Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Order/Delivery Tracking - Google Sheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally took delivery of the car today!

My delivery ended up being delayed by a few hours due to the "contract system issues" that have been reported lately. We got a call a couple of hours ahead so we just ended up grabbing some food and taking our time.
Got to the delivery center around 5pm (for our 3pm appointment) and the contract was still not ready so we took that opportunity to go over the car and see if there were any issues (something I was dreading after reading some other experiences on the forum). I'm happy to report that my car is nearly flawless! I could barely find anything wrong.. some glue residue here and there which they quickly cleaned up. The "biggest" issue was a few tiny dots we noticed on the paint (specks of dust that got trapped under the paint). These were barely noticeable but the delivery team said they'll get it fixed next week at one of the body shops here in Vancouver. Contract was finally ready around 6:#0-7pm and we signed everything, got out insurance and plates installed and were on our way.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the car so far with the only hiccup being the contract delays, which weren't too bad because we got a lot of time to go over the car. Hopefully no other issues creep up and the car stays perfect..

I'm going to buy an MX, but won't be able to take delivery until December. The current timeframe for new orders is September. I went to my local Tesla showroom and the rep there said that I can place the order now to receive free supercharging (I have a friend's referral code) and that I could defer delivery until December. I'm wondering a few things though:

1. Will my vehicle be assembled ASAP and then sit in the delivery center until December? I'd prefer to have it assembled as late as possible.
2. If it is assembled later, will I receive any upgrades that come out between now and then? Lets say hypothetically they come out with new battery tech and it goes from 75/100 to 90/120. Would my battery choice get updated for free or would I receive an older battery?

Essentially I'm wondering if it's worth it to reserve now for free supercharging, or would I be taking on some risk that I get an out dated model by reserving too early?

1. Will my vehicle be assembled ASAP and then sit in the delivery center until December? I'd prefer to have it assembled as late as possible.
2. If it is assembled later, will I receive any upgrades that come out between now and then? Lets say hypothetically they come out with new battery tech and it goes from 75/100 to 90/120. Would my battery choice get updated for free or would I receive an older battery?

1) yes will be built later
2) no one has a crystal ball and can tell you what Tesla is coming out with ..so this is risk everyone takes in any order regardless if delayed (ie note the included PUP)

1) yes will be built later
2) no one has a crystal ball and can tell you what Tesla is coming out with ..so this is risk everyone takes in any order regardless if delayed (ie note the included PUP)

Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear it will be built later even if I order early.

Re #2, I will be sitting on my order much longer than average. And after reading the PUP thread it seems like any upgrades will not be applied retroactively to unassembled orders. So by ordering early I would have 4-5 months of potential upgrades lost, instead of 1-2 months if I ordered immediately. I'm not sure if the risk there is worth the free supercharging I'd get by ordering now.

I guess if there's a major change like a battery overhaul, I could always cancel, re-order, and eat the $2500 lost deposit.

Finally took delivery of the car today!

My delivery ended up being delayed by a few hours due to the "contract system issues" that have been reported lately. We got a call a couple of hours ahead so we just ended up grabbing some food and taking our time.
Got to the delivery center around 5pm (for our 3pm appointment) and the contract was still not ready so we took that opportunity to go over the car and see if there were any issues (something I was dreading after reading some other experiences on the forum). I'm happy to report that my car is nearly flawless! I could barely find anything wrong.. some glue residue here and there which they quickly cleaned up. The "biggest" issue was a few tiny dots we noticed on the paint (specks of dust that got trapped under the paint). These were barely noticeable but the delivery team said they'll get it fixed next week at one of the body shops here in Vancouver. Contract was finally ready around 6:#0-7pm and we signed everything, got out insurance and plates installed and were on our way.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the car so far with the only hiccup being the contract delays, which weren't too bad because we got a lot of time to go over the car. Hopefully no other issues creep up and the car stays perfect..

A little update: went to the body shop today and they looked over those specks on the paint. Had one on the FWD and a bunch of others on one of the mirrors caps. Turns out it wasn't dust trapped under clear coat, but actual paint chips.
They replaced the mirror cap with another they had and now it looks good, they tried fixing the chip on the FWD (see attached pics for before/after) but couldn't quite fix it (due to where the chip was - as they explained it to me) so my options now would be repainting the door, replacing the door, or trying to live with it. I'm not super OCD about these things but I'm getting a full XEPL stealth wrap in a few days and I really wanted to get these little issues fixed before that.

What do you guys think? worth going through the hassle of repainting etc.?

Before:
20180730_114209.jpg

After:
20180730_152903.jpg

20180730_161128.jpg

A little update: went to the body shop today and they looked over those specks on the paint. Had one on the FWD and a bunch of others on one of the mirrors caps. Turns out it wasn't dust trapped under clear coat, but actual paint chips.
They replaced the mirror cap with another they had and now it looks good, they tried fixing the chip on the FWD (see attached pics for before/after) but couldn't quite fix it (due to where the chip was - as they explained it to me) so my options now would be repainting the door, replacing the door, or trying to live with it. I'm not super OCD about these things but I'm getting a full XEPL stealth wrap in a few days and I really wanted to get these little issues fixed before that.

What do you guys think? worth going through the hassle of repainting etc.?

Before:
View attachment 321828

After:
View attachment 321829
View attachment 321830
I'm basically going through similar things. My car is in the shop getting wrapped as we speak. I'm on day 2 of a full wrap. I'm just going to live with them. A little bit of touchup will hide it from a long distance. I don't want the car in the body shop this early on (it's not even a week old) and the issues are overall fairly minor. They suck because we shouldn't be getting cars with imperfections, but I'm going to just live with it. You always run the risk of them making things worse trying to make things better.

