Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X ordered in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be surprised if a single Model X has been sold in Canada. They way overpriced them in this country, more than even the exchange rate warrants.

Hmm, sounds like a bitter reply... the price is the price. It's effectively sold out for the next 6 months, so I would argue it's priced to the appropriate level based on it's capabilities and value proposition.

Anyway, let's reply factually, Tesla has not prioritized deliveries for Canada yet. I know of quite a few reservation holders here in Ontario awaiting their turn to configure.

Tesla have more than ten thousand Model X in their backlog to build and deliver worldwide, and it would make sense to be patient as this is a hot and in-demand vehicle.

Hmm, sounds like a bitter reply... the price is the price. It's effectively sold out for the next 6 months, so I would argue it's priced to the appropriate level based on it's capabilities and value proposition.

Anyway, let's reply factually, Tesla has not prioritized deliveries for Canada yet. I know of quite a few reservation holders here in Ontario awaiting their turn to configure.

Tesla have more than ten thousand Model X in their backlog to build and deliver worldwide, and it would make sense to be patient as this is a hot and in-demand vehicle.

Interesting, I was offered to configure a couple weeks ago. I ultimately cancelled the order but yeah. I had no idea on delivery date

Yah, I am at the configure stage now. Placed my deposit a year ago. I've ordered 2 model S before so hope they will bump me up as previous owner. I was debating too and was gonna cancel... but oh well, at least the premium gives you the exclusive looks as they will be rare in Canada. So what if someone is to purchase them in the States and ship it to the North??? Or thats not even possible?

Yah, I am at the configure stage now. Placed my deposit a year ago. I've ordered 2 model S before so hope they will bump me up as previous owner. I was debating too and was gonna cancel... but oh well, at least the premium gives you the exclusive looks as they will be rare in Canada. So what if someone is to purchase them in the States and ship it to the North??? Or thats not even possible?
Nope.
Note-2:
Tesla Motors has informed Transport Canada that
Tesla service centers are currently not in a position to
support the substantial modifications required to bring U.S.
Model S
and
Model X
vehicles into compliance with
Canadian requirements. Contact the manufacturer for
further details.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/motorvehiclesafety/vafus.pdf

I don't know the exact circumstances but FYI there is at least one Signature X owned by someone living in Vancouver.

A friend spotted a Sig Red X driving here around town last week. Then this past Friday, I took a day trip in my S down to La Conner WA (tulip festival). On the way home, stopped at the Burlington WA Supercharger and saw a Sig Red X just plugging in. Went over and had a nice chat with the very friendly owners, watched the falcon wing doors in action, took a couple pics... - turns out they live in Vancouver and were on a road trip with their one week old X. ("Hi!" if you're out there...) Beautiful car! the first X I've seen in person.

If I understood their story correctly, they recently brought it up from the US? (they're Americans who live in Vancouver, but come to think of it I'm not sure if they live here full time or not...). Or maybe they had the X sent up to Vancouver somehow? Anyhow they mentioned they had it at the Vancouver service centre and all the employees were ogling it - the first X they'd seen there. No plates, so I'm note sure where it's registered...

I just got off the phone with Transport Canada. The guy said it has NOT passed homologation.
Tesla sent the info to them and it was declined. He said it typically takes 4-6 weeks for approval. Sometimes less.
I asked if our standards were dramatically different than the states. The answer was yes, especially rear crash standard.
So perhaps that is the hold up?

Transport Csnada did not certify the vehicle. It did not meet the standards. Tesla has to conform and resubmit

Yet another thing conspiring to ensure the only all electric SUV has limited success in Canada. The exchange, gas prices, Ontario EV rebate reduction, feature creep raising the X price are going to severely affect X and even S sales in Canada if things don't change. How big is the market for a $150K SUV? Even though I have been asked to configure I cannot justify the price at this point. The good news is gas prices are going up and so is our dollar. Cross your fingers.

@f-stop Vancouver service station...MODEL X
a
image-jpeg.170106