Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Order, Build, Delivery: Just Right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing to complain about here. Boring thread. Move on.

It gets a little old reading about folk's complaints, so I thought I'd say how incredibly happy we are with out Model X order, build, and delivery process. Tesla got the details right, so if you are thinking about getting one, it's about time some of us happy customers mention the superb execution of ordering and receiving their vehicle.

Visited the showroom, met the most low key salesperson ever. Friendly, helpful. Scheduled a test drive of a Model X and was sold.

Ordered online. Pretty straightforward.

Found TMC through my referral, entered my details into the spreadsheet and 53 days after ordering, we had our Model X in hand. Very little interaction with our DS, but, honestly, very little was needed other than the delivery date. Yes, it was a bit like waiting for Christmas, but I also ordered my GMC pickup from Detroit - and that took 4 months, not 53 days like our Tesla. The Tesla account page let me track when the car went into production and was shipped: I had nothing of this sort when I ordered my GMC.

Tesla website account page did not update with payment portal info on delivery day, so I called the local Portland store at 8:30 AM. Got the most helpful, apologetic delivery person imaginable on the phone and he had all the details about cashier's check amount in a couple hours time. And I decided to add FSD that morning: Tesla had it processed and fully documented by the time I picked up the MX - super fast turnaround! Kyle is truly an asset to Tesla Portland.

Delivery was phenomenal at the Portland store. Alec spent well over an hour showing us everything about the display, setting up bluetooth for both our phones, and answering all our questions. Alec made it very clear he was there for us until we were satisfied: no rushing here. Signed all the paperwork and went on our happy way.

On the drive home, Alec called. They forgot to check a Service Bulletin for the Model X radio, and he immediately patched me through to mobile service to schedule the 'service' for the next day. Everybody was incredibly apologetic. These folks care: I am not used to this level of service. Wow. CJ showed up a little early at our house the next morning, verified my radio was working properly (a simple diagnostic check), and now I have the direct phone number of the local mobile dispatcher.

Now I could whine about how hard it was to order my accessories from the Tesla website, but I did eventually lumber my way through it. And I could whine that I would have loved more information during the build, but as I said above, it beat the pants off of my GMC experience. Or I could whine that my DS provided minimal interaction, but then he really did everything I actually needed. And I could whine that I forgot my paint depth gauge, or that there were fingerprints on my paint. Or that it was a really warm day in the delivery room. Or an endless number of nitpicky details.

But in the end I got a special order super-car VERY quickly, with phenomenal fit and finish, and met people at Tesla Portland that are consistently friendly, helpful and interested in making my experience the best. Buying a Tesla is not like anything else I have experienced - it is WAY better.

Last edited:
Nothing to complain about here. Boring thread. Move on.

It gets a little old reading about folk's complaints, so I thought I'd say how incredibly happy we are with out Model X order, build, and delivery process. Tesla got the details right, so if you are thinking about getting one, it's about time some of us happy customers mention the superb execution of ordering and receiving their vehicle.

Visited the showroom, met the most low key salesperson ever. Friendly, helpful. Scheduled a test drive of a Model X and was sold.

Ordered online. Pretty straightforward.

Found TMC through my referral, entered my details into the spreadsheet and 53 days after ordering, we had our Model X in hand. Very little interaction with our DS, but, honestly, very little was needed other than the delivery date. Yes, it was a bit like waiting for Christmas, but I also ordered my GMC pickup from Detroit - and that took 4 months, not 53 days like our Tesla. The Tesla account page let me track when the car went into production and was shipped: I had nothing of this sort when I ordered my GMC.

Tesla website account page did not update with payment portal info on delivery day, so I called the local Portland store at 8:30 AM. Got the most helpful, apologetic delivery person imaginable on the phone and he had all the details about cashier's check amount in a couple hours time. And I decided to add FSD that morning: Tesla had it processed and fully documented by the time I picked up the MX - super fast turnaround! Kyle is truly an asset to Tesla Portland.

Delivery was phenomenal at the Portland store. Alec spent well over an hour showing us everything about the display, setting up bluetooth for both our phones, and answering all our questions. Alec made it very clear he was there for us until we were satisfied: no rushing here. Signed all the paperwork and went on our happy way.

On the drive home, Alec called. They forgot to check a Service Bulletin for the Model X radio, and he immediately patched me through to mobile service to schedule the 'service' for the next day. Everybody was incredibly apologetic. These folks care: I am not used to this level of service. Wow. CJ showed up a little early at our house the next morning, verified my radio was working properly (a simple diagnostic check), and now I have the direct phone number of the local mobile dispatcher.

