Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X P100D price to go up almost $10,000 4/24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
In addition to the low-end price decreases (at least 60D battery upgrade price) and feature changes (Helix wheels retired, new 20" wheel color, center console for 6-seater rear) today, according to Electrek Tesla will increase prices a week from today. Especially notable seems to be the $9,500 increase to P100D:
  • Model S 100D: $95,000 to $97,500
  • Model S P100D: $134,500 to $140,000
  • Model X 100D: $98,500 to $99,500
  • Model X P100D: $135,500 to $145,000
Personally, having taken delivery of P100D in Q1, I already found the car very expensive compared to my expectations of what I was reserving back in 2014. This will take the top end further upwards, though at least the upgraded AC charger is included in the price.

Clearly this is Tesla using their now infamous reverse discounting (pre-announced price increase) to keep demand going for Q2 deliveries. Cars ordered this week can still be delivered to many places within the quarter...

Tesla confirms ‘slight price increases’ for 100D/P100D models next week after decreases for lower-end models today

Tesla’s least expensive vehicle is now the Model S 75 at $69,500 after overnight price drop & newly included options [Updated]

Any thoughts?

A P100D is the most powerful electric car for sale.
The most powerful ICE car is $2,700,000.00 USD. The deposit is $226,000 to get on the list.

I do not think that is true.

Rimac's Concept S is more powerful at 1384 hp, right?

Be that as it may, I don't see how that comparison is really relevant. :)

That said, Tesla is of course well within their rights to charge anything.

McRat is right... This is something I have been saying to people who comment that our new MX75 is "expensive". I tell them that is not true. It is The greatest value in an automobile since the Ford Model A. You have to step up to a Bugatti Chiron to keep up with a Tesla Model S P100D from 0 to 60 and yet that same 3 million.dollar Bugatti cannot park itself, summon out of a garage, or potentially drive itself to a destination with little to no input from the driver. And you get all of that for $150,000 (or less). The Rimac is hardly a "production car" just like a Caterham Seven 620R is not really a production car despite its mesmerizing acceleration and statistics. And really the only reason the Bugatti should be considered a production car is because it's manufactured by Volkswagen (essentially). So even with the price increase it is still a jaw draw dropping value and the only reason I didn't order the top of the line car is because A) I can't afford it and B) It doesn't come with a manual transmission.

No, I meant the most powerful BEV. Rimac Concept S is a BEV with 1384 hp. Also, Concept One is over 1000 hp, if you don't consider Concept S released yet.

Gotcha. But it is barely in production. 8 sold since 2013? Sort of a custom.

The base Mercedes S600 sedan is $171k
The Mercedes AMG S65 sedan is $227k

You can spend close to $130k on a Corvette today.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
@abikepeddler Well, first of all, this thread is about Model X, which is nowhere near the quickest production car and it is also the most costly for the Tesla family. Model S P100D did not go as much up in price. Second, I don't agree with dismissing Rimac Concept One, it is certainly a car one can buy and maintains a far superior performance profile to any Tesla at most of the speed range. That said, I do agree it is of course a low-volume maker.

Second, no matter how one slices and dices it, a price increase of $9,500 is a lot absolutely and even relatively. What, 7%. So it is noteworthy. Given the on-going saga with Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits and all sorts of issues with the Performance batteries, perhaps it suggests increased warranty costs - and increased risk for the customer.

To illustrate my point: Buy a Model X P100D 7-seater next week and it has less interior trim and color choices, no seat ventilation, less free Supercharging and it costs 10k more, compared to six months ago. This is merely what I'm pointing out.

That said, I do agree Model X obviously is a high-performance car that is very quick for an SUV, with an innovative software platform that includes constant updates (for better or for worse), including for automated driving. No denying that. But the relative value of the Performance models has been steadily declining with each price increase, while the relative value of the lower-end Teslas has gotten better.

And that $145,000 buys many a car with far superior interior than a Tesla, where Tesla has mostly taken steps back instead of progressing. With the latest changes, I personally find it once again slightly less appealing - with the exception of the 6-seater console, which while not something for me, is at least a small nice improvement. Other than that, the product has gotten less compelling over time, not more.

