Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X opened driver door itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today is the 2nd time my car opened the driver door by itself. Both times happened at my office, strangely.

I clearly remember i closed the door and heard it latch when I left. then 10 minutes later, the door opened by itself. thank god no car was passing by. It was parked on the street at my office.

My outdoor camera recorded the whole thing. I was not even near the car when the door opened.

Recently I had both front window regulators replaced due to noise. Could it have messed with the auto door?

but how was it possible that the door would open without a key nearby?

It isn't supposed to be possible so note the time it would have occurred in and let Tesla know, research it. Every activity the car does/encounters is logged. Thus, if the key was detected or double clicked, they will see that. That is the only way the door should open - ensure you didn't have it in your pocket/back where it could get pushed twice somehow. The range is much farther to open/close doors with key versus walking up to the car.

Today is the 2nd time my car opened the driver door by itself. Both times happened at my office, strangely.

I clearly remember i closed the door and heard it latch when I left. then 10 minutes later, the door opened by itself. thank god no car was passing by. It was parked on the street at my office.

My outdoor camera recorded the whole thing. I was not even near the car when the door opened.

Recently I had both front window regulators replaced due to noise. Could it have messed with the auto door?

but how was it possible that the door would open without a key nearby?

The key is in your office - how many feet from the key to the car? If you try can you lock the car from your office? Just trying to determine if the key is involved in what's happening.

it's impossible for the key to reach that far. I went straight to lunch room which is at least 50ft away with 3 doors and walls in between, and it happened 10 minutes after I got out of the car. I was just having lunch and the key was in my pocket. no way i could press it twice by accident while eating.

i noticed another behavior the other day, if the door was not fully "latched", somehow the "soft close door" didn't work properly, the car will reopen the door.

now I have to make sure the door is fully closed, latched, and car is locked before I walk away

it's impossible for the key to reach that far. I went straight to lunch room which is at least 50ft away with 3 doors and walls in between, and it happened 10 minutes after I got out of the car. I was just having lunch and the key was in my pocket. no way i could press it twice by accident while eating.

i noticed another behavior the other day, if the door was not fully "latched", somehow the "soft close door" didn't work properly, the car will reopen the door.

now I have to make sure the door is fully closed, latched, and car is locked before I walk away
What does the service center say? I'd take it in for diagnosis and repair.

I have had this same problem. Got my model x at the end of November. Came back to my car only to find the driver door ajar on three different occasions and in different places. Took the car into for service. they could not find anything even with I gave they a time stamp when one of them occurred. They reloaded the softeware and said I was good to go. The very next day it happened again.

Turned the feature off. Don't want to come back to my car to find it ransacked because of this issue.

Anyone know if they have fixed this issue yet?

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I know this is completely unrelated, but if Tesla is listening, I would welcome an additional option to turn off ALL automatic door opening via fob. Thank you. Too many accidental openings, even though I've turned off everything I can...

Reactions: FlyF4
I had this happen to me and so I turned off the open via the fob.

Keep in mind that the fob is Bluetooth Low Energy 4.x and has quite a range. Like 200' sort of range. I was testing the range and went 4 houses down the block and my fob still worked.

Reactions: Fiddler
Have had it happened to me 3 times in one day a couple weeks ago. Took it in for service the did and software update, seemed fine but it just did it again today. So flustered with it. It should close the doors and lock if the key is not detected, but it doesn’t do it

I am posting to this very old thread to share our recent experience. We were driving on an extended trip on the highway when the "door warning" alarm on the right rear FWD went off. We immediately assumed our daughter had pressed the button, but she adamantly denied it. It happened again a few times while I was seeking a safe place to pull off the side of the highway. I checked the door, looked for obstructions, wiped off some of the latch area, etc. We took our key fobs and placed them in the center console to avoid any chance we might be inadvertently press on them ,However, the car continued to do it for the next 4 hours of driving, and we just had to endure it.

We were subsequently stuck in stopped traffic due to the snow, so I started browsing the web to diagnose the issue. Found this and other posts talking about it, but Tesla's solution was always related to replacing door sensors etc. I noticed one comment where the person received a call back from Tesla Service, and they confirmed the car logs said the door opening command came from the key fob.

On a whim, I took one of the key fobs and removed the battery. The other key fob remained in the car with the battery installed. Prior to this battery removal on the key fob, the car was alarming every few minutes - always from the same door. Over the next two days, it never happened again. I've then put the battery back into the same key fob and we haven't seen any issues over this last week.

Just wanted to put that out there that if you experience this issue, there's a chance the key fob is the culprit.

Yeah, these cars are great except for when they're not. I came out the other day and both the driver's door and the FWD were open.

Rick C.

The OP issue here sounds like one that was discussed in other threads and was a firmware bug, resolved in v2018.14.2. The recent posts sound like normal accidental button presses on the fob (or in one case, possibly a physically/digitally stuck/bouncing button contact on a fob).

• Helpful
The OP issue here sounds like one that was discussed in other threads and was a firmware bug, resolved in v2018.14.2. The recent posts sound like normal accidental button presses on the fob (or in one case, possibly a physically/digitally stuck/bouncing button contact on a fob).

The times I've found the doors open were when I was in a building some 80 feet away. That's a hell of a range for a key fob! I wish I could get the wifi to work even a fifth that well!

The times I've found the doors open were when I was in a building some 80 feet away. That's a hell of a range for a key fob! I wish I could get the wifi to work even a fifth that well!
I was unaware that you were currently experiencing the issue. I've seen a couple posts where you mention phantom door openings, but they sounded like they were spurred by seeing necroposts like this one and it was just another item you were concerned to have to watch for. You should definitely report it each time it happens until you can get an explanation and confirmation a fix is coming.

I believe the newer keyfobs are BT LE. Capable of transmitting 100 meters (328 feet).

Yeah... I don't know how they come up with numbers for that sort of thing, but you will be hard pressed to get BT LE to work at 100 meters. Even passing through a single wall you can expect a 10 dB attenuation. So inside a house, I would still only expect the thing to work at 50 feet.

If this really is from accidental button presses, there is a problem with the design of the key fob to allow false operation so easily. It's like telling your kids it's ok to play with the lawn darts, just be careful with them.