Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X parked in a single car garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a single car garage but are interested in a Model X. We are expecting twins in the new year and may have situations where we need to park the X in the garage.

Wondering how many owners here do fit their X in a single car garage. Success stories, horror stories, tips? At the end of the day, if it has to live outside due to its size, so be it. If anyone has any photos to share that would be great.

A two car garage with two cars can be tighter than a one car garage with one car. All depends on the size / per car.

My two car garage is not that big and was a concern. The demo center let me take it home and try it. Fit better than I expected. I was mostly concerned about the FWD.

• Informative
Reactions: Techniques
It's about 6 inches longer and wider than a midsize car like a Honda Accord. What do you drive now? That should give you an idea how how well a MX would fit. Parking inside will make charging easier, but lots of people charge outdoors.

A two car garage with two cars can be tighter than a one car garage with one car. All depends on the size / per car.

My two car garage is not that big and was a concern. The demo center let me take it home and try it. Fit better than I expected. I was mostly concerned about the FWD.
How are the FWD for you concerning ceiling height. I’m worried about clipping the opener itself.

It's about 6 inches longer and wider than a midsize car like a Honda Accord. What do you drive now? That should give you an idea how how well a MX would fit. Parking inside will make charging easier, but lots of people charge outdoors.

Honda’s don’t have FWD and that is usually ones concern with a Model X. And rightfully so. One FWD is more or less unusable in the garage for me. Really should test it to know.

Currently have a model 3, and will try out the 24 hour loaner with Tesla to see the fit of the X in our garage. From the outside the looks of the X is deceiving for sure. I guess mirrors will need to fold close before entering the garage. Wide sucker lol.

Last edited:
My garage is so tight that I can’t even use summon to get the car in as it needs to just brush the front wall and summon only goes to 8”. Luckily I can just get the drivers door open enough to squeeze out once I’ve driven the X in. However I use summon to get it out. Of course there is no way I could open either of the FWD’s inside the garage but I never find this a problem. When we’re ready to set off I simply summon the car out into the open where it can easily open all the doors on the driveway.
In my opinion the benefit of keeping the car in a garage, even if very tight, far outweighs the inconvenience of not being able to open the FWD.

Reactions: Kutu and Techniques
How are the FWD for you concerning ceiling height. I’m worried about clipping the opener itself.
In a one car garage, the opener is centered above the car and should be pretty difficult to hit with the FWDs. I park in a one car garage that is attached to a 2-car garage. I can't open the FWD on the outside because it is too close to the wall, but in the inside, I can open it all the way and it doesn't hit the opener or the garage door rails.

• Informative
When I first got my MX I was terrified when I got it home, that it would not fit in my two car garage. Terrified. Thought I would have to return the car since it looked like it might not fit. I have a 1958 Chevy convertible on one side and had a 2009 Mercury Mariner hybrid, a small SUV, on the other side.

I sweated and measured and cleared space ahead and slowly eased it in bit by bit and remeasured. When it was clear of the garage door with inches to spare, I put down a large 2 by 4 piece of wood that I affixed to the garage floor to keep the MX from going in too far. It has actually worked and now i can pull it in quite comfortably, although sometimes getting in and out of the driver's side is a bit of a stretch. I don't get into the passenger side at all, the clothes dryer is too close. I also leave the FWDs closed while in the garage. Don't want to take a chance. Sometimes I will use Summon to back it out of the garage.

I have gotten pretty good at getting it in but the car does complain about the tight fit at times.

Mike P

• Helpful
We have a single car garage but are interested in a Model X. We are expecting twins in the new year and may have situations where we need to park the X in the garage.

Wondering how many owners here do fit their X in a single car garage. Success stories, horror stories, tips? At the end of the day, if it has to live outside due to its size, so be it. If anyone has any photos to share that would be great.

I’m in the same position. Single garage and model x.

‘what I do is, I let everyone out of the car in the driveway, then I back in the garage bearing all the way to the right side leaving 2 inches resulting in maximum space on the driver side for me to get out

• Informative
I park through a single car garage door when I visit my son, although it's a two car garage. I'm pretty good at it now. The hardest part for me is pulling forward into the garage. You have to center the car by eye. I usually have a helper the first few times. I fold the mirrors when entering tight garages.

Backing out is actually easier. You can use the side mirrors to see how the sides of your car are doing as you back out. Just before they reach the garage door opening you can fold them again, though I usually don't need to since you can see the clearance.

I like to park very close to the wall in our two-car garage. To help with that I use a convex mirror mounted on the wall. With that I can see how far away I am from the wall. You could mount one or two of those in strategic locations to help you out.

