Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Option Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking a tow option also. Many car companies offer a tow option upgrade. I was thinking 5,000lbs, thats what my old 2000 Frontier could tow. I didn't realize horse trailers weigh so much. I don't expect the Model X to tow what a half ton truck can but at least comparable to a quarter ton (Tacoma or Ford Ranger). Not sure what trucks can tow these days but growing up it seemed all those small trucks were maxing out at 5,000lbs tow rating.

Wishful thinking on my part. Figure average horse weighs 1,500-2,000# and trailer another 2,500+, and 'gear' ( I am NOT the horse person in my family....dang horses..sorry Nigel:wink:). But it would be nice. Iagree that it would be great to tow 3,000+ though as it would satsify many 'non horse' people

Wishful thinking on my part. Figure average horse weighs 1,500-2,000# and trailer another 2,500+, and 'gear'.....

Average 2-horse trailers are in the 2-3,000lb range, but you'll find perfectly good ones (E.g. Featherlite brand) at the low end of that range. However, light riding horses (assuming we not towing budweiser draft horses here) would be in the range of 1-1,300lbs. I'd guess for a trailer and two show horses about 4,300-4,500 including gear; that's a number I'd like to be able to pull in a 100 mile range with my Model X.

P.S. good job my daughter isn't on TMC, she'd report the "dang horses" comment for snippiness. ;-)

Average 2-horse trailers are in the 2-3,000lb range, but you'll find perfectly good ones (E.g. Featherlite brand) at the low end of that range. However, light riding horses (assuming we not towing budweiser draft horses here) would be in the range of 1-1,300lbs. I'd guess for a trailer and two show horses about 4,300-4,500 including gear; that's a number I'd like to be able to pull in a 100 mile range with my Model X.

P.S. good job my daughter isn't on TMC, she'd report the "dang horses" comment for snippiness. ;-)

No problem. My wife and daughter already call me out on snippiness on their love of horses/riding. I call myself 'the enabler'. Once I retire....no more horse 'enabling'. :)

We have two warm bloods...one eventer/one dressage...just shoot me now! So, 3,000# of horse with 'of course' a primo two horse trailer with large change area storage that we carry half the house in.....sorry....guess this really is 'snippy'. :biggrin:

We have two warm bloods...one eventer/one dressage...just shoot me now! So, 3,000# of horse with 'of course' a primo two horse trailer with large change area storage that we carry half the house in.....sorry....guess this really is 'snippy'. :biggrin:

We have Hunter/Jumpers, I got fed up with the amount of stuff we schlep around to competitions so I sold my boat and bought an RV, that also means no more staying in cheap motels and we have somewhere air-conditioned to hang out in between rounds.

In a vain attempt to keep this conversation on topic I'll add that I think Model X will have plenty of storage options and opportunities to mount racks etc, I really hope it does have the capacity to tow a two-horse trailer.

What do you think that the Model X MUST have in order to be a luxury electric SUV: I think it should have all the features of a Honda Minivan but more stuff

SUV can have all the luxury features and tow larger loads as well. Think Range Rover, Toyota Sequoia, Nissan Armada. The BMWS and Audis SUVs have minimal towing capability. I am not sure if the X will have a strong enough frame for towing larger load like Nigel and I are hoping for because of the added weight, and therefor, the decrease in range. Personally (and I know that it is not for everyone, and I am in the minority) I would sacrifice some range to be able to have 7,000# tow capacity.

. . . Or just get the X out to customers by end of 2015 with the 60 & 85.

2014 right?

and AlMc, if you are pulling 7000 lbs, you WILL be sacrificing "some" range ! Ha.
I figure that you mean "the ability" to tow that much will decrease range, absolutely true. Every single thing about the design would need to be beefed up, iow, Made Heavier. Drivetrain, chassis/frame, suspension etc. I have a Dodge 2500 4X4 & the reason it doesn't hardly notice when I put an entire pallet of bags of concrete mix, or whatever, into it is because everything on it is so heavy. & It should have a vanity plate that says "SUX GAS". I'd prefer to have my Model X be as light as possible. BUT ! - I do have a little ski boat, I think it weighs about 1,600 dry. Can we compromise at rated to tow 2,500ish? Maybe trade in those beauties for a couple nice light (cheap :eek:) ponies ?! :wink:

edit: I guess I skipped over your last post which says just that - except about ponies.

Last edited:
2014 right?

and AlMc, if you are pulling 7000 lbs, you WILL be sacrificing "some" range ! Ha.
I figure that you mean "the ability" to tow that much will decrease range, absolutely true. Every single thing about the design would need to be beefed up, iow, Made Heavier. Drivetrain, chassis/frame, suspension etc. I have a Dodge 2500 4X4 & the reason it doesn't hardly notice when I put an entire pallet of bags of concrete mix, or whatever, into it is because everything on it is so heavy. I'd prefer to have my Model X by as light as possible. BUT ! - I do have a little ski boat, I think it weighs about 1,600 dry. Can we compromise at rated to tow 2,500ish? Maybe trade in those beauties for a couple nice light (cheap :eek:) ponies ?! :wink:

Agreed. I have a gas guzzling Tundra to pull the trailer. I know I am in the minority for this type of increased frame and suspension weight to pull the trailer. I am perfectly willing to make you a great deal on a couple nice horses but realize I will be homeless ratger quickly....wife/daughter would not be happy!

How are you going to Supercharge when you are hauling a trailer? Think about the layout of the Supercharger stalls...

If anything, this seems like every bit as important a problem to solve as a storage box on the roof. Interesting that no one has brought it up yet.

How are you going to Supercharge when you are hauling a trailer? Think about the layout of the Supercharger stalls...

If anything, this seems like every bit as important a problem to solve as a storage box on the roof. Interesting that no one has brought it up yet.

Unhook the trailer, charge car, attach the trailer, drive. Not a problem.

I drive vehicles with trailers often enough and it takes literally <1 minute to hook up or unhook a trailer. With a HD reversing camera on the X it will be even easier.