Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Performance - brief thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Selfishly I must confess that a part of me hopes they don't drastically improve the build quality. One of the cold comforts buying the car, spending that amount of money on it, was knowing that they are all broadly the same standard in terms of build quality and that anyone wanting to buy a M3P when I come to sell mine won't have a selection of newer cars that are miles better in that respect.

That being said I wouldn't wish anyone end up with a poor quality car (beyond standard Tesla fit and finish poor), obviously.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Although I don't drive an X, I can certainly identify with many of the points you make, good and bad.

This one properly made me chuckle - First world problem for sure, but yeah... I get it! Of course it you weren't laying it on with the right pedal it would be less likely to find it's way to the back :p

Here's a petty one! The completely flat floor means when i dropped my phone tonight it slid all the way back to the back of the rear seats.

Approaching one year in I sure wouldn't change it and hopefully I'll still feel the same in a few year's time. But for sure they still need to do quite a lot of work on build quality

I'm thinking that maybe there have already been some improvements in build quality. Have you driven any M3s that were built later than yours? I only ask because mine (delivered September) remains very tight and without any squeaks and clonks (other than battery expansion noises). Paint was blemish free too! Mine fell foul of the "Multiple System Failure" issue but was fixed in a couple of days and has been good ever since (fingers crossed).

I wonder what the Chinese built cars are like in terms of fit and finish. I.e. is it the engineering or the build location that affects how the car feels on quality, or maybe both ?

Assuming Berlin appears from the forest, will be interesting to see whether the Germans accept a reputation for churning out cars with either perceived or real build issues.

Saying this, all VWs rattle these days, my last 2 BMWs also rattled, so it seems it is getting harder to have a quality build for your hard-earned spend.

Auto-wipers : you should maybe give a second chance as they are said to learn from rain density and your actions to lower or increase wipe frequency. It takes more than two weeks to get results.
Maybe I want it so but it feels like they work better now than at the beginning (7 months old MX).
Quite noisy though.