a bit uncomfortable as well. I assume, the decision to turn is backed up by accelerating confidently through the turn. You don't want to hesitate if the car is confident in it's decision.

One recommendation for beginners as I have discovered. Put the FSD profile in "Chill" at first. As you gain confidence, then you could move it to "Average" or "Aggressive". The setting determines the gap and distance to merge while turning and following. I am still not comfortable with "Average" or "Aggressive" profile yet. I am sure I will get there.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
I have 2017 March Model X. Still did not get FSD beta:( I just got 2022.12.3.16.
I have cameras upgraded and MCU2 and 99 score.
It is encouraging that they are adding new users to FSD beta.
Hope I get it soon.

Reactions: Officient
I have 2017 March Model X. Still did not get FSD beta:( I just got 2022.12.3.16.
I have cameras upgraded and MCU2 and 99 score.
It is encouraging that they are adding new users to FSD beta.
Hope I get it soon.
In a very similar situation, wondering if reseting the FSD beta button post the camera upgrade by the service center is necessary? I have had the camera upgrade done for a couple months now and MCU2 done well before that...

In a very similar situation, wondering if reseting the FSD beta button post the camera upgrade by the service center is necessary? I have had the camera upgrade done for a couple months now and MCU2 done well before that...
You have a good point...shall we go ahead and reset the FSD beta request?
Can the MX owners who had camera upgrade to qualify for the FSD beta reply whether they unsubscribed and subscribed again for FSD beta after the camera upgrade is done?

Aghhh! So..hard..to..resist!! Oh, screw it.

We told you so!

Ah. That feels better.

Seriously. If you really read all the feedback you'll see that many have said that FSD Beta is not even close to being self-driving, let alone being "full" anything.

Nonetheless, it is good to participate (a) if you are really careful and (b) for those that could afford to sizeable cost of FSD.

BTW, I have a 2020/1 MX, but I don't think it is just about the X. It's all the models. However, maybe the newer (refreshed) cars (w/latest hardware/software) have a better time of it? Don't know.

What continues to annoy me are YouTube videos like:

Tesla Autopilot FSD San Francisco to Los Angeles with Zero Interventions

and

Tesla Autopilot FSD Beta San Francisco to Fremont with Zero Disengagements

and others claiming long-distance drives with hands-free, zero disengagements, people purposely napping while driving, et cetera. None of that could be true today, let alone one or two years ago. I can't go 500 feet without a "disengagement" on surface streets in my little town, let alone driving through San Francisco. These earlier videos were made before FSD Beta was provided to the general public in September(?) 2021. So they must have been completely faked using video trickery, or else perhaps made by Tesla employees using early versions of AP and/or FSD with the route pre-programmed into the software? I don't know. But having seen some of those it is doubly annoying* to experience how primitive and error-prone FSD Beta still is today. I want my car to drive me (hands-free) safely to the grocery store, now!

All that said, it can still be exciting to be part of automotive history. But would I purchase FSD again? Not sure. I just hope Tesla does right by its customers, especially those that invested in FSD early on.
_____
* Mostly, I am annoyed at myself for being so gullible.
I hope they do right by those early adopters too. I sold my 2018 that had FSD, and I'm going monthly with my new Plaid, since I'm not sure when I'll Cybertruck or upgrade or whatever. But my safety score is 100 for the last two weeks in L.A. traffic since I received my Plaid. I hope I get lucky and get it with the rest, but realize some have driven like grandma for months and they truly deserve to get Beta way before I do. So I'll wait patiently in grandma drive-land, and hold off my launches and clowning fools for now.

But before Plaid, I was in Beta, and I had many commutes in an hour of L.A. traffic with none or maybe 1 disengagements in my 2018 Model X. And like @tps5352 the worst it ever did was in a small town where I grew up, which is strange because it should be way easier there. They'll figure it out eventually. But I almost didn't get rid of the 2018 when Plaid came because I'll miss Beta so much. It is the future. And it is truly impressive, especially to engineer and software writer friends of mine, whose minds it blows every time they see it. And if you've had it and used it long enough, you'll come to understand it will be WAY safer than humans when it is complete and they've worked out the bugs. Most people comment on what they see that is incorrect, while in their midst, this computer software, these myriad lines of code, is driving the damn car! Its pretty astounding if you really think about it.

When you get into Beta there are tons of explainers and text that you need to read and pay full attention to. I know you spent this amount or that amount on FSD, but it has become much harder than the guys at Tesla, especially Elon, realized so its taking longer. This current BETA software is for us to help to get better. Its not there for us to say, hey its not perfect look at that!! Our job with Beta is to drive our roads, put mileage on, and report, report, report when it does something not right. Thats it. If you want perfection you should wait until full FSD is released to the rest of the folks. I'll repeat-- if you want perfection than you should wait until full FSD is released to the rest of the folks. If you want perfection you are clearly not ready for Beta. If you don't have the soldiering attitude, please do not opt in because we do not want to hear from you. This software will be saving lives and we don't need the whine and cheezers clogging up the space. You're in our way lol. Sorry to be so blunt but some people have the wrong idea before opting in. And no I don't work for Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Helpful