Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Order/option timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Telsa holds true to having the first signature Model X's roll out 2Q of 2015 (let's say May 2015), around what time before that will Tesla allow those who reserved an X to build/option their order, complete purchase, etc.?

I'm unfamiliar with how things went time-wise when the Model S was initially released, and how long before that you were able to build/option out your vehicle leading up to the release.

The wait is agonizing, and in the meantime I'm thinking about what options I would want or not want (so far just based of the Model S) for my X. I was wondering basically how much time I would have to go over my options (once introduced and released) before I would have to finalize a package.

the signature X's will arrive in 2015 for sure, but it doesn't appear that they will roll out early in Q1, so I'm assuming Q2 they will. What I am asking is when (approximately) will Tesla unveil the options and packages for the X to those who reserved one?

I think realistically we're looking at 6 months from the time they roll out the production prototype until customer deliveries begin. There's a multitude of testing required that simply can't be done with Model S mules, and that takes time. There should be preliminary information on options at the rollout, with finalized information at least 3 months before deliveries begin so orders can be placed.

If Telsa holds true to having the first signature Model X's roll out 2Q of 2015 (let's say May 2015), around what time before that will Tesla allow those who reserved an X to build/option their order, complete purchase, etc.?

I'm unfamiliar with how things went time-wise when the Model S was initially released, and how long before that you were able to build/option out your vehicle leading up to the release.

The wait is agonizing, and in the meantime I'm thinking about what options I would want or not want (so far just based of the Model S) for my X. I was wondering basically how much time I would have to go over my options (once introduced and released) before I would have to finalize a package.

The OP posted an excellent question and nobody answered. I have the same query: When might we expect Tesla to ask us reservation holders to build and confirm?

My experience with the Model S (reservation 1,491) was that config happened approximately 5 months before I would have received delivery ... early Aug config, late Dec delivery. The config to delivery timeline differed for varying reservations, I believe. I deferred config until Dec so I could get MC Red. Still a 5 month time elapse from config to delivery after my deferral.

Whether that will hold for the X or not? No idea.

I was thinking about this some over the weekend, and I realize that for the first time since making my Model X reservation, the window of time until I expect to see my car has shrunk. My mindset since September 12 when I made the reservation has always been "about a year". And up until this weekend, that's continued to be the same. As of today, I'm now thinking it's about 3 quarters to seeing my car.

I'm thinking that at least some Signatures will be delivered in Q1 '15 (I think this will be necessary for even "volume" shipments of Model X in Q2 '15 of say 3k vehicles). I anticipate seeing pricing, options, and configuration being available 1-2 quarters ahead of the first Signatures being built, but that's a guess.

I therefore conclude that I might see configuration info being available as early as immediately, and as late as October, with my total guess being September (which sounds like 2 months when I tilt my head to the side just right)! H'mm - it might be time to be thinking about how to pay for the rest of this thing :)

I was thinking about this some over the weekend, and I realize that for the first time since making my Model X reservation, the window of time until I expect to see my car has shrunk. My mindset since September 12 when I made the reservation has always been "about a year". And up until this weekend, that's continued to be the same. As of today, I'm now thinking it's about 3 quarters to seeing my car.

I'm thinking that at least some Signatures will be delivered in Q1 '15 (I think this will be necessary for even "volume" shipments of Model X in Q2 '15 of say 3k vehicles). I anticipate seeing pricing, options, and configuration being available 1-2 quarters ahead of the first Signatures being built, but that's a guess.

I therefore conclude that I might see configuration info being available as early as immediately, and as late as October, with my total guess being September (which sounds like 2 months when I tilt my head to the side just right)! H'mm - it might be time to be thinking about how to pay for the rest of this thing :)
This makes sense to me. It aligns with volume deliveries in Spring 2015.

The OP posted an excellent question and nobody answered. I have the same query: When might we expect Tesla to ask us reservation holders to build and confirm?

I think it will be AFTER they unveil the production version of the X. We haven't seen that yet. How can we build a car and choose options when 1) we haven't seen it yet, 2) options haven't been announced yet, and 3) pricing information isn't released (which needs 1&2 to be true)?

AFTER they unveil the production version, then we can better guess when we will build and confirm.

I think it will be AFTER they unveil the production version of the X. We haven't seen that yet. How can we build a car and choose options when 1) we haven't seen it yet, 2) options haven't been announced yet, and 3) pricing information isn't released (which needs 1&2 to be true)?

AFTER they unveil the production version, then we can better guess when we will build and confirm.

I agree with Bonnie. I would not even be surprised that people invited to the unveiling gala would be invited to configure their X at that time. Would be a nice touch.

That sound reasonable. It may well be that the technical hurdles are past. At this point I think the pertinent question might be, what would be the most propitious timing for the public announcement? :smile: I.e., maybe it's a PR and news-cycle decision at this point.