Now I could whine about how hard it was to order my accessories from the Tesla website, but I did eventually lumber my way through it. And I could whine that I would have loved more information during the build, but as I said above, it beat the pants off of my GMC experience. Or I could whine that my DS provided minimal interaction, but then he really did everything I actually needed. And I could whine that I forgot my paint depth gauge, or that there were fingerprints on my paint. Or that it was a really warm day in the delivery room. Or an endless number of nitpicky details.

But in the end I got a special order super-car VERY quickly, with phenomenal fit and finish, and met people at Tesla Portland that are consistently friendly, helpful and interested in making my experience the best. Buying a Tesla is not like anything else I have experienced - it is WAY better.

Congrats!! Must be a relief not to have build issues and all.:)

I am still waiting for my Blue, ordered just before you did! What made you add FSD on delivery day? I think it's still in beta.

After reading other posts on TMC, and seeing that the add-it-later price for FSD had gone from $4K to $5K recently, plus the conjecture that FSD will require HW3.0 (which could really add to the cost for an add-it-later approach - maybe more than $5K?), I decided to spend the $3K now. Elon apparently keeps hinting there may be a incremental approach to FSD, which implies we could get it sooner than later - or at least some form of FSD. And when you've already spent $104K, what's another $3K?

Nice report and congratulations on your delivery. :)

As for your FSD decision and purchase, I'm still a bit in the dark as to how that works (the last minute purchase, that is). Was it as simple as telling your DS that you wanted it and would they please add a new line item on the list of features? Did you have to pay an extra $500 for the change from your originally ordered config?

Again, glad you had a near-stellar delivery and enjoy your new toy! :):):)

Was it as simple as telling your DS that you wanted it and would they please add a new line item on the list of features?
Yes - that simple.

Did you have to pay an extra $500 for the change from your originally ordered config?
No - they waived that fee.

Although, as I mentioned, I was dealing with the local delivery person in Portland on the day of delivery when I made the request to add FSD. I figured no harm in asking about the possibility of adding FSD and associated fees while I had a live person on the phone - so why not? My DS was located in Palo Alto California (according to LinkedIn), and I had no interaction with him on delivery day once I started the phone conversation with the local person. So it sure worked out well that the payment portal messed up, which allowed me to start a conversation with the local person that was going to actually end up doing the delivery paperwork.

Reactions: K3Man
Yes - that simple.

No - they waived that fee.

Although, as I mentioned, I was dealing with the local delivery person in Portland on the day of delivery when I made the request to add FSD. I figured no harm in asking about the possibility of adding FSD and associated fees while I had a live person on the phone - so why not? My DS was located in Palo Alto California (according to LinkedIn), and I had no interaction with him on delivery day once I started the phone conversation with the local person. So it sure worked out well that the payment portal messed up, which allowed me to start a conversation with the local person that was going to actually end up doing the delivery paperwork.

Nice! Doesn't FSD require any additional hardware to be added to the vehicle or CPU? If you got it on delivery day, did they have to add any additional hardware that day or is it simply a software thing?:confused:

Nice! Doesn't FSD require any additional hardware to be added to the vehicle or CPU? If you got it on delivery day, did they have to add any additional hardware that day or is it simply a software thing?:confused:
Nope - at this point it's purely software. The cameras for FSD are already installed on your X (in the front fender and upper pillar between front door and FWD), but doing nothing. There is some guessing here on TMC that the current-generation 2.5 hardware won't have enough compute horsepower to really do FSD, but that's just people guessing. Which is exactly why I purchased FSD now: if it really does require the 3.0 HW, I figure the price for later upgrades is just going to keep increasing? So I splurged for it now, believing Tesla is good for their word that FSD will work on my X - they have a very good reputation for upgrades in the past.

Nope - at this point it's purely software. The cameras for FSD are already installed on your X (in the front fender and upper pillar between front door and FWD), but doing nothing. There is some guessing here on TMC that the current-generation 2.5 hardware won't have enough compute horsepower to really do FSD, but that's just people guessing. Which is exactly why I purchased FSD now: if it really does require the 3.0 HW, I figure the price for later upgrades is just going to keep increasing? So I splurged for it now, believing Tesla is good for their word that FSD will work on my X - they have a very good reputation for upgrades in the past.

Please report back if/when Elon releases the FSD and you tried the features out! Hope you are enjoying your new ride, without issues!

It appears that they may still offer FSD for $1000 instead of $2000 more for those who ordered before the price change: Tesla’s new Autopilot hardware upgrade will be free for owners with the $3,000 to $5,000 ‘Full Self-Driving’ package