Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X or Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to decide to get a X or order a Y as follows:

Model X
  • Model X Long Range $84,990
  • Pearl White Multi-Coat Included
  • 20" Silver Wheels Included
  • All Black Premium Interior with Figured Ash Wood Décor Included
  • Five Seat Interior Included
  • Autopilot Included
  • Full Self-Driving Capability$7,000
  • Free Unlimited Supercharging Included
  • Purchase Price$91,990
Model Y
  • Model Y Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive $48,000
  • Pearl White Paint Included
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels Included
  • All Black Premium Interior Included
  • Autopilot Included
  • Full Self-Driving Capability $7,000
  • Purchase Price $55,000
Here are some initial thoughts:
1) I do not mind to pay extra $36,990 for X if it is a "better value".
2) Insurance for X can be twice as much as insurance for Y. Do not really like that.
3) Falcon-wing door, love it or hate it? Any potential problems?
4) Free Unlimited Supercharging. Big saving for X over Y or not really?
5) Maintenance/repair cost difference. Do not want get into a headache later on.
6) If you had choice then, would you get a Y instead of X and why?

Any comments and advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I am trying to decide to get a X or order a Y as follows:

Model X
  • Model X Long Range $84,990
  • Pearl White Multi-Coat Included
  • 20" Silver Wheels Included
  • All Black Premium Interior with Figured Ash Wood Décor Included
  • Autopilot Included
  • Full Self-Driving Capability$7,000
  • Free Unlimited Supercharging Included
  • Purchase Price$91,990
Model Y
  • Model Y Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive $48,000
  • Pearl White Paint Included
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels Included
  • All Black Premium Interior Included
  • Autopilot Included
  • Full Self-Driving Capability $7,000
  • Purchase Price $55,000
Here are some initial thoughts:
2) Insurance for X can be twice as much as insurance for Y. Do not really like that.
5) Maintenance/repair cost difference. Do not want get into a headache later on.

Any comments and advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I saw a white MY at the factory on Saturday, and a bunch of MY parts laying in wait in the factory during the tour.
Personally, the only reason I am planning to buy a (used) MX is to tow my boat during the summer, (until my CT comes) otherwise I would buy a MY.
IMHO, the Y is going to crush the MX in value unless you absolutely need the extra room or towing with the MX. I love the falcon wing doors, but I realize they are a little impractical.
Once the MY comes out the MX is going to take a big hit until they update it (why I'm waiting for used MX prices to adjust after MY ramp).
Again IMHO. Am I wrong?

What do you think about Model X redesign coming at the end of the year? Tesla Model S Plaid will get an even bigger battery, Musk says - Roadshow
Wednesday at earnings conference we should hear new Model Y production timeline estimates. Might also announce new battery options for X. Model Y will still be hard to come by until Q3 when production ramps up. You might have to order a performance Y to get one earlier as Tesla tends to deliver those first. Model Y will have faster charging, latest hardware 3, be more efficient than used Model X and perhaps some unannounced features.

Last edited:

Value is in the eye of the buyer. What do you value? Size? Interior space? Range? Cost? The higher priced car does loose more money, even if they both depreciate the same %.

Makes sense. The S is a good bit higher than our 3.

I personally don't care for them. Don't like the attention. I have friends that just love them! The only real negative is more moving parts and low ceilings.

Depends on how much you drive, where you drive, and if you don't have home charging. Waking up to a charged car every morning is fantastic and worth $$ to me. I have a supercharger 15 miles from me. Used it once.

Our 3 yer old S has been to a supercharger ~10-15 times on trips. Our 15 month old 3 hasn't been to one yet.

Tires would likely cost more on the X. Otherwise, should be very similar.

I'd get the S :)

Model X over Model 3 (Y is mostly a 3)

Physical Wiper Control
Two Sensitivity Levels Auto Wiper
Real Towing (X only)
Free SuperCharging
Safer due to Weight (my opinion)
Nicer Next button on Wheel
Heated Wheel
True Key Fob (this might be a Con)
No ripping liner under car
No bumper ripping off
No roof glass cracking
Two screens
Much larger main screen.
Slightly better EPA range (Ton on S)
Powered lift gate (Y might have too)
Cornering lights
More sensors (mostly doors and roof for FWD)
Smoother Ride
Quieter Ride (extremely important to me and Model 3 was unacceptable for me and Y will likely be similar)
Bolstered Seats
Front Windshield unreal (X only)
Perfect ProClip mount (no space right side of steering wheel on 3/Y)
Dark headliner (might be light on S)
Real glovebox button
All doors powered (X Only, sometimes annoying)
All doors aware of their environment
Plastic rockers and wheel wells (X Only, maybe Y too)
Much better in the Snow (Model 3 AWD with snows surprisingly poor, Y will be the same, rear bias)
Cleaner OBDII access
Dynamic Air Suspension (the most important difference)
No frozen door handles (S could be as bad)
Better Audio (bigger sub, 3 is no slouch)
Storage Space (X is unreal, Y should be pretty good)
Unlimited mile warranty on battery and drives for 8 years (very important for some folks)
True battery heater (this is as much a plus as a minus)
Extended Warranty Option (very important to me)

Last edited:
We have a 2 1/2 year old x. Would never trade for a y. Like the space. I would get the 7 seater for more versatility, plus a rear air vent. We also own a 3. The x is much easier to get in and out of. The seats are nicer in the x, especially on trips. The new x is awd and an active suspension. The free supercharger use is a nice perk but not a deal breaker. I personally like the fwd, never had any issues with ours.