The FWD's are fairly conservative inside enclosed spaces. You may need to raise them a bit manually for easier access if you're not loading/unloading outside the garage.

While I do have a two car garage - the driver for me appears to be the height restriction in opening the Falcon Wing Doors (FWD). They will typically open about 3/4 of the way, setting the edge of the door at just about forehead height (don't ask me how I know). After a couple of...painful reminders...I now tend to be more careful. Same for the rear hatch, have to bend down a bit when that is open.

We primarily bought the Model X because of the FWDs, and putting the grandkids into the seats. It is quite possible, and very convenient, to do it in the garage, even with having to bend over to get into the door space.

As for car placement, I use a $20 motion activated laser marker to set the drive-in distance. I set the marker to show the laser dot coming just onto the dash through the window, then I know I am in the right position in. I also use it for my second (now seldom used) as that need to be set within about 2 inches so as to not hit the motorcycle parked in front, and still be able to close the garage door. (It is a dual laser marker unit mounted to the garage ceiling - motion activated. can also be used to provide a marker(s) on the hood as you drive in for Left/right alignment.

With close parking (in Paring lots or garages), I typically have more issues with opening the driver door and not hitting something, than with opening the FWD.

You will really, really love having the FWDs for putting the kids in their car seats, I meant really really love it. The car and seats are just the right height with outstanding access.

I find that backing into a tight garage is easier than pulling in front first. The rearview mirrors make it much easier to line up and the rear cam shows how close to the wall the car is. Pulling in front first does activate the proximity sensors though so that is a wash with the rear cam backing in.

Completely agree. I prefer backing in to my garage. I have tape on the ground giving me something to aim at. And the lens on the rearview cameras is so wide angle you can see the edge of the bumper when it aligns with the tape on the ground. This puts me with an inch of the same spot day after day.

Ah! I was looking all over for this thread two months ago and never found it.

Short story, I live in the NYC Metro area and made it very apparent to the Tesla sales rep that the car fitting into my garage was the make or break point. Tesla actually arranged for a garage fitting! They drove a Model X out to my house and we did a test fitting into my garage. I ended up buying a (used) X the following week.

My garage is unusually small which made this car a tough sell. Backing in is almost completely out of the question considering the oil based furnace that you see pictured to the right. Between the burner box (black box) and the front left tire of the car there is about 18in of space which is just enough to comfortably walk through. I had to hang a mirror which is pictured above the front right tire so that I can see just how close to the wall I am. Opening any doors on the right side are impossible. The left FWD can open completely with about 2-3 inches to spare but the garage door can not open or close without hitting the car door.

The short story - this is a small garage but I managed to make it work. If you have twins this may be a load/unload in the driveway situation. I will say though with the FWD it will make loading kids in and out of car seats a breeze without having to worry about a door in your way.

Bonus* The oil furnace keeps the garage a good 70 degrees in the winter! :)

Let me know if you want measurements of the car with doors open/closed, etc.

MVIMG_20191221_221934.jpg
IMG_20191221_222025.jpg
IMG_20191221_221943.jpg

• Helpful
I have a 3 cars garage but 2 of the 3 are filled with boxes. For the 3rd one, we moved the boxes to the sides and front so my wife's MX could park. It is actually pretty easy to pull in as we set the side mirrors to auto fold at home. The 2 sides have about 6 to 8 inches space at the door frame with the mirror folded. For the front, we have about 6 inches before hitting the boxes. Sometime my wife just run into them.. no harm done LOL. The back has about 8 inches. If I need to get stuff out of the trunk.. I have to open the garage door first. The FWD can actually open fully inside the garage, but they need to be overridden to do that. By itself, it will open to the height in the picture shown, but it is enough to get in and out.

4BfCHli.jpg

e3L45tB.jpg

OmWH0yE.jpg

Re4Icux.jpg

gPmnu3o.jpg

The most important factor isn’t a 1 vs 2 car garage, but much extra width you have beyond the edges of the garage door. Generally have 8” to 1.5 feet. The wider the space generally the more useful it is for loading with the falcon wing doors on the wall side. We have a two car garage but have about 8” beyond the edge of the garage door. So I usually end up using summon to get car out of garage while getting shoes on so my wife can access her door. I can load kids through the center garage aide falcon wing door into their car seats.

A single garage can work if you have clearance on once side to get kids in, and that the doors have clearance to open without risk of banging them on the garage rails or other things in the garage. Worst case you can always use summon.