Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Phantom Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been a happy Model 3 owner for several years. About a year ago we bought a brand new Raven Model X to support our growing family.

I’m not sure when it started or if it has always been like this, but here what I noticed:

I used to commute with the Model 3 with ability to charge at work. The X would just be parked in the garage most days and top off to 80% or so most days.

Since the start of the pandemic we’ve been driving both cars much less. And most trips we make involve the children, so we barely drive the Model 3.
But even then, the barely drive the X. Maybe a couple dozen miles a week at most.

What I have noticed is that the Model X’s Phantom Drain was really high. We could let the Model 3 sit for multiple weeks without having to recharge it, but the Model X had to be charged at least weekly, even if we barely used it.

Whenever the Model X was parked in the garage for charging I could also occasionally hear it making weird “clacking” noises, as if some mechanical part in the car engaged and disengaged.

At the time I contacted Tesla because I supsecte the car making noises every 30 mins or so all night long might explain the high phantom drain. After remotely looking into it the tech told me everything was fine and I should expect higher consumption from my X than my 3.

I started investigating this a little more and got some software that uses the Tesla API to monitor battery state, driven miles, the cars online state, etc (Home Assistant Tesla Integration, in case you’re wondering).

mit quickly became apparent that the phantom drain on the X was through the roof. I easily have up to 10%
drain / day, even when not touching the car. The Model 3 for compuions has maybe 1% drain / day.

From the instrumentation I can also see that the Model 3 has long periods of being offline (basically whenever I don’t drive it), whereas the X is *constantly* reporting online through the Tesla API.

In the Last 7 days I drove the X ~50 miles and I had ~150 miles phantom drained from the battery state.

I’m looking to hear from some other Model X owners to see if they are having similar experiences with their cars. I plan on pushing on Tesla to look into the issue some more. Right now the car will drain power worth ~$50 every month just for sitting around doing nothing. That doesn’t seem normal and is probably more than I would be spending on gas right no if it was a gas car.

Sentry mode on?
I’ve turned off sentry mode, cabin overhead protection, automatic door opening. Same thing. I just found a thread in this forum that discusses similar problems. They recommended a 4 button reset of the car. I’ve done a two button reset, but wasn’t aware of the 4 button one.

I’m also considering just doing a factory reset to see if that will resolve the issue if I can’t figure it out otherwise.

By any chance are you leaving the FOB in the Model X or within range of the X. It won’t sleep properly if you do.

I’ve had a Model 3 and traded for an X a year after getting the 3 and both have done well on phantom drain. The 3 did some weird *sugar* in the Winter though I think to keep charge port from freezing.

I also learned on the Model 3 that using any 3rd party API to monitor phantom drain is self defeating. Both cars I can go 2-3 days and lose as little as 1 mile. I don’t use any API tools.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I too have found phantom drain to be incredibly high on my 2020 MX LR+ if it doesn’t go to sleep. I’ve installed the home assistant integration as well and while the data was neat, it does prevent the car from sleeping at all and you will get the phantom drain. My car does successfully sleep with cabin overheat protection on (but when not hot enough to need it), sentry off, and nothing polling the API (no 3rd party apps and in the home assistant integration you can turn the update switch off and it won’t poll the API). While the car is sleeping, I’ve lost 0-1% over 48 hrs or more that I haven’t awaken it which I think is as good as can be expected. Remember even opening the app wakes it but you can see if it’s sleeping by checking the “widget” on the iPhone and as long as you don’t touch anything else it won’t wake.

Things I’d try: As others have mentioned- keep the key far far away. Do several reboots after software updates. Turn off the updates in the home assistant integration (or delete the integration all together). Change your Tesla password which will boot anything 3rd party potentially polling the API. If somewhere very hot, maybe turn off the cabin heat protection, but like I said, even parked in my SoCal garage I leave it on and it doesn’t necessarily prevent it from sleeping.

Oh, lastly, I think someone had mentioned once that they were having similar issues and had potentially traced it to the drive they were using for dashcam/sentry that was somehow preventing the sleep- of you have one in, maybe pull it and do some reboots and see if that along with all the above makes any difference. For reference, I do have a little stubby Samsung usb drive in there and it doesn’t prevent sleeping so there are ones that work fine if you find yours to be the culprit.

