Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Plaid: 20" vs 22" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Placing my order for a MXP, and on the fence about 20" vs 22" wheels. While the 20s don't look bad, the 22s just seem more proportional and befitting the Plaid. :)

I'm aware of the impact on range and ride quality with the 22s. But what about performance and handling - does that improve at all with the 22s? I noticed the 22" tires are slightly wider - does that help with grip?

I just switched from factory 20' wheels to aftermarket 22s with Michelin PS4 A/S tires and I feel an improvement in acceleration and no additional vibration on my '23 Plaid X.

The staggered wheel fitment allows for wider rear tires, which is where the car puts most of its power during a launch, so there's better grip.

In fact, I believe setting the car to the 22' configuration on the computer itself has different traction control tuning and it feels like it does not reduce as much power on a launch like on the 20s. With the 20s I feel like the traction control system pulls power a bit on the launch, where now the car is applying more power and less T/C interference.

Not to mention they look better than the cheap looking stock 20s lol

Attachments

• 20230519_173231.jpg
    20230519_173231.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 438
Reactions: GasNah
I just got done driving around in a 75D on 22's and got back into mine on the 20's and it's pretty obvious from the first corner the 22" all-seasons definitely stick better than the stock 20" all-seasons, and definitely have better steering response. Whether the ride and efficiency penalty is worth it, is up to you. It isn't to me for our family van.

As for why you get a higher top speed, it's likely because the 20's allow more sidewall flex, which means more heat, which means tire failure at high speed. Previous X's couldn't hold top speed for long enough to matter, now the Refresh powertrain can pretty much hold itslef against the speed limiter until the battery is flat.

I'd personally rather have the ride and efficiency benefits of the 20's. I think a nice compromise might be the OEM 20" summer tire, but I've not tried it yet and we have ice and snow sometimes here so...oh well

Both setups are staggered on X refresh. 9" wide front, 10" wide rear. Rears are 285's instead of 275's on the 22's, and if you get the summer 20's, they're 255 up front instead of 265

Last edited:
Reactions: NJturtlePower