Now, of course, it is possible that next week sees some other product improvements that Tesla is holding back. Those can always happen in such a random fashion that it is safer to never buy a Tesla... ;)

Reactions: jerjozwik
Well obviously they have people buying, that's why they raised the price. As for reverse discounting, I'm not sure how much of a factor that plays. I believe the price increases stick for a while after announcement and they do follow through with it, so it's a real price increase. They are only giving a week, so doesn't seem like much time if the primary goal is to do some sort of "reverse discount".

Well obviously they have people buying, that's why they raised the price.

Maybe they do. But given the known specs, a Model X P100D was a much more lucrative purchase six months ago than it will be in one week's time. In part that could be already said today (e.g. ventilation and Supercharging), but with a 10k price increase on the cards, that math changes again. Unless what we know changes features-wise, of course.

As for reverse discounting, I'm not sure how much of a factor that plays. I believe the price increases stick for a while after announcement and they do follow through with it, so it's a real price increase. They are only giving a week, so doesn't seem like much time if the primary goal is to do some sort of "reverse discount".

Reverse discounting isn't necessarily about how permanent the price changes are, it is how they are timed and pre-announced. They are creating a short-term price incentive, similar to discounts, to generate demand levers at opportune moments within a quarter. Though, of course, Tesla also did announce several price decreases today, which they did not pre-announce... ;) Tesla prices are constantly in flux - and for a company that says no discounts, that is effectively creating discounts.

Tesla of course has every right to do this. I am merely offering my opinion on what this does to how compelling the product offering is subjectively - and what we are learning of the Tesla sales process.

Maybe they do. But given the known specs, a Model X P100D was a much more lucrative purchase six months ago than it will be in one week's time. In part that could be already said today (e.g. ventilation and Supercharging), but with a 10k price increase on the cards, that math changes again. Unless what we know changes features-wise, of course.

Reverse discounting isn't necessarily about how permanent the price changes are, it is how they are timed and pre-announced. They are creating a short-term price incentive, similar to discounts, to generate demand levers at opportune moments within a quarter. Though, of course, Tesla also did announce several price decreases today, which they did not pre-announce... ;) Tesla prices are constantly in flux - and for a company that says no discounts, that is effectively creating discounts.

Tesla of course has every right to do this. I am merely offering my opinion on what this does to how compelling the product offering is subjectively - and what we are learning of the Tesla sales process.
Well I'm saying timing doesn't seem to make sense for a reverse discounting. Given only 1 weeks notice, it pretty much means it gives people on the fence enough time to decide, but I don't see how there is enough time to really make any significant change in demand.

If they need to provide a price decrease, then I don't see why not just do a price decrease (or equivalently same price with more bundled features), as they did on the others.

Well I'm saying timing doesn't seem to make sense for a reverse discounting. Given only 1 weeks notice, it pretty much means it gives people on the fence enough time to decide, but I don't see how there is enough time to really make any significant change in demand.

If they need to provide a price decrease, then I don't see why not just do a price decrease (or equivalently same price with more bundled features), as they did on the others.

You don't see it? Tesla has obviously created two steps of sales incentives here for Q2:

First the Model S 60/60D discontinuation, which was used by sales as a demand leverl beforehand. Many people even on TMC pulled the trigger (then they went further and introduced a 2k 75 kWh upgrade option to eke out a bit more from those people and keep them from cancelling).

Once those orders were in, a second demand lever was introduced: the timed price-increase to 100D/P100D. Just one week, still within the timeframe needed to deliver many of those orders within Q2...

That one week will move people to ordering sooner rather than later in the quarter, which means bigger delivery numbers for Q2.

Q3 will be mostly about Model 3, but for Q2 Tesla still needs its games...

You don't see it? Tesla has obviously created two steps of sales incentives here for Q2:

First the Model S 60/60D discontinuation, which was used by sales as a demand leverl beforehand. Many people even on TMC pulled the trigger (then they went further and introduced a 2k 75 kWh upgrade option to eke out a bit more from those people and keep them from cancelling).
The 60/60D made sense in timing: it was a one month notice. That's enough time to change demand. Also, it came during the Q1 rush, so it makes sense because of that too.