Let us know how you make out- Good luck!!

• Informative
So-here's my two cents. May not be related to your problem. I've been noticing my phantom drain on my X too. It got a ton worse lately. I thought it was that I live in a cold climate, etc, but it's been high during the summer. Yes, I've disabled sentry, cabin overheat, etc etc. On my third party app, i was wayyyy hgher than like 99% of other cars for phantom drain.

And that's about when I got the notification on my car that my 12V battery needed replacing. Which tesla did (super fast, and via mobile service-had a great customer experience there!) and now - phantom drain greatly reduced. it's more what I would expect-1% ish at most.

I’m on 2020.36, got it yesterday I think and the car is sleeping fine (just checked now). I was noticing a few updates ago that it didn’t seem to get back on a good sleep schedule till a couple days after the update. I had read somewhere that it was good practice to do a reboot or two after any update, just to give a reset and fresh start to all systems and I’ve been doing that for the last couple updates and sleeping has resumed as appropriate right after.

Vampire drain is near nothing if the car goes to sleep so if experiencing significant drain, it’s likely something is preventing it from sleeping so the key is tracking that down.

I had a similar issue which I solved by disconnecting 12V battery and the high voltage relay (the orange first responder loop), see my post at Battery discharging after 2020.20.13 update

In essence, what I did was doing a complete cold boot of the electronics.
It has been almost a month and my X goes to sleep within an hour of coming home, the only time I noticed the car stays awake long is when I initiate software update. The car stays awake as long as 13 hours before it goes to sleep.

Don't bother complaining to Tesla service, they will tell you it's normal for the X to loose 3% of energy in 24 hours.
Good luck...

2018 MX. 15,000 miles. Before, car lost 1-2 miles range in 24 hours sitting completely idle. Recent new software update (started with 2020.48.35 but now at 35.5) and 3rd replacement of main screen (another story for another time), upon reconnect and reboot after screen replaced sudden 12 v battery failure warning. They replaced 12v battery. Since then, 1-2 mile range drain per hour with car COMPLETELY idle. only getting barely 50% of actual mileage vs charged miles. This is Not driving style related. I provided time stamps over 1 month, photos of car and app displayed info, charging info, etc. 3 service calls later (which took over 1.5 months for scheduling), mobile visit and virtual, confirmed NOTHING turned on and no faults found. They did 2 full factory resets. They finally tell me "that is within normal range" and "there isn't anything wrong". The only suggestion they left me with was "try draining battery to 5%, recharge to 100%, then repeat a couple of times. That might reset the range indicator". I am in process of trying that. When range got to 50 miles it suddenly went UP to 51, then stayed at 51 for two idle days, no loss. I will drive it down to single digits and charge today.. Normally, I charge daily to 80%. Sorry, but saying losing up to 10 miles in 8 hours and 24 miles range in 24 hours (idle) is suddenly normal and within range is UNACCEPTABLE. All I got was "Gee, sorry", "you're not the only one", and a cursory "maybe the next update will fix it". They clearly don't know what is causing it and have offered no other followup. They should do better job trying to find out and resolve. If I have to, it will be back to filing an arbitration request with the state plus more. I really want to love this vehicle, but the company is making it impossible. Extremely frustrated. Anyone else with this issue?

2018 MX. 15,000 miles. Before, car lost 1-2 miles range in 24 hours sitting completely idle. Recent new software update (started with 2020.48.35 but now at 35.5) and 3rd replacement of main screen (another story for another time), upon reconnect and reboot after screen replaced sudden 12 v battery failure warning. They replaced 12v battery. Since then, 1-2 mile range drain per hour with car COMPLETELY idle. only getting barely 50% of actual mileage vs charged miles. This is Not driving style related. I provided time stamps over 1 month, photos of car and app displayed info, charging info, etc. 3 service calls later (which took over 1.5 months for scheduling), mobile visit and virtual, confirmed NOTHING turned on and no faults found. They did 2 full factory resets. They finally tell me "that is within normal range" and "there isn't anything wrong". The only suggestion they left me with was "try draining battery to 5%, recharge to 100%, then repeat a couple of times. That might reset the range indicator". I am in process of trying that. When range got to 50 miles it suddenly went UP to 51, then stayed at 51 for two idle days, no loss. I will drive it down to single digits and charge today.. Normally, I charge daily to 80%. Sorry, but saying losing up to 10 miles in 8 hours and 24 miles range in 24 hours (idle) is suddenly normal and within range is UNACCEPTABLE. All I got was "Gee, sorry", "you're not the only one", and a cursory "maybe the next update will fix it". They clearly don't know what is causing it and have offered no other followup. They should do better job trying to find out and resolve. If I have to, it will be back to filing an arbitration request with the state plus more. I really want to love this vehicle, but the company is making it impossible. Extremely frustrated. Anyone else with this issue?

