Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X or Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I’m trying to decide if we should keep our X75D or sell and buy a model Y performance.

We really like the X, bought in 12/17. However, our daughter is off to college next year and we will be visiting often. The extra range of the Y would save us some time on this trip. Right now we have to stop 3x from NorCal to San Diego.

trying to weigh the pros and cons of each. If range and cost were equal we would defiantly keep the X. We are at 39k miles so will have to purchase an extended warranty in about a year or to without. We also have MCU1 so $2500 upgrade to MCU2 would be nice.

we did pick up FSD for 2k during the sale but paid 5k for EAP so that’s a wash.

i reserves a performance model Y a few weeks ago just in case we decide to make the swap. I would probably buy the full spec but drop down to 20’s to have max range.

anyone else trying to decide between the two?

one more factor is I have the tri motor Cybertruck I fully plan to purchase. Assuming that is available the end of 2021 we only have to deal with the range issue for about a year. In the big picture it’s probably only 5-10 hours saved over a years time based on how many trips we will probably make.

As more chargers are added the trip will
Also get quicker as stops can be timed with battery closer to zero.

Keep the X, Y charges faster but in pretty much every other category your X is better/bigger/more...

Unless MCU2 is a big deal (and if so just upgrade yours) you pretty much already have the best Electric SUV you can get.

The Cybertruck should be your next go to and that 500mi range will be awesome if that is what you are really looking for (less charging time)!

Reactions: jet44
I've been thinking about this as well, single guy with a 7 seat X and I also have the CT on order. I like the X, but the tech junkie in me is also wanting the latest and greatest. Trying my best to hold out for the CT though, it'll be annoying if I switch and the CT comes out earlier than planned next year (doubtful with Rona lingering).

I would assume the change would save you one stop from NorCal to SD. To determine if that trade off is worth it, you might look at a 3 to see what the Y experience would be like. We have both.

The 3 is more advanced in some ways (AP 3), but I miss thing like self-closing doors, space, factory installed HomeLink, etc. The 3 feels slight cheaper made and little things (single screen, no free Supercharging, Homelink $300 option, etc) seem to imply things cut for cost savings. I assume the Y is similar and imagine the CT will be the same.

It a tough choice, but no bad options, just trade-offs.

We have a model 3 and a Model X (also purchased in December of 2017), and thought about trading our X in for a Y. We decided against it, below were our reasons. But our X is a 100D, so the range issue will be different for you.

Some of the reasons why we like the X better than the Y:

· Tows more (even once a hitch is available for the Y, which it isn’t yet)

· More storage – bike fits in back easier

· More unique

· Free supercharging

· Better autopilot controls

· Better warranty

· Better seats

· Second screen – easier to see more info at once

· Biohazard filter

· Smoother, quieter, quicker

· Adjustable suspension

· More room for 5th passenger

· X might be a little taller and easier for elderly passengers

· Automatic front doors and falcon wing rear doors make entry/exit easier

· Dat windshield tho

I'd put "more range" when comparing new ones, but our older X only has 295 miles so it's actually a little less than a new Y.

No single one of these (for us) is a killer, must-have feature...if it was just a one or two of them, we'd go with the Y. But that's a long list; and given that we already HAVE the X, the price difference is lessened by not having to pay taxes and registration on a new car.

The Y is a great value, and I imagine for most people that don't already have an X, the Y will seem more compelling. But if the money is not an issue...the X is nicer in a lot of little ways.

What is the current usage of the X (any towing, 5 vs 6 vs 7 seating and how often is third row used, how often cargo, daily commute, regularly charge at home or supercharger, FWD appreciated or an annoyance, etc.)? How much will that change when your daughter goes to college?

What has been reliability of your X? Many visits or very few? Are you looking at the ESA because you know you'll make use of it, or just as a "might as well" purchase?yes yes yesjust for you

How often will "visit often" be, i.e. every weekend, once a month, the first few weeks until she says "hey, I love seeing you but I'm in college now, let me be until Thanksgiving"?

Is cash and/or cash flow a concern? Are you willing to deal with a private party sale on the X to get the most value before buying the Y (given the lowballing of Tesla trade-in quotes)? Will the eventual Cybertruck purchase be a replacement for the X/Y, or will you maintain both?

I agree that range is the top factor when it comes to a purchase decision, but in the absence of answers to the questions I posed, if you would ONLY benefit from the range on trips to San Diego, I would keep the X.

