TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X opened driver door itself

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by mike2016, Sep 18, 2017.

1. mike2016

mike2016 Member

Today is the 2nd time my car opened the driver door by itself. Both times happened at my office, strangely.

I clearly remember i closed the door and heard it latch when I left. then 10 minutes later, the door opened by itself. thank god no car was passing by. It was parked on the street at my office.

My outdoor camera recorded the whole thing. I was not even near the car when the door opened.

Recently I had both front window regulators replaced due to noise. Could it have messed with the auto door?

but how was it possible that the door would open without a key nearby?

2. travwill

travwill Active Member

It isn't supposed to be possible so note the time it would have occurred in and let Tesla know, research it. Every activity the car does/encounters is logged. Thus, if the key was detected or double clicked, they will see that. That is the only way the door should open - ensure you didn't have it in your pocket/back where it could get pushed twice somehow. The range is much farther to open/close doors with key versus walking up to the car.

• Like x 2
  3. Electricfan

Electricfan Active Member

The key is in your office - how many feet from the key to the car? If you try can you lock the car from your office? Just trying to determine if the key is involved in what's happening.

4. mike2016

mike2016 Member

it's impossible for the key to reach that far. I went straight to lunch room which is at least 50ft away with 3 doors and walls in between, and it happened 10 minutes after I got out of the car. I was just having lunch and the key was in my pocket. no way i could press it twice by accident while eating.

i noticed another behavior the other day, if the door was not fully "latched", somehow the "soft close door" didn't work properly, the car will reopen the door.

now I have to make sure the door is fully closed, latched, and car is locked before I walk away

5. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

What does the service center say? I'd take it in for diagnosis and repair.

6. mike2016

mike2016 Member

I haven't taken the car in yet. before this happened, the car went to service twice for the front window issues , and one time involved removing the door panel to replace the window motor. not sure if it had anything to do with this issue.... it hasn't come back since then.

• Informative x 1
  7. Dave337

Dave337 New Member

I have had this same problem. Got my model x at the end of November. Came back to my car only to find the driver door ajar on three different occasions and in different places. Took the car into for service. they could not find anything even with I gave they a time stamp when one of them occurred. They reloaded the softeware and said I was good to go. The very next day it happened again.

Turned the feature off. Don't want to come back to my car to find it ransacked because of this issue.

Anyone know if they have fixed this issue yet?

• Informative x 1
  8. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

I know this is completely unrelated, but if Tesla is listening, I would welcome an additional option to turn off ALL automatic door opening via fob. Thank you. Too many accidental openings, even though I've turned off everything I can...

• Like x 1
  9. mattack4000

mattack4000 Member

Get non PUP model :)

10. Dave337

Dave337 New Member

AnxietyRanger. I second that. I had the same thought. Let the fob open any one of the doors and have the auto open off. right now it is all or non.

• Like x 1
  11. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

Must be the ghost of an employee who died on the assembly line...... trying to get out of the car :eek:

12. brd7

brd7 Member

I had this happen to me and so I turned off the open via the fob.

Keep in mind that the fob is Bluetooth Low Energy 4.x and has quite a range. Like 200' sort of range. I was testing the range and went 4 houses down the block and my fob still worked.

13. Eva.dragon

Eva.dragon New Member

Have had it happened to me 3 times in one day a couple weeks ago. Took it in for service the did and software update, seemed fine but it just did it again today. So flustered with it. It should close the doors and lock if the key is not detected, but it doesn’t do it