TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X over the top windshield like Vauxhall Astra windshield

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by scottf200, Sep 2, 2015.

1. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#1 scottf200, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Hattip to MorrisonHiker's post. I thought the Model X windshield was totally new and unique but it looks like it's been done.

What that gives us tho is some great pictures to visualize what driving the Model X may feel like (yes, I realize the very top is shaded).

Tesla Model X

Image: http://i.imgur.com/pREjdj8.png
    pREjdj8.png

Vauxhall Astra windshield

Opel-Astra_GTC_2007_photo_01.jpg
    2007-opel-astra-gtc_600x0w.jpg
    Opel-Astra_GTC_2007_photo_03.jpg

1955 Chevy Biscayne Dr with windshield

AND swivel seats
    AND look at the door handle location (see where the doors lock at).

8CF5RZi.jpg

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I suspect the reason windshields like in that Vauxhall and 55 Chevy didn't catch on is that the cars are too damn hot when the sun is out and there is too much glare.
    It is going to be interesting to see how Tesla tints the rear section of the X windshield and if the driver and passenger have any dynamic control over the tint level.

3. Newb

Newb Member

#3 Newb, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    The French Citroen C3 available here in Europe has got such a panoramic windshield, too:

c3-car-of-the-year.207560.png

4. Jeva

Jeva BKINTME

In that first image...the part labeled "roof" appears to be tinted glass, not metal. Is the label trying to indicate otherwise?

5. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Sorry for the confusion. Definitely not trying to indicate a normal metal roof. The point of the thread was the Model X has glass that goes up to where a normal cars roof is (right above your head). And that there were/are other cars like it unbeknownst to me before yesterday!

[update: I edited the picture]

6. Jeva

Jeva BKINTME

Gotcha. This makes me happy to see...I'm 6'2" but with a 30" inseam so I'm long at the top and I have issues with many cars where I sit so high I cannot see stop lights, etc without leaning forward because of the roof line. This would certainly make my driving experience better and one of the reasons I decided against getting the S.

7. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#7 scottf200, Sep 3, 2015
    This video is great because it pans up and lets you see what the tinted part may look like.

8. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

This extended windscreen that goes up overhead looks amazing to me, and I hope its for real on X. Reminds me a lot of the Roadster with the glass top that some of us have - having the sky above being so open. The additional benefit of being able to easily see stop lights isn't lost on me - I frequently can't see any of the three lights in the Roadster, and sometimes do look over the top of the windscreen through the glass top to know when it's my turn to go.

9. CarlK

CarlK Member

It should be OK long as Tesla tint the roof section the same way as they tint the pano on the S. You can always add additional tint film if that's not enough. I have 75 PhotoSync tint film on the windshield, but not pano, of my S. I would likely do the same for the X with windshield and roof together.

10. ZachShahan

ZachShahan Member

Honestly, this makes me want the X more than the S more than anything else (still lean toward the S, though).

Can't wait to drive this thing.

Unfortunately, will be in Florida for an EV conference in late October and Tesla tells me that's still too early for a media car/loaner (as expected, of course).

11. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Has anyone figured out how they get power to the electronics for things like self-dimming mirror and the cameras on the Model X mirror with this windscreen design??

12. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

I would assume they'd embed the wires in the glass, like an antenna. Likely be visible, but you'd have to look closely.

I just had my windshield replaced... and wow, was there a bunch of stuff embedded and stuck on the replacement glass!

13. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

The windshield we are talking about is pretty clear in this pic.

- - - Updated - - -

Attached Files:

14. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I know the feeling, having a somewhat similar shape. I just barely fit in my Volt, and headroom was definitely a reason I was thinking X. The open air feel and not having to stretch to see red lights will make for a much more pleasant drive.

I actually really liked the Astra video, though the mirror looks so odd being in the middle of the windshield area now...

15. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

The biggest reason that the Biscayne windshield didn't catch on is that it was just a concept car and never went into production. The name was later used for the second-line Chevrolet model, (behind BelAire} but not with any of the concept features.

16. 9837264723849

9837264723849 Member

Thanks for the video. Here are a few other pics:
    ORPHEA_145750.jpg
    S0-Essai-Citroen-C3-1-2-Puretech-110-chameau-de-course-353196.jpg
    S1-Essai-Citroen-C3-82-ch-PureTech-de-beaux-restes-338305.jpg
    WP_20150709_016.jpg

17. dbfish

dbfish Member

#17 dbfish, Sep 4, 2015
    Check out the cool manual shade you can pull down on the Citroen!

18. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Of course I haven't actually tried it, but I'm really happy about this design idea - possible repair fragility and complexity notwithstanding. Open sights when driving has always been important to me and family and is another feature that may shape up the X as the most enjoyable vehicle we could have.

19. lucy

lucy bluehair

20. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member