I think it depends on why you're buying the wrap. For me, I bought the full wrap so that I have peace of mind when driving the car on the road, especially that rear quarter panel from road rash that seems to take a beating by design. I also wanted to make things easy to clean (getting a ceramic coat on top of the wrap) and I don't want to constantly find new damage to the car every time I hand wash it.

The way I look at it, every small piece of damage you find now will be locked in, but you shouldn't be getting new ones. That being said, if you're getting a wrap to lock in pristine body/paint, then you should have it fixed before you apply the wrap.

It was really unfortunate, but I don't want the car to stay in an unwrapped state for too long, so I dropped off the car already and will deal w/ the imperfections, since the sooner I get it wrapped, the sooner I won't have to worry about chips and scratches when I drive it.

Your call though, good luck!

I'm basically going through similar things. My car is in the shop getting wrapped as we speak. I'm on day 2 of a full wrap. I'm just going to live with them. A little bit of touchup will hide it from a long distance. I don't want the car in the body shop this early on (it's not even a week old) and the issues are overall fairly minor. They suck because we shouldn't be getting cars with imperfections, but I'm going to just live with it. You always run the risk of them making things worse trying to make things better.

I think it depends on why you're buying the wrap. For me, I bought the full wrap so that I have peace of mind when driving the car on the road, especially that rear quarter panel from road rash that seems to take a beating by design. I also wanted to make things easy to clean (getting a ceramic coat on top of the wrap) and I don't want to constantly find new damage to the car every time I hand wash it.

The way I look at it, every small piece of damage you find now will be locked in, but you shouldn't be getting new ones. That being said, if you're getting a wrap to lock in pristine body/paint, then you should have it fixed before you apply the wrap.

It was really unfortunate, but I don't want the car to stay in an unwrapped state for too long, so I dropped off the car already and will deal w/ the imperfections, since the sooner I get it wrapped, the sooner I won't have to worry about chips and scratches when I drive it.

Your call though, good luck!

That's exactly what I'm worried about. The body shop making things worse and the paint not matching properly... I might live with it and hope that the matte wrap hides most of it. I only have this 1 small chip now so it's not the end of the world I guess.
Waiting to hear from my wrap guy to see what he thinks as well and to make sure their "fix" won't cause issues like bubbling etc. with the wrap.

I wanted to drop off the car right after I picked it up. But earliest I could was almost a week after (picked up fri dropping off thursday) so hopefully I won't add new damage while driving it. Trying to avoid highways as much as I can lol.. don't think I've ever babied a car like this.

Yup same. I took delivery Wednesday afternoon. Drove it very lightly home. Had to use it to take the kids to school/pick them up on Thurs. Friday, I dropped it off because I didn't want to be tempted to use it over the weekend and my wrap job was scheduled on Monday. Noticed paint issues (just two) on Friday. Wrapping is almost done and then I'll finally be able to enjoy the car. Wait I lied. I have service appt to fix all of the delivery issues on Tuesday of next week, and ... hopefully after that I'll be able to enjoy the car for an extended period of time :p

Chat w/ your guy doing the wrap. If you're aiming for perfection go for it, but just remember that if you take it to the body shop, that's a longer time that your car is going w/out a wrap. I decided it wasn't worth it. By the time I wait, I may get another legitimate paint chip or two and it'd be a wash.

As far as issues w/ the wrap, it shouldn't be. My guy(s) told me that chips and things like that would have no issues w/ the adhesive or ability for the PPF to function/hold properly. It's also so small, it shouldn't really matter. Talk to them for sure though.

Placed my order for a Pearl White 75D last weekend and couldn't be more excited! I noticed there's already a VIN assigned to my vehicle - does that have any sort of implication on its production? Just wondering because I had asked that my delivery be deferred for a few months and haven't had any sort of official confirmation from Tesla that it will be deferred. I should probably call them...

We ordered our MX on 23 Jun and it just showed up yesterday 'in production'. I don't see a bayx on the spreadsheet? It sure helped me to compare with others by entering myself on the spreadsheet here. It helped me understand the foreign vehicles are apparently getting a higher priority right now?

The DS was of minimal help when I asked about schedule. He did say that once it entered production, he would be able to provide more information. Felt like the spreadsheet was a better resource than the DS as far as when it might enter production

Last edited:
We ordered our MX on 23 Jun and it just showed up yesterday 'in production'. I don't see a bayx on the spreadsheet? It sure helped me to compare with others by entering myself on the spreadsheet here. It helped me understand the foreign vehicles are apparently getting a higher priority right now?

Yup, foreign vehicles seem to go into production much earlier. Are you US or overseas?

Take a look at the spreadsheet tab titled 'S/X Quarterly Timing'. Looks like we are following it very closely again this quarter: a spike of just a few cars in production after day 30 of the quarter (this week), a little spike again next week, and then production numbers will start to REALLY ramp up. So I would expect that you may get lucky to be in the few cars next week, but certainly the week after is very likely to see your vehicle in production?

I probably got lucky by picking a set of options that worked for materials they had in stock (it looks like maybe non-PUP worked to my advantage)? Wild guess that maybe they are trying to finish off the non-PUP vehicles...

Oh, and one other thing, my DS has been mum. I presumed they are slammed with work.

I only know it went into production by looking at my Tesla Account page. I refreshed the page a couple days ago (near the end of the day) and that very subtle text changed to 'in production' instead of 'scheduled'.

Last edited: