Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X owners - what other vehicles did you consider?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MY and M3 owner here, considering ridding my wife's 10.2mpg-average Toyota Landcruiser (used car market is giving crazy prices for it) for a MX. $128k for a MX 6-seater Plaid is a lot of $$$, curious what other non-EV vehicles you all have considered? I say non-EV because there are no other 6-7 seater EV vehicles currently available.

We have the 2011 rx450h awd. When I got our 2017 x, I couldn’t bear to give away. 11 years old , 85,000 and not a breakdown. As a bonus, gets 25-30 mpg. It’s also awd, with a snow mode. Has an ev only mode, but very low speed and 1 mile range.

I like th X, but damn not for 130k.
That's where I'm at....$128k (MX Plaid 6 seater white/black/20-inch rims) after destination fee, before 6% tax (here in TX, about $7500 for a total of $135,500). Genuinely think there are other SUV's to be had at this price, still really like the idea of a X just hesitating at the price given a ton of other choices...

That's where I'm at....$128k (MX Plaid 6 seater white/black/20-inch rims) after destination fee, before 6% tax (here in TX, about $7500 for a total of $135,500). Genuinely think there are other SUV's to be had at this price, still really like the idea of a X just hesitating at the price given a ton of other choices...

What's your reason for looking at the X? Is it the extra seating that you mentioned in your first post? Looks like you also have both the Y and 3. Were you going to sell one of those, or add to the existing fleet?

what else would you consider?

So just get the LR. 😜 Used might also be an option. I considered the Ford Explorer, Kia Telluride, the Mercedes… whatever their smaller SUV is, good tow rating. Anyways, ended up with a 2018 75D just about a year ago and very happy, especially with gas prices now. Range is a thorn, tho.

Reactions: Genie
Sold our Buick Enclave for our X LR+. The Enclave was bigger and I’ll even argue had some “nicer” interior surfaces but there’s no way I could go back.

We’ve had our share of service items with the X, but even with that — neither my wife nor I would swap it for anything. And that says something coming from her - vehicles have always been just utilitarian.

Tesla is the only EV we would consider at this time.... It was either that or get another ICE vehicle, we looked at the BMW X7 since we need the 3rd row.

I had a pretty crappy experience on a road trip this past summer with a family member who had a non-tesla EV. the other charging networks are horrible, inconsistent, and undependable. I really hope it gets better but for now sticking with supercharger network only or gas.

Reactions: JBT66
I was dreaming about GLS63 AMG, BMW X7 M50i, Lexus LX570, Range Rovers etc... pretty much everything with 3 rows and higher end trim/model, because why not? But of course me being me, Tesla was the only choice when it came to buying process, didn't even look to other brands and makes.

Reactions: JER85
I haven't taken delivery of my MX Plaid yet but I did not consider any other vehicles. I've been a 2021 MY LR AWD owner since last May and EV owner since 2019. No way that I would go back to any gasoline vehicles and in the EV SUV segment, there isn't much competition.. The Mach E would be the only one in the same segment but it's efficiency sucks compared to the Model Y as does it's charging speed compared to Tesla. VW ID4 is too small.. I chose the Model X Plaid as it's like a better. slightly larger and much quicker Model Y. Love my Model Y but want the Plaid power and no Plaid option is available for the Model Y... Also, can't beat the 3rd row of seats for any additional passengers.. If Performance wasn't a criteria for me, I would have considered a Hyundai IONIQ 5. You really can't beat the value on that vehicle.. After tax credit, you can get the middle of the road SEL for about $40k.. That's less than 1/3 that I'm paying for my MX Plaid and $23k below the current price of the Model Y. I'm getting the MX Plaid for the insane power.. Nothing like it out there.. YOLO!

Reactions: Mike Hawk
This conversation is sortof irrelevant for me at current pricing, but for me, it was other luxury 3-row vehicles. This included the Merc E-class wagon, the Merc GLS, Toyota Land Cruiser, Navigator, that kind of thing. They all cost around the same at $80-85k nicely-equipped, but only the Tesla and the E-class drive like cars, and only the Tesla had a front-facing 3rd row of those two (e-class has a very nice jump seat 3rd row). Also wanted car-hauling capability in a pinch, which wasn't a deal-breaker and why the E-class was in the mix.

We also tried the Model Y and didn't much like it. I wanted to like it, but the ride quality, NVH, and the lack of an instrument panel were big bummers, plus it's just a smaller car. Still would be interested in the Y if they stretch it out a bit and add the adaptive suspension.

We use the 3rd row a lot, probably at least once a month lately.

M3P owner since November 2018 here, looked at upgrading to the S Plaid but it got the veto from the better half as she didn't see a significant difference between the 3 and the S: size, interior room, shape.

Next best thing was I talked myself into the Plaid X so I can be the family truckster while still having a blast. I drive two kids ~1 hour each day round trip to school. Can't wait to try out the adaptive air suspension, active noise cancelation, double pane glass, and heat pump upgrades from my current ride.

I'm BEV from from here on out. Having the current king of the hill with the Plaid, it was the only solution. 6 figure car is nucking futs but like others have said: YOLO!

Last edited: