Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X or Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never tried or even sat in a X. Just simply refused to look at one because A) Never really liked the looks and b) Not going to pay that much money for a car.

Stumbled across this video this morning. An owner who has both and his opinion. Well worth the watch IMHO.

When I first went to test drive the Y there was an older gentleman who was having his Y delivered. As we waited outside due to covid restrictions we chatted a bit. He was giving his wife the X and was going to use the Y for himself. Odd as reflects pretty much the video above.

Maybe there is a hidden agenda as typically X chromosomes are female and XY male. Hmmm! I may be not to something.

Last edited:
I got to sit in a model x for a bit recently. What I liked about it over my Model Y was the view from the front. The x has more glass when looking around (and up) compared to the y. It felt more open.

I liked the seats and radio better as well. I didn't get to drive it so no comparison there.

Reactions: g0bears
I am still amazed with the sound quality of the Y's entertainment system. It surpasses every system I have ever owned, even the system in my previous Genesis which was advertised as being "Lexicon", 21 speaker, Blah,Blah,Blah. Only other manufacturer to use this brand is Rolls Royce. :eek:

My favorite feature is asking it to play X song or find X artist. Try "Pink Floyd Time" and crank it up a bit. Heck even asked for some weird French artists for my wife which it found no problem. It then continues to play similar music from a variety of artist. Love it.

I got to sit in a model x for a bit recently. What I liked about it over my Model Y was the view from the front. The x has more glass when looking around (and up) compared to the y. It felt more open.

I liked the seats and radio better as well. I didn't get to drive it so no comparison there.

I agree, I like the cleaner look of the MY front. I haven't actually sat in a Model X but I can barely handle the size of the MY as my previous car was a Fiat so I can't imagine trying to adjust to the size difference in an X. I only need so much car.

Funny, because I took delivery of a MYP yesterday, and my wife has a 2016 MX. I’ll look at them objectively if it ever stops raining, but in general, I agree with this guy.
The X is way more technology packed. Simply electric everything. The MY is sportier and better handling. The biggest difference, in my opinion, is that the MX feels more luxurious in ride and interior space. While the measurements are close, the X is definitely the bigger vehicle.

Reactions: jb401
I agree, I like the cleaner look of the MY front. I haven't actually sat in a Model X but I can barely handle the size of the MY as my previous car was a Fiat so I can't imagine trying to adjust to the size difference in an X. I only need so much car.

It is all relative. We have the X - for my wife. She is use to Ford F350 crew cabs and Explorers, so the X seems a little small to her. She would not even look at a Y. So it is different strokes. She also really likes all the automatic doors.

PXL_20201217_162214311~2.jpg View attachment 619621

Very lucky to have a '20 MYP and '21MXLR.

MY is the superior car: Better tech by far (always works, MX tech fails a lot), better storage, slightly better seats, better value for money.

MX has far superior ride quality, better range and is more appropriate for drives with our three kids. FWD is a God send for loading an infant seat and getting little kids in and out.

Have done 2,000mi+ road trips in both and both were awesome, but MX is better for my bigger family. If I only had two kids or fewer, I'd just have the Y. Really love both cars but family size, I think, is the deciding factor.

I looked at an X when initially wanting to join the Tesla family. The showstopper for me was that the X is just too damn big. Trying to squeeze that into the tiny Bay Area parking spots and then worrying the whole time about some careless person dinging it was more than I could stomach.

Reactions: noshadow
Some reasons why I got the MY instead of the MX:
1. I don't like how the MX windshield allows the sun in my eyes when it's pretty high in the sky (dark tint helps, but not enough for me). The tiny sun visor is not adequate. This would be an issue for my commute at least two months of the year.
2. The vertical screen crowds my right knee and the bulky center of the dash makes the front seats feel less open. Unless I have the seat about as low as it goes, the corner of the screen hits my knee.
3. The 5 seat version isn't as nice for two rear passengers as the center roof between the falcon wing doors is imposing. The 7 seat version is a little worse. The 6 seat is nice, but costs another $6500. If you regularly drive with 3+ older kids, the MY is too narrow though.
4. The MX takes way more energy per mile. With 25 kWh more battery, the range is similar to the LR MY. (I average 243 Wh/mi.)
5. The falcon wing doors are slow, problematic in garages, and prone to break. If we still had kids in car seats, I bet they'd be great though.
6. The MX ride, while smoother, feels disconnected and isn't nearly as fun to drive.
7. The MX is way more expensive.
8. There are many more things to break on the MX with quite a few stories about reliability issues.

My previous daily driver is over 22' long and 8' wide, so both the MX and MY feel tiny and simple to park to me.

One look at the falcon wing doors and my spouse said no way would she want it or drive it. That ruled it out completely.

Unless they offer regular or sliding doors and refresh it, we would not consider the X. Nor the S unless it has a complete refresh.

Our family has both.
I love the Y, but I'll give a few shout outs for the X:
  1. If you want to feel the most pampered, get the X
  2. The doors of the X are all electric and powered. Once you set it, you get in with a press of the door bar, and close the door with a press of the brake. That's cool
  3. A second screen in the binnacle is nice
  4. The middle screen is less crowded and easier to reach
  5. It's slightly bigger
  6. It's less sporty, but more comfortable to drive
  7. It's got the cool factor over the Y
  8. Finally, it's the only Tesla that will do this -

If I had to do it all over again, I would have saved my money and gotten the Model X instead. I am still on that path if Tesla ever decides to refresh the Model X by giving it a bigger battery or tri-motor option, I will trade-in my MYP for an X in a heartbeat.

The Model Y is minimal and convenient, but lacks style and comfort. Because I purchased the MYP in June with VIN #13XXX, I missed out the discounted price, referral program for free supercharging (did that qualify during that time), and now a Model Y refresh with the new headlights, taillights, center console, dual pane glass, faux steering wheel, auto-dimming mirrors, USB port in the glovebox, etc...

It has been happiness and regret since I have purchased the MYP. Mostly regret though.