We have had an X for over 2 years, and a 3 for over a year. We are looking at the Y, and there's a lot of details that Tesla hasn't announced yet, but we think it will more likely replace our 3 than our X.

Advantages to our Tesla Model X (additions to mswlogo's great list above):

· Better autopilot controls

· Better seats

· Biohazard filter

· Adjustable suspension height

· More room in 3rd row, at least

Advantages to a potential Tesla Model Y replacement

· A little smaller, so a little easier to park

· Likely better handling

· Likely better reliability, but who knows. Or at least cheaper repairs

· Feels less like we are “showing off”

· Likely a fair bit more efficient

Answers to some of OP's questions:

You might try shopping around...what we're paying with PEMCO is not very far off for our cars (X and 3).

If the X offered a choice, I'd have chosen conventional doors just to help avoid any future issues. But so far we have not had any issues, and the falcon doors really are easy to use and work well.

Depends on how you drive...no advantage at all to my father, but we travel quite a bit so it's a nice benefit. Still not huge in the overall scheme of what you pay for the cars, though.

I would anticipate the Y will be better than the X, but you never know. I know there were a lot of problems with early X's, but ours has been pretty good. A lot of the reported problems seems to be cosmetic, NVH, and things of that nature rather than the car not working.

I am fairly confident we will not replace our X with a Y. But if we had to start over and buy new, I dunno - that price difference is pretty big. But the X really does offer a lot of stuff that many Y proponents seem to ignore. Whether it's worth it to you depends on what value you place on the features and how much you will miss the money.

Also...if you don't need towing, or seating for more than 5, or really tall doors for ingress/egress...you should look at the S too! That's our overall favorite and what I'd likely buy if it was to be our only Tesla, although my wife got an X for ingress/egress for her father, and given that we have the X for space a 3 is fine for our second vehicle.

Last edited:
You need to decide your priorities. The X is a much larger vehicle. Do you need the space to haul up to 7 and their stuff, or at least 5 full size adults and their stuff. If so, then the X is for you. Do you want a softer more comfortable ride, then like the Air suspension in the X is a better option. Do you want the Falcon wing doors that make it easy to get in and out of the rear, but do drip on people when it rains. Then the X is for you. Do you want the interiors of the 3 with the single center display than the Y is for you. Is cost the key factor, then the Y is for you. A lot of choices.

On your questions
- Unlimited Supercharging is to me not a reason to get any model. Because 95% of the time I come home and plug in. I have Supercharged less than a dozen times in the last 18 months. And even then I often only add 30% or less. I just go because it is free and there are locations all over so if I am at 60% I plug in while getting a haircut or running into a store.
- On maintenance items, the Y is brand new, and year one of any car regardless of manufacturer has more issues than subsequent years.
- My lease is up in 14 months or so, so at that time I will decide between the Y or X. I like the X a lot, so the Y will have to be something special to get me to change.

We have had an X for over 2 years, and a 3 for over a year. We are looking at the Y, and there's a lot of details that Tesla hasn't announced yet, but we think it will more likely replace our 3 than our X.

Advantages to our Tesla Model X (additions to mswlogo's great list above):

· Better autopilot controls

· Better seats

· Biohazard filter

· Adjustable suspension height

· More room in 3rd row, at least

Advantages to a potential Tesla Model Y replacement

· A little smaller, so a little easier to park

· Likely better handling

· Likely better reliability, but who knows. Or at least cheaper repairs

· Feels less like we are “showing off”

· Likely a fair bit more efficient

Answers to some of OP's questions:

You might try shopping around...what we're paying with PEMCO is not very far off for our cars (X and 3).

If the X offered a choice, I'd have chosen conventional doors just to help avoid any future issues. But so far we have not had any issues, and the falcon doors really are easy to use and work well.

Depends on how you drive...no advantage at all to my father, but we travel quite a bit so it's a nice benefit. Still not huge in the overall scheme of what you pay for the cars, though.

I would anticipate the Y will be better than the X, but you never know. I know there were a lot of problems with early X's, but ours has been pretty good. A lot of the reported problems seems to be cosmetic, NVH, and things of that nature rather than the car not working.