I'd keep the X for now despite it having a lower range. The MCU2 upgrade may bring new life to your X to hold you over. The Cybertruck tri motor seems like the real upgrade. 500+mile range is pretty significant along with P100D levels of performance for under $70k.

Another choice would be to get one of the new Raven Long Range Plus Model X.

Lots of tech improvements. Much longer range (maybe only 1.5 charging stops), more power, amazingly smooth and quiet adaptable air suspension, better handling, can get by with a less costly 5 seater with fold down flat floor, much faster charging and the latest V3 computer.

It comes standard now with the premium interior with alcantra headliner, premium sound, comfy seats, interior LED lighting and the trunk/trunk trim pieces.

Cherry on the cake is that it has come down so much you will probably get all this goodness for about the same price you paid for your earlier 75X.

The improvements are dramatic and will allow you to scratch your latest tech itch :)

The only upgrade from x to y is the bms, but in real life it only gives u charge faster maybe 10 or 15 minutes .

everything else is downgrade. 21700 is not better than 18650.

long range matters ? Get the cybertruck not y

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll try to respond to some of the questions. I’m assuming we will make the trip to San Diego every 1-2 months. We’ve driven our X75D to whistler BC and back with no problems so the extra charging isn’t a big deal. San Diego is 450 miles for us. Our last trip was a little slow, only got max charging rate 1x, we were either paired or chargers were running slow for some reason at some locations. We could also use chargers more perfectly spaced, on the trip down our first stop is with a 45% charge left. In general we enjoy the stops, I almost look forward to them. Tesla does need to add more chargers in Fresno, that location is always full. Seems we can barely make it between charging stops without needing a bathroom stop.

we have the 5 seat. I am a cyclist and regularly lay my bike in the back if going riding solo. I have a hitch rack when interior space is needed for passengers/storage. We regret now not getting the 100d but it was hard to wrap our mind around buying a 90k car as it was. We can get a maxed out 100d now for same price, we don’t have premium package which was separate 5k cost when we purchased.

Best friend has a 3 so I’ve spent plenty of time driving it. Our X has been reliable outside of the FWD sensors that get fooled by the heat. Take away the fancy doors and we haven’t had any issues. Minor water dripping when it rains due to seal on FWD.

I would want to do a private sale. I had some time a week ago to take it by car max just to see what they would offer. I knew it would be really low but they only offered 42k. Looking around at what’s listed online I think ours is worth 67-73k range in a private sale.

I’m considering listing it private party at the upper range and see what happens. I might be willing to upgrade to a new X.

I’ve got a couple other things happening financially that will also weigh on the decision.

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll try to respond to some of the questions. I’m assuming we will make the trip to San Diego every 1-2 months. We’ve driven our X75D to whistler BC and back with no problems so the extra charging isn’t a big deal. San Diego is 450 miles for us. Our last trip was a little slow, only got max charging rate 1x, we were either paired or chargers were running slow for some reason at some locations. We could also use chargers more perfectly spaced, on the trip down our first stop is with a 45% charge left. In general we enjoy the stops, I almost look forward to them. Tesla does need to add more chargers in Fresno, that location is always full. Seems we can barely make it between charging stops without needing a bathroom stop.

we have the 5 seat. I am a cyclist and regularly lay my bike in the back if going riding solo. I have a hitch rack when interior space is needed for passengers/storage. We regret now not getting the 100d but it was hard to wrap our mind around buying a 90k car as it was. We can get a maxed out 100d now for same price, we don’t have premium package which was separate 5k cost when we purchased.

Best friend has a 3 so I’ve spent plenty of time driving it. Our X has been reliable outside of the FWD sensors that get fooled by the heat. Take away the fancy doors and we haven’t had any issues. Minor water dripping when it rains due to seal on FWD.

I would want to do a private sale. I had some time a week ago to take it by car max just to see what they would offer. I knew it would be really low but they only offered 42k. Looking around at what’s listed online I think ours is worth 67-73k range in a private sale.

I’m considering listing it private party at the upper range and see what happens. I might be willing to upgrade to a new X.

I’ve got a couple other things happening financially that will also weigh on the decision.