Once those orders were in, a second demand lever was introduced: the timed price-increase to 100D/P100D. Just one week, still within the timeframe needed to deliver many of those orders within Q2...

That one week will move people to ordering sooner rather than later in the quarter, which means bigger delivery numbers for Q2.

Q3 will be mostly about Model 3, but for Q2 Tesla still needs its games...
Well, what will just one week notice do? I have doubts. And right now Q2 just started. It's not like they have a rush as with the previous announcements.

The 60/60D made sense in timing: it was a one month notice. That's enough time to change demand. Also, it came during the Q1 rush, so it makes sense because of that too.

Well, what will just one week notice do? I have doubts. And right now Q2 just started. It's not like they have a rush as with the previous announcements.

You have to account for confirmation and delivery times.

Orders received need 1-2 weeks for confirmation (depending on region), that alone takes us to closer to mid-Q2 now. Then you need several weeks for deliveries to far-away destinations, to keep within the quarter, and at the end of the quarter they can ship to closer the factory...

Gathering orders now (or already in late Q1) makes sense from Q2 boost perspective. Later in the quarter the potential is less as less of those car can be delivered within the same quarter they are manufactured, which Tesla optimizes for.

It seems many people buy the P versions for bragging rights and don't care too much about what it costs. The non-P versions of the S and X have better range than the P and better acceleration than just about any ICE. There's no practical reason to buy a P. Tesla may think they've left money on the table by not charging enough for it to those who don't care what it costs.

Reactions: bhzmark and ecarfan
It seems many people buy the P versions for bragging rights and don't care too much about what it costs. The non-P versions of the S and X have better range than the P and better acceleration than just about any ICE. There's no practical reason to buy a P. Tesla may think they've left money on the table by not charging enough for it to those who don't care what it costs.

It is possible. And if Tesla can charge an even bigger premium for P models, more power to them...

IMO they would be wise to keep adding to the lucrativeness of the product, though, not just taking stuff away and adding to price.

On balance, the Performance models were much more compelling deals a year or few ago. I guess Tesla is resigning them to more of a niche.

That's insane... Speaking specifically of the P price increases...

There's already major issues with Tesla silently limiting power on the P models and then they have the audacity to jack the price up even further??? What a joke... Tesla can't even get ventilated seats right, although I liked them but apparently I'm in the minority, yet they think it's okay to charge almost an additional $10K for the X P100DL without giving you anything in return?

Yikes...

Jeff

In addition to the low-end price decreases (at least 60D battery upgrade price) and feature changes (Helix wheels retired, new 20" wheel color, center console for 6-seater rear) today, according to Electrek Tesla will increase prices a week from today. Especially notable seems to be the $9,500 increase to P100D:
  • Model S 100D: $95,000 to $97,500
  • Model S P100D: $134,500 to $140,000
  • Model X 100D: $98,500 to $99,500
  • Model X P100D: $135,500 to $145,000
Personally, having taken delivery of P100D in Q1, I already found the car very expensive compared to my expectations of what I was reserving back in 2014. This will take the top end further upwards, though at least the upgraded AC charger is included in the price.

Clearly this is Tesla using their now infamous reverse discounting (pre-announced price increase) to keep demand going for Q2 deliveries. Cars ordered this week can still be delivered to many places within the quarter...

Tesla confirms ‘slight price increases’ for 100D/P100D models next week after decreases for lower-end models today

Tesla’s least expensive vehicle is now the Model S 75 at $69,500 after overnight price drop & newly included options [Updated]

Any thoughts?
I wonder if this will apply to inventory units. I read somewhere that Tesla is moving more toward having inventory for sale and de-prioritizing special orders. And there are a lot more inventory units than what you can see on the Tesla site or even TeslaInventory or EV-CPO.

Tesla may think they've left money on the table by not charging enough for it to those who don't care what it costs.
I think that is very likely. Tesla has no meaningful competition, particularly with the Performance models (the Rimac is not a meaningful competitor in any rational sense of the word). People who want the quickest production BEV will pay what Tesla asks, up to a point. If sales drop off after the upcoming price increase, Tesla will adjust the price.