Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Ordering Anxiety, have concerns, need help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a test drive of the MX and really loved the car. Considering to buy one but on the fence for the following reasons, can anyone help me make a decision?
  • Want to order 7 seat configuration but the two of us couldn't sit comfortably in the 3rd row, our knees kept on hitting the 2nd row back. Both of us are 5'8 - 5'10 in height. We could move the 2nd row seats up front but i do not know how much room then the 2nd row folks get. The goal is to have 6 adults and a front facing car seat fit comfortable for a 1000+ mile journey.
  • Cargo Space: Even with the Hidden space, can the owners of a 7 seat configuration tell us how much luggage have they been able to stow in the back and the frunk. Assuming 6 adults and a baby carry about 8 bags, will we be able to carry all of them over comfortably?
  • Lack of Any sort of Arm Rest: It appears to me that the MX doesn't have any arm rests or the handle on the side of the doors to hold on to, is that true? What are the options if it was a must for me?
  • Will i have to rejig my garage opener setup in order to fit the MX inside the single car garage. I am looking for some dimensions that i can use to ensure if my garage would fit the MX or not. Does anyone have any inputs?
My alternative is to order a MS 90D. From what i have read so far, it doesn't have the comfortable seats that MX gives. Apart from being a Sedan and MX being a Crossover SUV, nothing much changes between the cars. Am i thinking it wrong? Could someone correct me here if i am getting it wrong.

For the cargo space, I had an occasion to put Model X to test and here's where you can read about it:
Cargo Capacity or Thereof

All of the doors do have armrests built in and they are pretty comfortably located.

Also, there are quite detailed threads on garage space - you may want to search through on the forum for that.

And while yeah Model S and X are built on the same platform, the ride experience on Model X is superlative.

I took a test drive of the MX and really loved the car. Considering to buy one but on the fence for the following reasons, can anyone help me make a decision?
  • Want to order 7 seat configuration but the two of us couldn't sit comfortably in the 3rd row, our knees kept on hitting the 2nd row back. Both of us are 5'8 - 5'10 in height. We could move the 2nd row seats up front but i do not know how much room then the 2nd row folks get. The goal is to have 6 adults and a front facing car seat fit comfortable for a 1000+ mile journey.
Not gonna happen. Buy a minivan instead. The 3rd row seats are a bit tight. Im 6'4" and I cant sit back there. My daughters are 5'6" and they are a bit tight. Definitely do not buy a 7 seater. The middle seat just kills any legroom in the 3rd row. My daughters can fit in the 3rd row because the middle seat in the second row is missing. Buy a 6 seater- its the best configuration by far.

• Cargo Space: Even with the Hidden space, can the owners of a 7 seat configuration tell us how much luggage have they been able to stow in the back and the frunk. Assuming 6 adults and a baby carry about 8 bags, will we be able to carry all of them over comfortably?
Cargo room is minimal. Again- if you need cargo room- buy a minivan. Ive said it numerous times, the Model X is not an SUV- but its the best car I've ever owned.

• Lack of Any sort of Arm Rest: It appears to me that the MX doesn't have any arm rests or the handle on the side of the doors to hold on to, is that true? What are the options if it was a must for me?
I think this is a major fail. I wish the second row seats had arm rests as well. However, everyone who has sat in the back has commented on how comfortable the second row seats are.

• Will i have to rejig my garage opener setup in order to fit the MX inside the single car garage. I am looking for some dimensions that i can use to ensure if my garage would fit the MX or not. Does anyone have any inputs?
Dont know- it fits fine in my garage but then I have tall ceilings even through the track is only like 8 feet for the garage.

My alternative is to order a MS 90D. From what i have read so far, it doesn't have the comfortable seats that MX gives. Apart from being a Sedan and MX being a Crossover SUV, nothing much changes between the cars. Am i thinking it wrong? Could someone correct me here if i am getting it wrong.

You have it right but consider this, with the 6 seater X, you really have a lot of nice space inside. 7 seat variety kills it. I own both an X and an S and am considering trading the S for another X. Its that good!

Model S cannot seat 6 adults. The rear facing seats are for children only.
@fengshui i should have said i am aware of that fact and thus X is the only option for me to seat 5+ adults in a Tesla. However i am willing to compromise that if i hear owners say that it is not so comfortable for seating 5+ adults in X along with luggage.

For the cargo space, I had an occasion to put Model X to test and here's where you can read about it:
Cargo Capacity or Thereof

All of the doors do have armrests built in and they are pretty comfortably located.

Also, there are quite detailed threads on garage space - you may want to search through on the forum for that.

