Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Performance - is this wh/m normal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Had my MX Performance 2 weeks. So far over the 700 miles ive done ive averaged 456wh/m. This would only give me around 180 miles max.

I've tried putting it in range mode and setting the cruise control to 60 mph and ive still not seen as low as 300wh/m

Is this normal? the range isn't what i expected. To be fair with free supercharging and a 7kw home charger it doesn't really matter but as i say its not currently being anywhere near as efficient as i thought

It's on 22" turbines

Rob

Lifetime on my Ludicrous Raven is ~320 Wh/mile, and that's higher than it should be because of sticky winter tires this past winter.

But the 22" rims and the stickier tires that come with them are said to be 10-15% less efficient, and new drivers experimenting with what the car can do will likely take more power. :)

Trip length makes a big difference, too, with shorter trips taking more energy as the HVAC brings the cabin to a comfortable temperature. It's especially painful on short trips in the cold.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hi all

Had my MX Performance 2 weeks. So far over the 700 miles ive done ive averaged 456wh/m. This would only give me around 180 miles max.
I've tried putting it in range mode and setting the cruise control to 60 mph and ive still not seen as low as 300wh/m
Is this normal? the range isn't what i expected. To be fair with free supercharging and a 7kw home charger it doesn't really matter but as i say its not currently being anywhere near as efficient as i thought
It's on 22" turbines
Rob

Seems pretty normal to me, especially in the first 700 miles. The 22 inch wheels suck watts like crazy

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver and Rocky_H
Seems pretty normal to me, especially in the first 700 miles. The 22 inch wheels suck watts like crazy
That’s what I didn’t realize when I bought my MX P100DL you get all the acceleration you want but not the mileage you’d expect. A 75D will have better range I think. That was puzzling. I guess the 22” wider wheels, spoke design and the design for speed in ludicrous mode make a huge difference.

That’s what I didn’t realize when I bought my MX P100DL you get all the acceleration you want but not the mileage you’d expect. A 75D will have better range I think. That was puzzling. I guess the 22” wider wheels, spoke design and the design for speed in ludicrous mode make a huge difference.

Actually it is mainly the tires. High performance tires simply stick to the pavement much more aggressively than the low rolling resistance tires on the 20-inch wheels. More stick means less energy efficient. My X came with 20 inch wheels, I got a set of 22-inch wheels (promotional spiff a couple of years ago) and used them for about six months. Sold them.

My 2016 MX P100D came with 20" wheels as that was my requirement. My personal preference is to have the better performing tires for range and towing. 22" severely limits towing. Just now learning they significantly limit range too. But I don't seem to have any trouble whatsoever with my 0-60 performance with the 20" wheels/tires. IMO, 456 Wh/mi is way too high for going 60mph on a relatively flat highway and not driving highly aggressively. My average when not towing my boat is closer to 320 roaming around the hilly Virginia countryside, and I get on it every now and then. When I don't, I can stay just under 300.

Oops, you got me there. So, mine is 400 Wh/mile then. Not so ludicrous anymore...
We have 26,600 miles on our MX at 309 Whrs/mile for average. On trips, we seldom exceed 70mph, usually cruising at 60-65. Trips have included runs over the Wasatch and Cedar Breaks in Utah. All with HDW 2+. Not sure if that will hold with recent install of HDW 3 and Version 2020.20.12 xxx. So far the software seems to be accelerating battery drain.

• Informative
Reactions: sllvgl

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_171325.jpg
    IMG_20200706_171325.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 125