Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Option Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi -- Pardon the questions from the n00b.

I've been looking at the Model X off and on for about a year now and am getting more serious about reserving one. I thought the dual motors (front & rear) was an option...? Perhaps it was in the not too distant past and was changed? Or has it always been AWD and I am only now noticing it?

I don't need AWD and the extra mass & cost is a bit of a downer.

TIA

geosynch

I think the 110Kwh battery is quite feasible, and even more. Considering that the Model X is going to be much taller than the S and that the seats are in a more upright position, it would likely be possible to put a fourth battery pack under the two front seat rows.
It may not be practical from some other angles (e.g. a quick battery swap may be very tough if battery packs vary in shape) but there's the space, and weight wise it would likely be less than a 10% difference, nothing terrible. I wouldn't pay extra for it, 85Kwh seems enough for my use, but for as long as people are willing to pay for it...
This, of course, assuming that no new chemistry is available. With two years from the release of Model S to the release of Model X, a new chemistry is not too unlikely.

Additional 'option' speculation: Any guesses on towing capacity? My guess is yes, but very limited (1-2,000lbs). Personally, I would give up some mileage for the ability to tow 7-8,000 lbs (two horse trailer) but I realize I am in the minority.

Additional 'option' speculation: Any guesses on towing capacity? My guess is yes, but very limited (1-2,000lbs). Personally, I would give up some mileage for the ability to tow 7-8,000 lbs (two horse trailer) but I realize I am in the minority.

I was thinking a tow option also. Many car companies offer a tow option upgrade. I was thinking 5,000lbs, thats what my old 2000 Frontier could tow. I didn't realize horse trailers weigh so much. I don't expect the Model X to tow what a half ton truck can but at least comparable to a quarter ton (Tacoma or Ford Ranger). Not sure what trucks can tow these days but growing up it seemed all those small trucks were maxing out at 5,000lbs tow rating.