TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Option Speculation

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ilovtesl, Apr 3, 2014.

1. ilovtesl

ilovtesl Member

Do you think tesla will announce the 110kw battery for model x which will give it 325 miles???

2. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

3. MikeL

MikeL some guy

No :tongue:

4. ilovtesl

ilovtesl Member

why yes and no???

5. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Possibly.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you think anyone would actually know?

6. MikeL

MikeL some guy

So you now have the entire range of possible answers. :smile:

Reasons for "no" are Weight, $$$$$, and the fact that it's on the Model S platform which, for now is 60 & 85 kWh - only.

But . . . the only constant is change. You know that new battery developments are coming, so . . .

7. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

Yes, 110 or other larger battery than the current 85, but no it will not get 325 miles or rated range. It also might not be available at launch. I am thinking they need to get the battery cost down unless the model X is going to start at six figures.

8. engle

engle Member

My guess is yes for the "Performance" Model X as an option, since they have a higher margin on the battery upgrades, correct? I believe that's why they quote a shorter delivery time for the Model S Performance, yes? Whenever it does happen I think they will announce the option for the Model S, also, at the same time, since the basic platform is shared. What is the estimated EPA range of a Model S with a 110kw battery?

Patiently waiting... (Actually, to be honest, I refresh the "Model X" main page here on more than a daily basis!!!)

9. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

Yes because a larger battery will probably be necessary to maintain range parity with Model S. I think the market would react poorly to any significant range reduction. Tesla has instilled an expectation that EVs, and especially Tesla EVs, will improve over time. And Model S will be over 2 years old. There's no room to be taking a step back, imho.

10. ilovtesl

ilovtesl Member

still i think they will do it or at least for signature model x owners

11. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

It would be silly to spend all that R and D for only the Signatures. More likely all Performance models.

12. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

13. GenericSpoon

GenericSpoon Member

I don't think they will add a larger battery than 85kWh for cost reasons, parts commonality between the Model S and Model X(for the battery pack/drivetrain) and the fact that it is expected by pretty much everyone that the Model X's range will be lower than that of a comparable Model S in addition to its range that will surely be enough to cover the distance between two SuperChargers.

14. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

Tesla has a tendency to overdeliver, so fingers crossed for my son that there is a larger battery option

15. ilovtesl

ilovtesl Member

I really really hope they add a battery like a 110 to make up for the miles that it lost because of it's size

16. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

You must be new to Tesla. The sig owners get less choice not more.

17. uscrxdr

uscrxdr New Member

since the model x will have 2 motors, it can't get the same range as the s with the 85kw battery

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'm not so sure it has to do with the motors as much as the size of the beast. Even if it weighs about the same, there's just more to move through the air.

19. sandwich

sandwich Member

Earlier this year in Oslo, Elon said that the X would be 10% less efficient than the S primarily due to larger frontal area moving through the air. JB has stated that adding the second drive unit is energy neutral . There is no mechanical linkage between the front and rear units, so no efficiency loss there.

20. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

The Model S 60 kWh has an EPA rated range of 208. I believe Tesla will somehow make sure the X's 60 kWh range doesn't fall below 200 miles which seems to be Elon's sweet spot.
    Not ruling out a larger batter but there are other options. For example cameras instead of windows "might" do the trick.