TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X: Personalized Plates

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ronmerkord, Mar 11, 2014.

1. ronmerkord

ronmerkord Member

Just received my new Model X personalized plates today. Yes, there is no car yet, but I wanted to reserve the plates. Here's hoping the car won't be too long a wait.
    Hopefully other MX soon-to-be owners will post their upcoming plates here as well.
    Ron
    SigX #1015

Attached Files:

2. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

:wink:

Attached Files:

3. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

OR plate: L0L MPG

Riding around on our Honda CRX while we wait. And wait.

4. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

i think its posted in the model s personalized plates thread, but GAS X would be even better for an x.

5. MikeL

MikeL some guy

image.jpg I went "simple, yet effective". They're weathering on my truck while a very patient Flat Stanley waits with a fresh one for a ride.

6. ModelX

ModelX Member

Mike, how did you do this? I understood in Utah that plates couldn't be moved from one car to another. Did I misunderstand? Also, great plates!

7. 772

772 Member

Someone already took MODEL X in Ohio! Which one of you was it? :crying:

8. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

9. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Haven't actually done anything yet. When one went "missing":wink:, I ordered a replacement set so now I have 3; 2 on truck, one on wall. As far as switching cars, you can't change-over mid reg, but since you re-reg every year, you can then. Problem is the timing needs to be right if you are keeping the first car. I have a year to work out the details. Coincidentally, the truck reg is up this month so it'll be close, I hope.

Al, it is my understanding that THIS thread would be for X-themed plates. So far, so good. 8 posts vs. like 100 pages !

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

How odd. I wonder what happened. Hmmmm.

- - - Updated - - -

Pfffyt. Those are S plates. These are X plates. Next you'll want Roadster owners to post in the Model S thread, too!

:)

11. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

Fair word of warning, particularly to those of you in California: if you were planning on doing a personalized plate in some way riffing on the falcon wing doors, DeLorean owners have already snapped up most of the good ones. :)

12. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Classic ! . . . wait, ¿ there are actual DeLoreans w actual license plates on them ?!

13. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

K. Just noticed this is the Model X thread. Personalize on! :smile:

OMG , no! I've spent years reading Roadster posts and wondering why I knew so little about my car before realizing it.:smile: Maybe a re-title for inattentive retired types:
    "Personalized Model X Plates?"

"Pfffyt?"

14. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

The Hawaii owners are to be commended since they insert a "Hawaii" in every thread title. Good idea for the Model X reservation holders to do the same thing.

15. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

I guess a mod can rename this one to 'Model X personalized plates'

16. ronmerkord

ronmerkord Member

When I started this thread, I figured since it was in the Model X forum, and the fact that it started with a picture of my "XERO CO2" plate (zero with an X), that would get the idea across. We soon-to-be Model X owners are in a class by ourselves.

The really sad thing about my plate is that, in California, new plates have to be assigned to a vehicle, so these have to go on my ranch truck until the MX arrives. My truck is anything but "XERO CO2".

17. bonnie

Ron - I thought plates had to be assigned also. But when I went to pick up my plates from California DMV, the woman at the counter told me that wasn't true. I paid for my plates & when I have my X, I'll bring in the registration info and get it all linked together. In the meantime, the plates sit in my office.

18. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Which make you a "collector" :smile: Oh, the suspense. First time we'll see them is on the car?

19. bonnie

No, I posted them somewhere before. They're not specific to the X, but to EVs in general.

My Roadster plate and my X plate (I wanted 'DISRUPT' but that was taken):

Attached Files:

20. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yes, you can ask for the plates to be held at the DMV beyond the initial 30 days. For how long beyond is kind of unclear. It's best to go to the DMV in person and ask for the extension. The staff there may be a factor too; I've had one instance when the lady there insisted that I assign them to a car rightaway when on a different occasion, the nice(r) lady put a post-it note on my plates indicating a rough ETA for assignment - the plates stayed at the DMV on this latter occasion.