Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Ordering Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings, I am in the market for a Model X Performance but I will likely hold off for the rumored 2021 refresh.

I am looking for a fully loaded X but I have heard that there are features missing that are common in other luxury cars. For example, my current Lexus SUV has these features (in order of importance):
  1. HUD - can this be added after market?
  2. BSM
  3. 360 birds-eye camera
  4. Ventilated or cooled seats
  5. Heated steering wheel (?)
  6. RCTA - alerts you as you backup if there is traffic approaching
It's not been easy finding a full feature list for the Model X. I know I'll be gaining a whole slew of features but will be losing some as well.

Are these features really lacking? Did it affect your purchase decision? Have you missed these features? Thanks!

Everyone has different priorities, but I'll be honest. It's going to be very hard losing those features. The only thing you're really gaining is autopilot and performance. If you do mostly city driving, autopilot is mostly useless, so that only leaves performance. I would say stick with your Lexus for now

Everyone has different priorities, but I'll be honest. It's going to be very hard losing those features. The only thing you're really gaining is autopilot and performance. If you do mostly city driving, autopilot is mostly useless, so that only leaves performance. I would say stick with your Lexus for now

Thank you. The bad thing about Lexus is that they make slow, slow cars. Due to the luxury features, it's my daily driver, but I definitely feel more alive with my Porsche. Regarding performance, do you know if the MX has a rear-wheel bias?

I don't do much freeway driving, but if what Elon says about FSD is true, pretty soon even city driving will be handled by autopilot. Won't hold my breath though.

Refresh according to whom?

Tesla is planning a big Model S/Model X interior refresh in Q3 2019 - full refresh in 2021 - Electrek
I like the front end of the M3 better, without that front slit. Subjective I know, but being a full electric Tesla should embrace electric and remove the unneeded "radiator airflow gap".

My previous car had the 360 view (which I LOVED and relied on quite heavily, mostly while parking) and I honestly did miss it at first, but I don’t miss it much anymore. The radar lines in my Model X are sufficient to prevent me from hitting anything. The 360 view was helpful for parking front-in as it showed you the lines, but now I just back into almost every spot because it’s so easy with all the Tesla tech.

Also, it seems like that would be very simple to add in a future update. That’s the thing about Tesla’s - they’re continually getting better and better.

Reactions: Thp3
Thank you. The bad thing about Lexus is that they make slow, slow cars. Due to the luxury features, it's my daily driver, but I definitely feel more alive with my Porsche. Regarding performance, do you know if the MX has a rear-wheel bias?

I don't do much freeway driving, but if what Elon says about FSD is true, pretty soon even city driving will be handled by autopilot. Won't hold my breath though.

Tesla is planning a big Model S/Model X interior refresh in Q3 2019 - full refresh in 2021 - Electrek
I like the front end of the M3 better, without that front slit. Subjective I know, but being a full electric Tesla should embrace electric and remove the unneeded "radiator airflow gap".
That article is from 2018 and was wrong about the interior refresh.

"RCTA - alerts you as you backup if there is traffic approaching"

This is most important feature ever ! I cant believe Tesla does not have it! Just put 2 extra rear sensors and charge 1k more in total price.
This feature saved me at least from 2 car accidents.

Tesla does not want this features because they know they will stop working sooner or later.
Less options - less problems.
HUD in my Honda accord is very useful feature, It can show GPS directions, read road speed signs, current speed etc....

Lexus makes a great SUV. I've had an RX450H (x2), RX350, LX470, and an LX570. Never had one break down and was always pleased with the quality of the vehicles.

But......they are terribly slow, antiquated, and boring as can be. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HUD is nice and I do miss it, but definitely not a deal breaker. Autopilot for me makes up for that by far.
BSM- Once again autopilot.
360 Camera- Yes, that was super nice for parking. I wonder if Tesla can add this via software with all the cameras on this vehicle?
Ventilated seats- I never thought they worked very good. On my Tesla I always used the pre-cooling feature and made sure the car was cool before I started anywhere.
Heated steering wheel. - Tesla has it, and I much prefer the feel of the thicker steering wheel on the Tesla.
RCTA- Don't really miss it, didn't come into play much with my driving.

There are tradeoffs, but to me far worth it. I sold my Tesla Model S P85 2 1/2 years ago and since then I've been through seven different vehicles! None of them compared to the Tesla, so I ordered a new Model X. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

John

Greetings, I am in the market for a Model X Performance but I will likely hold off for the rumored 2021 refresh.

1. HUD - can this be added after market?
  2. BSM
  3. 360 birds-eye camera
  4. Ventilated or cooled seats
  5. Heated steering wheel (?)
  6. RCTA - alerts you as you backup if there is traffic approaching
It's not been easy finding a full feature list for the Model X. I know I'll be gaining a whole slew of features but will be losing some as well.

Are these features really lacking? Did it affect your purchase decision? Have you missed these features? Thanks!

360 Camera- Yes, that was super nice for parking. I wonder if Tesla can add this via software with all the cameras on this vehicle?

We’re thinking about replacing our Buick Enclave with a Model X, and this is the show stopper. My wife LOVES her 360 camera and won’t go without it. I’m still amazed it isn’t a Tesla thing yet. It’d be right in their wheelhouse, to be honest.

Seems like a fairly small thing to hang up over, but she’s got to be comfortable driving it.... this would help immensely.

Going from Lexus to Tesla, you do lose some of these luxury features. But you gain so much more than just autopilot. The infotainment system, from how it plays music and to how easy the Nav is to use, is far superior to any other car right now. And most importantly, is how it drives. Its hard to explain without test driving it. But it has such a seamless acceleration, that is just plain relaxing. And to me, thats luxury. After the craze of 'end of the year deliveries', you should see if they will let you have an overnight test drive. They do allow this a lot. That will give you and idea of what its like to live with.

Reactions: Justicepool
We’re thinking about replacing our Buick Enclave with a Model X, and this is the show stopper. My wife LOVES her 360 camera and won’t go without it. I’m still amazed it isn’t a Tesla thing yet. It’d be right in their wheelhouse, to be honest.

Seems like a fairly small thing to hang up over, but she’s got to be comfortable driving it.... this would help immensely.
I test drove a Volvo with it, and added it to my required features, calling like 20 Volvo dealerships looking for a specific color with that feature and a few others. Randomly decided to get a Tesla instead and I literally forgot about that feature entirely after driving it. They'll prob add it eventually but def don't need it.

I test drove a Volvo with it, and added it to my required features, calling like 20 Volvo dealerships looking for a specific color with that feature and a few others. Randomly decided to get a Tesla instead and I literally forgot about that feature entirely after driving it. They'll prob add it eventually but def don't need it.

I agree. Had it on my Cadillac, but now on the Model 3, I don’t. And I’m doing fine.

Since the deer hit, she’s been driving my Model 3, and getting more comfortable with it. Still won’t use Autopilot, but she never used cruise control on other cars either. We’ll see how she feels once we have the Buick back. My gut says she’ll be thrilled to have the height back, and maybe the cargo room. The rest will feel like a downgrade. If it weren’t for the FWD, Model X would be an easier sell. It’s just a lot of complication ...