And while yeah Model S and X are built on the same platform, the ride experience on Model X is superlative.

@xkwizit that is fantastic information! your picture however doesn't do justice to show that there are actually 7 suitcases of varying sizes. That is really comforting to know. I also see that you have a 7 seater, do you feel cramped in the 3rd row?

You have it right but consider this, with the 6 seater X, you really have a lot of nice space inside. 7 seat variety kills it. I own both an X and an S and am considering trading the S for another X. Its that good!

I assume you have a 6 seater X. Could you tell me what thinking process you went through to order the 6? The showroom only had a 7 on display and test drive.

I assume you have a 6 seater X. Could you tell me what thinking process you went through to order the 6? The showroom only had a 7 on display and test drive.

btw- see my response above- I copied and pasted what I wrote earlier.

To answer your question about 7 and 6 seater- the 7 is too claustrophobic for me. The middle seat in the second row just makes it too cramped. I had a friend who got an early signature and I sat in it and hated the 7 seat.

The 6 seater is an ideal people mover. lots of room, no one is cramped and 3rd row passengers don't feel like red headed step children. No way I would ever get the 7 seater.

To answer your other question, there is nothing in the S that I think is better than the X. The X is 10000x a better vehicle.

My previous responses below as it got collapsed:

Not gonna happen. Buy a minivan instead. The 3rd row seats are a bit tight. Im 6'4" and I cant sit back there. My daughters are 5'6" and they are a bit tight. Definitely do not buy a 7 seater. The middle seat just kills any legroom in the 3rd row. My daughters can fit in the 3rd row because the middle seat in the second row is missing. Buy a 6 seater- its the best configuration by far.

Cargo room is minimal. Again- if you need cargo room- buy a minivan. Ive said it numerous times, the Model X is not an SUV- but its the best car I've ever owned.

I think this is a major fail. I wish the second row seats had arm rests as well. However, everyone who has sat in the back has commented on how comfortable the second row seats are.

Dont know- it fits fine in my garage but then I have tall ceilings even through the track is only like 8 feet for the garage.

@fengshui i should have said i am aware of that fact and thus X is the only option for me to seat 5+ adults in a Tesla. However i am willing to compromise that if i hear owners say that it is not so comfortable for seating 5+ adults in X along with luggage.

@xkwizit that is fantastic information! your picture however doesn't do justice to show that there are actually 7 suitcases of varying sizes. That is really comforting to know. I also see that you have a 7 seater, do you feel cramped in the 3rd row?
Yeah We weren't sure all of the stuff was good to fit but once it did it was like oh wow lets get a pic as I don't know when we will stuff like this again.
If the 2nd row is all the way back then yes leg space is cramped but if you slide up the second row a bit it's a much more equitable and still comfortable spacing for both rows. We haven't yet done a long road trip but I know my family likes to curl up and/or pull their feet up. This replaced an RX350 on which we used to have bags or roll-ons in front of seats too for long trips as it helps to keep legs stretched rather than hanging all the time.

1. Get the 6 seat configuration,
  • It allows the third row passengers to change positions and straighten their legs from time to time
  • It prevents claustrophobia
  • It allows you to use your rear view mirror
  • The middle seat in 7 seater only for kids really, the roof is low and the seat is narrow.
  • It will give you more cargo space... a standard storage container or cooler fits perfectly there.

2. I find the cargo space in the MX to be very generous. When you add the deep well, the frunk and the space between the two middle row seats (in 6 seater), and the space under the front row and middle row seats, it adds up to a lot of space. Also consider that the usefulness of space is just as important as the space itself. All of the storage space in an MX is easily accessible and very useful.

3. My garage is very small, it has an annoying post between the two bays and only allows 24" total free space front to back, and 20" side to side, but with all the sensors and warning chimes, the backup camera and the fact that you can fold in the sideview mirrors with a press of a button, the entire process of parking is quite easy.

Reactions: krazineurons

I think you'll find a lot of the information you are looking for if you scour the forums enough. I had the same debate on whether to go with 6 seats or 7. I decided to go with the 7 seat configuration over the 6 because I tend to have less occasions where I need more cargo space vs. passengers. In the 6 seat configuration, if you often need to load up with bulky cargo or large items and you fold the 3rd row down...you are stuck with only 4 seats. If that's not an issue for you and you can live with that, go with 6 seats as you will definitely have a roomier 3rd row and more interior space when the seats are all up. At the end of the day, my suggestion is weigh how often these types of occasions would occur, then base your decision off of what you feel would be best long term.

Reactions: krazineurons