Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X over the top windshield like Vauxhall Astra windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Article is from February of this year, but says:

Corning has a chance to corner a big share of the market with their damage resistant and lighter weight glass, though they expect this to take another three to four years

That could be interpreted as meaning "cornering the market" would take 3-4 years, but it also says

Corning's Gorilla Glass could find its way into windshields and sunroofs over the next two years.

Maybe they're doing a gorilla glass alternative, but based on that article, it doesn't seem like it's GG.

I thought this back in July:
...given Tesla's standards on safety I'm also going to go out on a limb and speculate that it must be something like Gorilla glass. Would this be the first automotive use of Gorilla? I know I've read about it before as a general concept.
But I'm also pretty sure that someone suggested it before me in another thread.

Last edited:
The windshield we are talking about is pretty clear in this pic.

- - - Updated - - -
Model X Windshield and rear seat positions.png
The rear seats appear to have multiple angle or fore-aft positions. And I trust Tesla will have embedded wires (like Range Rover, and others) so there's no awkward cable tunnel. A retractable sunscreen would be a must. Perhaps those awkward looking sunvisors are a submission to the usual nonsense from the DOT. I would have hoped for programmable electronic photochromatic LCD film or something so that the windshield could be selectively shaded to keep out sun/glare and project or display a head-up display for driver (and separately for passenger.) Instead of a sunvisor, wouldn't it be better just to give a voice command to "blot out the sun, please" ... and have a small, personal solar eclipse by way of a black circle of darkened LCD moving as the cars moves to keep the sun out of your eyes?

section-checkerboard-bigsky.jpg

"Model X has the largest all glass panoramic windshield in production, providing an unparalleled view of the stars and sky above. Optimized solar tinting and obstruction-free view creates unlimited visibility for the driver and all passengers." (Model X | Tesla Motors)

In addition to the solar tinting, it looks like there are special sun shades / roller blinds on each side of the windshield which can be pulled out towards the rear-view mirror. Can someone confirm this who was there at the launch party?

Last edited:
View attachment 96093

"Model X has the largest all glass panoramic windshield in production, providing an unparalleled view of the stars and sky above. Optimized solar tinting and obstruction-free view creates unlimited visibility for the driver and all passengers." (Model X | Tesla Motors)

In addition to the solar tinting, it looks like there are special sun shades / roller blinds on each side of the windshield which can be pulled out towards the rear-view mirror. Can someone confirm this who was there at the launch party?

That sort of looked like visors to me

That sort of looked like visors to me

okay, I've found something interesting on those:

"A word about the windshield. It’s big. Really big. At 2.9 square meters, it’s the largest piece of glass ever put on a car in production, according to Tesla. The effect is remarkable—imagine a moonroof that connects to a windshield. However, this feature presented engineering and manufacturing challenges for Tesla, according to company executives. For instance, they had to create tinting that varied so the sun wouldn’t scorch the driver’s head, but wasn’t too dark at eye level. The panoramic windshield also meant that a sun visor couldn’t be placed in its normal spot.
'It’s definitely the most complex sun visor in history,' Musk said." (Elon Musk gives Tesla's new Model X SUV a splashy send off - Fortune )

Want to see those in action!

- - - Updated - - -

found more details:
"For when a simple gradient tint wasn't enough to block the bright light of the sun, special sun visors had to be designed — the most complicated and technically advanced visors in the world, Musk claims. At rest, they clip into the long A-pillar of the car. When pulled into action, they stretch and expand to reach the rearview mirror in the center of the windshield where they lock into place with magnet."
Tesla Model X revealed: 250-mile range, falcon doors, Ludicrous mode

Just wow. Want to have that panoramic windshield with those visors in my current car while driving through the European Alps... oh gosh. Can't wait to test drive the X.

Does anyone know where the sun-visor hinge is located on the A-pillar? Is it at the top (near the B-Pillar) or is it at the bottom (half-way down the A-pillar)? I'm just curious how it rotates across the window and which way it expands.

From USA Today video:
usa1.png

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know where the sun-visor hinge is located on the A-pillar? Is it at the top (near the B-Pillar) or is it at the bottom (half-way down the A-pillar)? I'm just curious how it rotates across the window and which way it expands.
I think it is "at the top" (going over your head) and one side has a magnet holding it in place. You swivel it around so that the magnet can then "stick" to the edge of the mirror instead.

- - - Updated - - -

...I don't care for sunroofs/pano-roof, but this pano windshield looks awesome.

It really gives a different feel to the driving experience, particularly when driving through trees or between tall buildings.
It is one of my favorite features of Model X. I hope they offer it on Model 3 too...

Got to play wih them a bit last night as I climbed around in Elon's car on stage. They are at the bottom, halfway down the A pillar and swing in towards the mirror. Pretty cool how the magnet just snaps them into place actually.

The Model X Fron Windshield

I haven't seen anyone else comment on this, but I would think the upper part of the windshield would become annoying when driving into the afternoon sun. I have the bad luck of often driving westward in the late afternoon and I have to contend with the sun in my eyes. The visors and sunglasses help, but one of the most annoying things is when the sun is just at the wrong angle to where it's shining through right around the rearview mirror where the visor won't cover.

Looking at that massive windshield on the Model X, I would think the problem with the sun would start even earlier in the day and there is nothing up there to block the sun. the upper part of my current windshield is tinted like the Model X, but it doesn't make much difference when the sun is in my eyes. I would want a roller shade that could cover that area when the sun is beating in.

I'm in the market for a Model S and my SO wants a 3, so we really aren't potential Model X customers, but it is just something I thought about looking at the Model X reviews.

Edit: I guess there was a thread on this and I missed it. I still think there will be afternoon glare coming in above the visors.

Last edited: