Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Option Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unhook the trailer, charge car, attach the trailer, drive. Not a problem.

I drive vehicles with trailers often enough and it takes literally <1 minute to hook up or unhook a trailer. With a HD reversing camera on the X it will be even easier.

+1. Slight inconvenience, maybe. Bring on the problem....I will happily deal with it if it can tow something more than a lawn tractor! :biggrin:

I really hope Tesla added AC for each row. Driving a car in AZ, especially now that summer is here, really requires AC outlets in each row or it becomes unbearable really fast. It doesn't matter if the roof or windows have some kind of insulation. In the middle of the summer, you need a constant cold air flow.

I really hope Tesla added AC for each row. Driving a car in AZ, especially now that summer is here, really requires AC outlets in each row or it becomes unbearable really fast. It doesn't matter if the roof or windows have some kind of insulation. In the middle of the summer, you need a constant cold air flow.
That is really an excellent point. We have seen people have to rig-up cooling for the rear facing seats in the Model S even. That was a poorly thought out aspect. Has anyone asked Tesla about vents in the 2nd and 3rd row?

Earlier this year in Oslo, Elon said that the X would be 10% less efficient than the S primarily due to larger frontal area moving through the air. JB has stated that adding the second drive unit is energy neutral . There is no mechanical linkage between the front and rear units, so no efficiency loss there.

I believe the frunk motor will be smaller and more efficient than the rear, and will only kick in at highway speeds or under heavy loads. Like a lot of AWD vehicles, I think S/W will determine when less (or conversely more) power/torque is needed and will adjust accordingly. Less HP at highway speeds > FWD only if possible, with better efficiency. More power or torque, rear or both as S/W determines. Disclaimer: I'm not an engineer and as such this is just a WAG.

I believe the frunk motor will be smaller and more efficient than the rear, and will only kick in at highway speeds or under heavy loads. Like a lot of AWD vehicles, I think S/W will determine when less (or conversely more) power/torque is needed and will adjust accordingly. Less HP at highway speeds > FWD only if possible, with better efficiency. More power or torque, rear or both as S/W determines. Disclaimer: I'm not an engineer and as such this is just a WAG.

Hey, at least you know what a WAG is, and I certainly believe this is not a SWAG!

Based on the shareholder meeting, I'm willing to believe in something between cruise control and autonomous driving. If there is ability for the car to "take the wheel" then automated parallel parking seems reasonable to hope for. I liked what Mr. Musk had to say about the second row of seats. I could believe in some sort of ability of the vehicle to make it easier to enter.

While I agree that probably the front motor will be both dimensioned and geared differently than the rear motor I don't think it will be more efficient. The motor in the S is already >93% efficient over a very broad spectrum of RPMs.

I will ask Jerome Guillen about this in Oslo July 14th (Tesla owners club Norway yearly meeting).