Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X owners - what other vehicles did you consider?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery of our 2016 X 75D in January 2020 direct from Tesla. We lucked out as our vehicle came with the 4 year 50k mile used warranty, free unlimited supercharging, and lifetime premium connectivity. At time time, my wife needed a 7-passenger vehicle and she loved driving my Model S, so the X was a no-brainer.

Fast forward to today, I've shown her the Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S, Kia EV9, and the upcoming Mercedes EQS and she's not really a fan of any of them.

Our X is not perfect mind you - many issues have popped up that were covered by the extended warranty, range is limited (should have tried to find a 90D), and fast charging is on the slow side but the proliferation of superchargers and FUSC still makes it worth it.

Reactions: JER85

This.

Granted the market today is very different than when I bought my 2018 X (new, in 2019), but I didn't look at or even consider anything else. Don't think I would today, either. It was a vortex of opportunity and desire....the stock market was going my way and my girlfriend had just broken up with me. I bought two gallons of ice cream and a Tesla.

As a previous poster said, YOLO.

I just got my MX LR, but honestly if the Genesis GV80 becomes an EV, I'll trade this in for that in a heartbeat.

For the price I'm paying the at a 'luxury' pricepoint, there are almost zero luxury amenities in the car. No rear sunshades, no ambient lighting, no CarPlay (yes, it's better), and will have real turn signals and a real horn. I can deal with the yoke, it's a bit cheezy but whatever.

I like the car, the power is phenomenal but I'm also not racing at a stop light so I really don't care. The supercharger network makes it slightly more bearable but my guess is that over time either the superchargers will become available to all EVs (as they did in Europe), or the other EV infrastructure will start to pop up and make it a non issue. Right now our biggest concern is a usable third row (check) and no use of gasoline (check). Few cars fit that bill, as of now.

I just got my MX LR, but honestly if the Genesis GV80 becomes an EV, I'll trade this in for that in a heartbeat.

For the price I'm paying the at a 'luxury' pricepoint, there are almost zero luxury amenities in the car. No rear sunshades, no ambient lighting, no CarPlay (yes, it's better), and will have real turn signals and a real horn. I can deal with the yoke, it's a bit cheezy but whatever.

I like the car, the power is phenomenal but I'm also not racing at a stop light so I really don't care. The supercharger network makes it slightly more bearable but my guess is that over time either the superchargers will become available to all EVs (as they did in Europe), or the other EV infrastructure will start to pop up and make it a non issue. Right now our biggest concern is a usable third row (check) and no use of gasoline (check). Few cars fit that bill, as of now.

I'm actually very impressed with Hyundai (I think the new Ionq looks great). They entered the market with reliable econboxes and now they're selling cars to compete with luxury brands. It wouldn't surprise me if they spun off a luxury brand in the future. Looks like they took a page out of the Honda+Toyota playbook.

1) Model Y Performance - Haven't done it because of the bumpy suspension and lesser front windshield. A brand new Y Performance would beat an X of equivalent price (2018) in range, efficiency, supercharging speed, reliability, new 4-year warranty, and handling. But the X is still better overall.
2) Rivian R1S quad-motor - I have a reservation from 2021 before the price increase.

Update: I would not have considered a Model X at current pricing and will not consider replacing ours with another Model X at current pricing. Would probably have either bought nothing or upgraded the pickup truck.

Last edited:
I'm actually very impressed with Hyundai (I think the new Ionq looks great). They entered the market with reliable econboxes and now they're selling cars to compete with luxury brands. It wouldn't surprise me if they spun off a luxury brand in the future. Looks like they took a page out of the Honda+Toyota playbook.
The Koreans have already spun off a luxury brand, it’s called Genesis, it happened ~5 years ago. Great value for money in the luxury space. If you see something that looks like a Bentley from far away and then you get closer it has a badge that starts with “G” followed by a number but with no three pointed star, and looks like … Bentley kit car would too mean but … odd, that’s a genesis

The Koreans have already spun off a luxury brand, it’s called Genesis, it happened ~5 years ago. Great value for money in the luxury space. If you see something that looks like a Bentley from far away and then you get closer it has a badge that starts with “G” followed by a number but with no three pointed star, and looks like … Bentley kit car would too mean but … odd, that’s a genesis
Oh, I feel dumb. I had always thought that was a model from Kia 🤣 But, I've seen those and it makes sense.