I am fairly confident we will not replace our X with a Y. But if we had to start over and buy new, I dunno - that price difference is pretty big. But the X really does offer a lot of stuff that many Y proponents seem to ignore. Whether it's worth it to you depends on what value you place on the features and how much you will miss the money.

Also...if you don't need towing, or seating for more than 5, or really tall doors for ingress/egress...you should look at the S too! That's our overall favorite and what I'd likely buy if it was to be our only Tesla, although my wife got an X for ingress/egress for her father, and given that we have the X for space a 3 is fine for our second vehicle.

Great points. I did have Biohazard on my list too but it got accidentally clipped.

Insurance is similar to what I paid for previous cars. I switched to Progressive for Model 3 and X is only a few dollars more (with twice the price). So it’s cheaper based on value.

As far as AutoPilot controls, sometimes I prefer the Model 3 way. Sometimes the S/X way. Sometimes if I’m fumbling Drive Reverse (like I forgot that I was in Drive) I accidentally engage TACC on Model 3 (not good). The blinker and AutoPilot controls are not far apart on S/X and I’ve fumbled AutoPilot vs Blinker controls a few times, in a panic. Like I want to quickly cancel AP/TACC but I hit the blinker first. Over time my muscle memory is learning such that it’s no longer an issue. Probably didn’t help I had Model 3 for a year first.

My gut feeling is Tesla went all out on the Model S and X and did a lot based on what they learned on the S on the X. The S still has some original design issues (like weak control arms). X has some design weaknesses too like Shudder issue (which I don’t have). The 3/Y also has what they learned from S/X but it was also a major cost cutting design and it shows. So it’s kind of a mixed bag between the Y and the X as far as reliability, luxury, cost etc. go.

It will be interesting to see how much is new in the Y and what the S/X refresh looks like. I have a feeling X refresh may come a year after S refresh. That’s why I bought now (4 months ago). If Tesla builds a better X for affordable price in a few years, I may get one. But the the X needs to earn my confidence to do so.

It is so much more fun to drive than 3. No it doesn’t drive on rails like a 3, but I rarely need to drive like that. I just want to be comfortable, quiet and safe.

Worried Tesla might cheapen S/X next go around. I hope not and they keep it premium even if they have to raise price a bit.

Reactions: Vitaman
Here's one thing I haven't seen people mention. The floor is quite high in the 3 because of the battery underneath. It leaves the rear seats feeling quite smallish. I suspect the Y will have a similar characteristic, so if rear comfort is a consideration at all, the X is miles ahead.

You have both set up as 5 seat cars. If you don't need the extra seats, and you don't plan to tow, I'm not sure the X is worth the additional investment. The falcon wings make access easier for the second row, but I don't expect the Y's access to be bad. From what we've heard of your situation, I'd probably recommend the Y.

Of course, I bought my second X in June, and I don't have kids and I've never towed with either one, so I'm not following my own advice very well. But the windshield is amazing. :) (And being easily able to tow for contingencies was a factor in my thinking, even if the contingencies haven't come up so far.)

Replacing our MX with MY. I really love our MX, and I'm going to miss the hell out of the air suspension and auto present/closing doors. However, I just really want a smaller vehicle...and saving ~$40k is a nice bonus.

It's still possible that we'll get another X in the end, however. We have 3 kids, and I'll need to see the MY in person before fully committing to the switch.

...1) I do not mind to pay extra $36,990 for X if it is a "better value"...

If value means cheaper then Y is the answer.

But if I can afford it, I would not get the Y as mentioned by others above.

My kind of "value" is that I feel good every day each time I step into the car. I love its Falcon Wing Doors.

My value is I've been able to haul lumber, marble chips, fertilizers, wood chips..., and the ease to load them through the Falcon Wing Doors:

wwAdWGd.jpg

I can have much more information from 2 separate instrument cluster screen and central screen (Model Y has only 1 single screen).

• Love
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
...2) Insurance for X can be twice as much as insurance for Y. Do not really like that...

Depending on your insurance company. My Model X premium is pretty much comparable to my old Prius' premium.

D2iqquV.jpg\

...5) Maintenance/repair cost difference. Do not want get into a headache later on...

I heard lots of reliability complaints from Consumer Reports but I've got no problem with my Model X for the past 3 years.

The only maintenance/repair so far is 4 20" tires for $1,400 after 3 years which is more than my older Model S which was $1,050 for 4 19" tires.

If you are concerned about expensive repairs, you should consider the Extended Service Agreement (Extended Warranty) which is only available to the S and X.

My Model S was running fine until its standard warranty ran out and fortunately, I bought the Extended Service Agreement which was well worth its cost multiple times.

...4) Free Unlimited Supercharging. Big saving for X over Y or not really?...

Electricity is too cheap so it is not worth my time to wait at Supercharger for "free". Time spent in waiting for a charge is a premium.

Reactions: jboy210 and Vitaman