Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Phone Key via Bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has already been asked/answered recently. Does anyone know if new model S and X are shipping with the ability to use your phone as a key via bluetooth like model 3? I'm not talking about the data connection required keyless driving from the app. I'm considering ordering one but I love having a keyless life and I don't want to be forced to carry around a fob (feels very old). My model 3 works great with just my smart phone and I hope for the same convenience as an option in Model S/X should I order one. Thanks!

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered recently. Does anyone know if new model S and X are shipping with the ability to use your phone as a key via bluetooth like model 3? I'm not talking about the data connection required keyless driving from the app. I'm considering ordering one but I love having a keyless life and I don't want to be forced to carry around a fob (feels very old). My model 3 works great with just my smart phone and I hope for the same convenience as an option in Model S/X should I order one. Thanks!

Unfortunately nope...requires data to the car, sometimes that’s not reliable, glad I have a cool neighbor to bring me a key!!!! I’ll never leave home without a key again

The only thing.... the key fob isn’t a ball and chain you know, it’s rather pretty

After I went to keyless entry for my house, it’s so nice not carrying around a keychain and metal keys in my pocket. Would love to eliminate the Tesla fob. And once cards and cash are a thing of the past, I’ll only need carry a phone with me for all my needs.

I have a 2020 MX - bluetooth does not work in place of fob for the X, but you can start and operate it with your phone (using various Apps), and leaving your key fob at home. I do this 90% of the time. I use a shortcut via siri mostly, I just say "start my tesla" and the shortcut:

1. checks if I am home (by getting my ip address)
2, if home, starts conditioning, turns on keyless drive, opens my garage door.
3. if not home, starts conditioning, unlocks door, starts keyless drive.

I just lift my arm, and say "start my tesla" into my Apple Watch.

I have a 2020 MX - bluetooth does not work in place of fob for the X, but you can start and operate it with your phone (using various Apps), and leaving your key fob at home. I do this 90% of the time. I use a shortcut via siri mostly, I just say "start my tesla" and the shortcut:

1. checks if I am home (by getting my ip address)
2, if home, starts conditioning, turns on keyless drive, opens my garage door.
3. if not home, starts conditioning, unlocks door, starts keyless drive.

I just lift my arm, and say "start my tesla" into my Apple Watch.

Would you mind posting how you did this? I know there are many options for automation and i am too lazy to read all the forums. You are doing what I would like to do. Thanks in advance!

I downloaded the "Tesla Remote" app to my iPhone (because apple's shortcuts app can access commands from this app).

Then you create a shortcut (mine is called "Start my Tesla", because the name of your apple short cut is also the siri command to launch it).

The Shortcut logic looks like this:
(note, my home IP address contains 10.0.0, and my Tesla does not lock at my home (in my garage).

Scripting: Get current IP address

Scripting: If current IP address contains 10.0.0
Tesla Remote: Start climate control
Tesla Remote: Enable keyless start
Tesla Remote: Homelink

Otherwise:
Tesla Remote: Awaken Tesla
Tesla Remote: Start climate control
Tesla Remote: Unlock Tesla
Tesla Remote: Enable keyless start

End If

Also, you do not need an apple shortcut to run the MX without a fob. You can just go to the Tesla App on your phone, and press the round "keys" icon, which enables keyless driving for your Tesla. Just open the app, press the button, and your X will engage.

The only problem with all of that is it requires both you and your car to have an internet connection. I often take my M3 to mountain areas with no signal or data connection. So until the X gets this amazing bluetooth feature that my M3 has, it won't fit my particular use situation. I'm sure I'm in the minority though.

Reactions: israndy
The only problem with all of that is it requires both you and your car to have an internet connection. I often take my M3 to mountain areas with no signal or data connection. So until the X gets this amazing bluetooth feature that my M3 has, it won't fit my particular use situation. I'm sure I'm in the minority though.

The amazing Bluetooth feature only works about 80% of the time on my 3. The fob is much more reliable, so much so, that I bought a fob for my 3.

Reactions: jboy210