TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X ordered in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by kenysl, Apr 9, 2016.

1. kenysl

kenysl Member

Hi all,

Just confirmed my order on Model X couple days ago. Any one in Canada ordered? How long is the lead time?

Ken

2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I'd be surprised if a single Model X has been sold in Canada. They way overpriced them in this country, more than even the exchange rate warrants.

3. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Hmm, sounds like a bitter reply... the price is the price. It's effectively sold out for the next 6 months, so I would argue it's priced to the appropriate level based on it's capabilities and value proposition.

Anyway, let's reply factually, Tesla has not prioritized deliveries for Canada yet. I know of quite a few reservation holders here in Ontario awaiting their turn to configure.

Tesla have more than ten thousand Model X in their backlog to build and deliver worldwide, and it would make sense to be patient as this is a hot and in-demand vehicle.

4. FDinTO

FDinTO Member

Received an unsolicited phone call from Tesla SA asking for feedback on our Model X test drive. He claimed that the Canadian price has been reduced by 4%; I need to log into myTesla account to verify

5. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I'd be way more surprised if a single Model X hasn't been sold in Canada.

6. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Interesting, I was offered to configure a couple weeks ago. I ultimately cancelled the order but yeah. I had no idea on delivery date

7. kenysl

kenysl Member

Yah, I am at the configure stage now. Placed my deposit a year ago. I've ordered 2 model S before so hope they will bump me up as previous owner. I was debating too and was gonna cancel... but oh well, at least the premium gives you the exclusive looks as they will be rare in Canada. So what if someone is to purchase them in the States and ship it to the North??? Or thats not even possible?

8. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Nope.
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/motorvehiclesafety/vafus.pdf

9. f-stop

f-stop Member

I don't know the exact circumstances but FYI there is at least one Signature X owned by someone living in Vancouver.

A friend spotted a Sig Red X driving here around town last week. Then this past Friday, I took a day trip in my S down to La Conner WA (tulip festival). On the way home, stopped at the Burlington WA Supercharger and saw a Sig Red X just plugging in. Went over and had a nice chat with the very friendly owners, watched the falcon wing doors in action, took a couple pics... - turns out they live in Vancouver and were on a road trip with their one week old X. ("Hi!" if you're out there...) Beautiful car! the first X I've seen in person.

If I understood their story correctly, they recently brought it up from the US? (they're Americans who live in Vancouver, but come to think of it I'm not sure if they live here full time or not...). Or maybe they had the X sent up to Vancouver somehow? Anyhow they mentioned they had it at the Vancouver service centre and all the employees were ogling it - the first X they'd seen there. No plates, so I'm note sure where it's registered...

10. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

I just got off the phone with Transport Canada. The guy said it has NOT passed homologation.
    Tesla sent the info to them and it was declined. He said it typically takes 4-6 weeks for approval. Sometimes less.
    I asked if our standards were dramatically different than the states. The answer was yes, especially rear crash standard.
    So perhaps that is the hold up?

11. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

What do you mean by "Tesla sent the info to them and it was declined."

Transport Canada declined to certify the car ? Tesla declined to receive the certification result ? Not clear

12. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

Transport Csnada did not certify the vehicle. It did not meet the standards. Tesla has to conform and resubmit

13. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

ok thanks. Nice information

14. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

Last question :) Did they give you any time window for that last failed certification ? Was it around Christmas ?

Tesla will probably need weeks to change/fix the "thing". Just hoping Tesla is not just starting that process now ...

15. Duckjybe

Duckjybe S P232

Yet another thing conspiring to ensure the only all electric SUV has limited success in Canada. The exchange, gas prices, Ontario EV rebate reduction, feature creep raising the X price are going to severely affect X and even S sales in Canada if things don't change. How big is the market for a $150K SUV? Even though I have been asked to configure I cannot justify the price at this point. The good news is gas prices are going up and so is our dollar. Cross your fingers.

16. slyastro

slyastro Member

I have a Canadian Founder's Model X with order confirmed since about a month. No VIN is allocated yet.

I have the feeling that Europe will get their first deliveries before Canada! :-(

17. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

No time window.
    I emailed Tesla with a non committal standard response.

18. Shorty

Shorty Member

Base price is now $114K.

19. Martin VanB

Martin VanB Member

There is a rear seat recall, that is probably the reason Model X did not certify the vehicle. There may be delays for Canada.

20. SMSMD

SMSMD Member

@f-stop Vancouver service station...MODEL X
    a[​IMG]

• Like x 2