Sadly don't think the 75D will sell in the 67-73k range anymore. Tesla has dropped prices heavily and even dropped their used prices. There are loaded P100D models with FSD in that range.
2016 Model X | Tesla

If you really want to sell you may get $55-60k private party if lucky. If you sell for that much, maybe look at a used Model X 100D and you may be surprised at the deal you find. The Y is great but it is a smaller vehicle. The cybertruck with 500 miles really seems like the best bet if your looking for max range.

We have both, and so far love them, new, performance editions. (we didn't mean to get two at the same time, we expected the Y later this year)

I think the Y, for the money, is the better value. It's perfect for the wifey and she loves it.

However, it's too small for me, I'm a big dude. I wouldn't own one for my daily driver.

The Y is more sporty to drive, lower, tighter suspension, but slower than the X, which has a much more comfortable ride.

The center console for the Y is perfect, but the X's center console is not very well designed, mainly because that screen takes up so much space.

The X has a lot of cool factor and is noticeably faster than the Y.

The Y has better lines I liken to euro styled cars like Porsche, it has really great lines, much better looking in person. I love the way the car looks from a lot of angles. The X is just kind of a vertically up scaled S and the sexy didn't upscale with it. That's okay though, the extra room you get inside makes up for it, it's much bigger than you would think if you've never been in one, but mysteriously looks small walking up to it.

The simplicity of the Y is actually very attractive to me. I love the dash and single center screen, which I hated in pictures. Once you drive it, it grows on you.

For the price tag difference, and if you're not a giant like me, I'd have to give it to the Y, a better overall value.

• Informative
Reactions: rocketdallas
We have both, and so far love them, new, performance editions. (we didn't mean to get two at the same time, we expected the Y later this year)

I think the Y, for the money, is the better value. It's perfect for the wifey and she loves it.

However, it's too small for me, I'm a big dude. I wouldn't own one for my daily driver.

The Y is more sporty to drive, lower, tighter suspension, but slower than the X, which has a much more comfortable ride.

The center console for the Y is perfect, but the X's center console is not very well designed, mainly because that screen takes up so much space.

The X has a lot of cool factor and is noticeably faster than the Y.

The Y has better lines I liken to euro styled cars like Porsche, it has really great lines, much better looking in person. I love the way the car looks from a lot of angles. The X is just kind of a vertically up scaled S and the sexy didn't upscale with it. That's okay though, the extra room you get inside makes up for it, it's much bigger than you would think if you've never been in one, but mysteriously looks small walking up to it.

The simplicity of the Y is actually very attractive to me. I love the dash and single center screen, which I hated in pictures. Once you drive it, it grows on you.

For the price tag difference, and if you're not a giant like me, I'd have to give it to the Y, a better overall value.

I’m only 5’9 so room isn’t an issue. My daughter is also 5’9 though so back seat leg room is important, that is why we didn’t get the model 3.

Sadly don't think the 75D will sell in the 67-73k range anymore. Tesla has dropped prices heavily and even dropped their used prices. There are loaded P100D models with FSD in that range.
2016 Model X | Tesla

If you really want to sell you may get $55-60k private party if lucky. If you sell for that much, maybe look at a used Model X 100D and you may be surprised at the deal you find. The Y is great but it is a smaller vehicle. The cybertruck with 500 miles really seems like the best bet if your looking for max range.

I’ll have to look around some more, I looked on Tesla’s website and also auto trader and that was the price ranges I was seeing based on our build. I think a 2016 is a bad example, that’s most likely an AP1 car (didn’t look) so has less value.

I’m in the same situation. Was looking to get a Used 2018 X 75d 5 seater or Y performance. both are about the same price and having a 18 month old and newborn, I’m having a hard time deciding especially since we can’t physically sit in either at the moment.

I’m in the same situation. Was looking to get a Used 2018 X 75d 5 seater or Y performance. both are about the same price and having a 18 month old and newborn, I’m having a hard time deciding especially since we can’t physically sit in either at the moment.

Skip the 75D X, there are 100D used X in the price range of a Y performance. The 75D range is lacking when comparing it to the longer range models. Hard to camp or do weekend trips that are away from chargers.

Reactions: verygreen
I skip 75D because I like to tow, 100D is the minimum for me to do that. If Cybertruck makes it out with a 500+ miles range (remember only HALF that when towing) I'll be a very happy camper towing with that and going 250miles between charges. Of course at that point I basically have the same as 75D in terms of range but I'll be towing.

If you don't tow and don't plan to and your using it mostly locally, I can't see any good reason not to just keep what you have...