I think I commented similar earlier in this thread- if you are losing what seems to be excessive battery when “idle” the car is likely not actually idle and not going to sleep. There’s a slew of things that can cause it from apps pinging it to the environment it’s sitting in to various settings of features. Change your Tesla password and only log in on the Tesla app, double check all the usual settings mentioned here and elsewhere that are typical of preventing seep, do 2 or 3 resets after all that and then monitor, but not too often because every time you open that app, it’ll wake the car for a bit. The one thing you might not be able to control too much is environment- I notice if I park outside as opposed to the garage, even with everything else off, whatever it does to manage the battery temp, sucks up more battery than when it’s sitting in the garage 30’ away.

I think I commented similar earlier in this thread- if you are losing what seems to be excessive battery when “idle” the car is likely not actually idle and not going to sleep. There’s a slew of things that can cause it from apps pinging it to the environment it’s sitting in to various settings of features. Change your Tesla password and only log in on the Tesla app, double check all the usual settings mentioned here and elsewhere that are typical of preventing seep, do 2 or 3 resets after all that and then monitor, but not too often because every time you open that app, it’ll wake the car for a bit. The one thing you might not be able to control too much is environment- I notice if I park outside as opposed to the garage, even with everything else off, whatever it does to manage the battery temp, sucks up more battery than when it’s sitting in the garage 30’ away.
Thanks for replying, but again ,I have, as well as mobile and virtual tech support, troubleshoot, monitored, and found nothing causing the drain. Live in s. Fl so temp not an issue. Did not have problem until software update and screen, then 12v replaced. Then it started.

Thanks for replying, but again ,I have, as well as mobile and virtual tech support, troubleshoot, monitored, and found nothing causing the drain. Live in s. Fl so temp not an issue. Did not have problem until software update and screen, then 12v replaced. Then it started.

you do have a couple additional factors with the service items, and update wise, I notice variations here and there as well in terms of behavior. With the most recent update (35.5) I think it does take a little longer to settle in to a good deep sleep. Just for reference, and I know no 2 of these cars are the same, here’s my car’s states over the last 48 hrs:
4B186750-1DE3-4B08-990B-C9507286F6F0.png

There’s an interesting pattern of sleeping for 15 mins then waking up for 15 mins then after that cycle for about 12 hours of no outside interference, it’s been asleep for over 12 hours. I feel like this pattern might be new with this last update because I have seen it start a long sleep much quicker in the past. If you haven’t already, maybe monitor its sleep patterns and see if you can identify some factor not initially obvious that is preventing it from sleeping.

BtW, as directed by service, drained to 15 miles, then charged to "100%", which showed as only 281 miles (rated at 289), but charging stopped "complete" at 270 miles. Before I could even disconnect 4 hours later, went down to 268.

First, strongly suggest changing your display (and thinking) to battery percent as opposed to fictional miles. 2 miles over 4 hours is 0.7%, extrapolate that to a day and it’s a little over 4% - about what I’d see in my 2020 MX if it didn’t sleep so I don’t think anything is abnormally draining your battery, it’s just not sleeping properly. As you could see from my previous post, it took over 12 hrs of no interaction to enter a deep sleep on this update. If you or it are doing anything (opening app, heating/cooling battery, sentry, opening door, sensing a key nearby, connect/disconnect charger, etc.), you might be resetting the clock on sleep and it’s never getting there. Like I said, I think some of this behavior is aligned to recent update and the next is likely to be different yet again.

I’ve noticed that when I drive long trips and get low to about 15-20 miles left on my MX 75D that in just an hour or two the car drops to 0. It’s happened a few times and can’t tell if it’s phantom drain or if my battery’s level is not correct. Has anyone noticed massive drops at low miles?