TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model X opened driver door itself

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by mike2016, Sep 18, 2017.

1. mike2016

mike2016 Member

Today is the 2nd time my car opened the driver door by itself. Both times happened at my office, strangely.

I clearly remember i closed the door and heard it latch when I left. then 10 minutes later, the door opened by itself. thank god no car was passing by. It was parked on the street at my office.

My outdoor camera recorded the whole thing. I was not even near the car when the door opened.

Recently I had both front window regulators replaced due to noise. Could it have messed with the auto door?

but how was it possible that the door would open without a key nearby?

2. travwill

travwill Active Member

It isn't supposed to be possible so note the time it would have occurred in and let Tesla know, research it. Every activity the car does/encounters is logged. Thus, if the key was detected or double clicked, they will see that. That is the only way the door should open - ensure you didn't have it in your pocket/back where it could get pushed twice somehow. The range is much farther to open/close doors with key versus walking up to the car.

• Like x 1
  3. Electricfan

Electricfan Active Member

The key is in your office - how many feet from the key to the car? If you try can you lock the car from your office? Just trying to determine if the key is involved in what's happening.

4. mike2016

mike2016 Member

it's impossible for the key to reach that far. I went straight to lunch room which is at least 50ft away with 3 doors and walls in between, and it happened 10 minutes after I got out of the car. I was just having lunch and the key was in my pocket. no way i could press it twice by accident while eating.

i noticed another behavior the other day, if the door was not fully "latched", somehow the "soft close door" didn't work properly, the car will reopen the door.

now I have to make sure the door is fully closed, latched, and car is locked before I walk away

5. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

What does the service center say? I'd take it in for diagnosis and repair.

6. mike2016

mike2016 Member

I haven't taken the car in yet. before this happened, the car went to service twice for the front window issues , and one time involved removing the door panel to replace the window motor. not sure if it had anything to do with this issue.... it hasn't come back since then.

• Informative x 1