Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model x or Model 3...decisions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm gearing up for purchase day. I've had my eye on the Model X since it was released but now with the Model 3 as an option I'm torn. I love the idea of more room but can live with a 5 seater. What are the real nuisances between the two? I've watched all the YouTube videos one can find but want to check all my resources before I commit to one. TIA.

There's a pretty significant price difference between the two and they fill very different functional needs. The question is fundamentally no different than one that people have been asking themselves for a while: Do I want a sedan or do I want an SUV? In this case, the 3 is a midsize sedan, not even a full sized sedan (like the S would be).

Personally, I would try to answer the "sedan versus SUV" question before I get lost in the details of the differences between the 3 and the X.

Reactions: jboy210 and P85_DA
I'm gearing up for purchase day. I've had my eye on the Model X since it was released but now with the Model 3 as an option I'm torn. I love the idea of more room but can live with a 5 seater. What are the real nuisances between the two? I've watched all the YouTube videos one can find but want to check all my resources before I commit to one. TIA.
If cost and exterior dimensions are not a problem then the X all the way. I have an X and my son has a 3. I've driven it 400 miles on a roadtrip.

Reactions: P85_DA
Model X is way more of a car. It's way more of a car even compares to Model S. Roominess and comfort is second to none. More functions and features, some might say gimmickry, in there too. Costs a lot more of course but I'm sure you have that figured out already.

Reactions: Maaz
I went through the same motions earlier this summer.
Ended up going with the X.

Note, I'm in Canada so prices here are different:

- Model 3 AWD in the color I wanted with EAP: $80,000
- Model X 75D in the color I wanted with EAP: $120,000

(Model 3 LR has way more range than the X 75D I was comparing it to. However, that wasn't really an issue and if MR with AWD was available it would likely be what I compared it to)

I sat on the Model 3 and test drove the X. (Test drives for the 3 weren't available yet)

The 3 was nice, REALLY nice. Way nicer than I pictured it so this decision was very difficult to me.
However, in the end, the X is a MUCH larger car. A Highway cruiser, very comfortable and planted.

The 3 was something I would have bought if I didn't have kids. If it was just me and my wife.

In the end, it came down to the 3 not having a heated steering wheel. Can you believe it? $40,000 extra for the damn heated steering wheel.

I don't regret it though. Not one minute.

We have both and have previously owned an S. Like others are saying, they're obviously quite different cars. The X is useful for transporting kids around and carrying stuff. It is, of course, much larger and heavier. If driving pleasure if your main concern, the 3 is much more fun to drive than an X. It's obviously less spacious for people and the ingress/egress is much more restrictive (but still very normal for a car of its size). They're kind of hard to compare unless we know why you really want one or the other.

Got the X and 3.

If you don’t have kids I’d get the 3. Otherwise the X.

I woudlnt swap our X as our main family car for anything else on the road, the space/utility is just unbeatable, not to mention the aweason view provided by the windscreen and powered doors. But its the cargo space that astounds me still, not sure many other cars can fit a fully built cot bed in the back AND have space for a Isofix rear facing child seat!!!

41948823955_854bd05140_z_d.jpg

BUT I also cannot wait for my wife to take delivery of her Model 3 - either AWD or P, not decided fully. Whilst the X is a fab SUV to drive you do feel the weight shift on twisty roads, the 3 though will be aweason from the pure driving point of view.

Most families havr 2 cars these days, cannot think of a better combination than a 3 and X, that way there is no need to worry about picking one over the other :).

Last edited:
So I test drove a friend’s 3 today. The back seat is way too small. I have 2 kids. If it was just me it would be fine. Even to fit an adult back there is questionable.
I then went to tesla to drive the X...again. I’m sold. Now I need to decide if I buy before 11/20 for the tax credit or buy used. I have an overnight test drive tomorrow.

Any words of wisdom?

It sounds like this is too late for the OP, but for others deciding: we have an X and a 3.

For day-to-day driving, I far prefer the 3. 1500lbs lighter - smaller, easier to park, far more efficient, it depreciates less, and has much more pleasant handling. I take it whenever I can.

But, man, there are a lot of times when that X comes in handy. The frunk is way bigger and easier to get in to. The higher roofline and doors make it a lot easier for our limited-mobility parents to get in and out - and, I can open and close the door for them from the inside. And of course it has a ton more cargo space - and that big, powered hatch makes it easier to get to. It comes with a hitch (though you can add one to a 3). I think it's more comfortable, although that is obviously subjective. It also has a fob, which comes in handy for opening doors and using summon, and works all the time for passive entry (unlike my phone with the 3, which only works about 80% of the time). I also like having two screens, as you can display more data at once. When driving to a trailhead, the adjustable suspension is nice. When out driving for pleasure, the extra view through the large windshield enhances the experience.

Both have similar Supercharging schemes these days. The stereo systems seem pretty comparable (but try them; they are different). Autopilot does pretty much the same thing in each. Phone app access is about the same.

I really like having both, and being able to pick the best tool for the job. If I could only have one Tesla...I'd have a Model S. Most of the cargo space and accessibility of the X, while being somewhat more efficient and not quite as ponderous to drive (though still more of a boat than the 3). (Before the X and 3, we had two Model S, and put over 100k on them. Great cars. Also the best-looking of the bunch IMO).

As for the OP's more-current concern about how to buy an X: definitely look around for used ones...but I was very disappointed when I looked. There were very few available, and they were very little less than buying a new one. Inventory, as RedMS mentioned, is another good idea to try - I got a fantastic deal on an S that way once - but there are usually not many of them in inventory, either. I ended up buying a new one.

Do you own a business? The MX qualifies for a section 179 deduction.

Used values tend to be on the strong side, and you'll want one that is a recent build (MCU2, which were built in late February 2018). The prior MCU1 builds have noticeably slower touch screens (plenty of youtube comparison videos you can watch). When you narrow for recent builds, and factor in the tax deduction, the premium for a new one is rather low. A new inventory car (use ev-cpo.com to find one) gets you some savings and quick delivery, but may not be exactly what you want. For example, we wanted a 100D, 6 seat with the console with the white interior. There were simply no inventory cars with that config.

Place your order quickly. You have three days risk free to unwind it if you get cold feet.

X is our preferred ride when we all go out together (3 kids). It’s just way, way more convenient with automatic doors and space for all the kids stuff, especially going to theme park with 2 strollers.

If I had to pick between the two as family car, Model X hands down.

While I installed 3 car seats in my Model 3, it’s only had less than 500 miles after 2 months, and that’s mainly because my wife told me to drive it the first weekend on a longer trip otherwise we’ll never get to drive it. Yep she was right. Don’t get me wrong it’s a very fun car especially the performance model that we have, but it just can’t beat the X for convenience.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
The true question is:
Do i have a price limit?

If yes.. get the 3

If no.. get the X

Model X owner, no regrets.

Personally the model 3 looks very "generic" to me. At least the interior.
The X on the other hand, is a mobile attention grabbing car lightshow..

My 2018 X had none of the commonly mentioned issues ive read about. I feel confident the X production has improved.

• Love
Reactions: CO Proud and P85_DA