Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X plaid or Model S plaid? NZ roads.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I am back again with another query/opinion request...

When I am using Model 3 at the moment, Model 3 is not something fits for purpose to replace my old car Audi A8 Long wheel base version.... At the moment I booked Model X plaid with indicative delivery date late 2022... as well as Cyber Truck, if it ever gets to production.

Big question is, what's better from car owner point of view? Model S or Model X? pros and cons? hits and misses? I am looking at good combination of luxury and flexibility to drive most roads - not a big low ground clearance fan.

Looking forward to your input... so I can decide if I should put deposit for Model S plaid instead/as-well...

Thanks in advance.

PS: Expression of interest welcome for anyone interested to buy my Model 3 with following Specs + all heated seats + massage seats / sound upgrade with extra speakers (Hanshaw modules) + 45-50 piece of accessories to turn everything I could in carbon fibre and functional + $9000 worth full car/wheel/interior wrap/coat with few years wrap/coat maintenance package... expecting car to do some 10-15K by the time I get model S/X delivery subject to Auckland lockdown making it even lower.... and contemplating on installing Yoke style steering wheel :cool:

1635718104909.png

Have you been for a test drive in the S & X
That may help your decision process
At one time they used to allow potential buyers a longer trial
I'm not sure if they still do that
Or if test drives are happening at level 3
Before buying model 3, or forced to buy model 3... I booked test drive for model 3, S, X... once there for model S test drive, they told me that they don't have any model S or X but system still allows to book them.

Long story short, they don't expect any model S or X available for test drive till mid 2022... hence I am out asking others for their experience.

There is a X and S for rent both in Auckland
May not be renting due to lockdown

• Love
Reactions: Audietron
There is a X and S for rent both in Auckland
May not be renting due to lockdown

Cool... this is really helpful.... I will give it a go anyhow... at worst I can pre-book for time we are into traffic light model.

Thanks very much.,

So, I managed to try Model S and X.... happen to cross paths with other Tesla owners at Sylvia park super charger and they were kind enough to let me take a look inside-out and have a little drive to get a feel.

Ultimately new model S and X are total redesign with Yoke steering, so went on and booked model S as well... so I can choose between model S/X/CT towards end of 2022.

Two major difference I noticed between model S and X were battery capacity and suspension... model S offering air suspension in big plus, when model X's falcon doors are fancy aspect.

That's great you got to talk to an owner and drive their car
I was thinking the rental idea might help with a longer test period if Tesla still don't have X & S for test drive
or if you need more time to find out what it's like driving/owning the S & X

It won't really compare as the rental cars are older of course
but it might help to get a feel of the physical size, daily driving, parking, practicality, fitting crap in etc
Rather than a 1/2 hour drive

Hopefully Tesla get test drive cars before you have to decide

Interesting on the Tesla website with the new X there is no mention of Adaptive Suspension
No mention of bio defense mode either, that I could see

Just seen 2021.40 has Active Road Noise Reduction for S & X now

• Love
That's great you got to talk to an owner and drive their car
I was thinking the rental idea might help with a longer test period if Tesla still don't have X & S for test drive
or if you need more time to find out what it's like driving/owning the S & X

It won't really compare as the rental cars are older of course
but it might help to get a feel of the physical size, daily driving, parking, practicality, fitting crap in etc
Rather than a 1/2 hour drive

Hopefully Tesla get test drive cars before you have to decide

Interesting on the Tesla website with the new X there is no mention of Adaptive Suspension
No mention of bio defense mode either, that I could see

Just seen 2021.40 has Active Road Noise Reduction for S & X now
I got my model 3 after 30 minutes test drive... I might have gambling issues 😂

It was helpful but useless, as car battery, interior, computer, driving experience, everything is redesigned...

it's still 1.2-2 years before they start delivering... so lot could happen.... I might decide to keep Cyber Truck instead... or go back to trusted Audi...

in the mean time, enjoying to scare my stupid M3 by forcing to drive in every situation with least assistance from me... once in a while I can see scared people behind me, when phantom breaking happens - otherwise I am pushing limits.... today even manage to impress a cop on motorcycle peeking inside and seeing me driving without driving :cool:

lol
I didn't test drive a M3 what does that make me

9e9.gif
Most likely a Tesla Investor, hoping investment to succeed despite of endless flaws - so you could drive your M3 as conversation starter that how you making money with car 😂 ;) ;) 😂

PS: In my case, I needed that push to move from Audi, still regret at certain level... Elon got his work cut-out to make sure I am buying the next car from him :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Ecoli
Model X comes standard with variable height air suspension plus adaptive shock absorbers. Also comes standard with 5,000 lb towing package including trailer stability control, auto leveling and bio-defense air filtration. The large front windshield is especially welcome when driving through the amazingly beautiful New Zealand countryside.

Setting it apart is much easier entry/exit to both front and rear seating, automated door opening/closing, Christmas dancing and fart noises for entertainment value. It is really an amazing car, especially for longer distance comfort range and quick charging.

Both S & X are built on advanced aluminum chassis for long life and lighter weight. Each has a world class sound system combined (soon) with advanced electronic interior sound suppression for amazing stereo.

Most feel the S is far prettier, but there is a certain gravitas pulling up in a Model X that makes a statement as well.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Audietron and Ecoli
Model X comes standard with variable height air suspension plus adaptive shock absorbers. Also comes standard with 5,000 lb towing package including trailer stability control, auto leveling and bio-defense air filtration. The large front windshield is especially welcome when driving through the amazingly beautiful New Zealand countryside.

Setting it apart is much easier entry/exit to both front and rear seating, automated door opening/closing, Christmas dancing and fart noises for entertainment value. It is really an amazing car, especially for longer distance comfort range and quick charging.

Both S & X are built on advanced aluminum chassis for long life and lighter weight. Each has a world class sound system combined (soon) with advanced electronic interior sound suppression for amazing stereo.

Most feel the S is far prettier, but there is a certain gravitas pulling up in a Model X that makes a statement as well.
Thanks for detailed review sharing... I liked Model S based on limited experience.
I booked in Model S already... making it booking of Model S/X/CyberTruck at this stage...
I might end up with one of the following 4 scenarios:
  1. trade-in my Model 3 with model S/X
  2. I already traded-in model 3 for model s/x, and still buy Cyber Truck.
  3. trade-in my model 3 for Cyber Truck and move on to Audi/Mercedes for car.
  4. Sell my model 3 back to Tesla and move on.
more likely in the order it's specified.... almost another 1.2 years before any of that happens - and yet to have road trips across New Zealand and/or drive on beach and unpaved rural roads. without driving current car for least 10-15K across country I wouldn't make any decision. sort of being fair to Tesla as I was always to Audi before.

Only thing I'd add is that it's almost guaranteed that the Cybertruck will not be here in NZ by the end of 2022. Deliveries won't start in the US until mid to late 2022 and it's still unknown if the Cybertruck will make it out of North America at all. Elon has alluded that the current Cybertruck design is very much a NA focused vehicle with the possibility of a smaller model for other markets in the future.

• Informative
Only thing I'd add is that it's almost guaranteed that the Cybertruck will not be here in NZ by the end of 2022. Deliveries won't start in the US until mid to late 2022 and it's still unknown if the Cybertruck will make it out of North America at all. Elon has alluded that the current Cybertruck design is very much a NA focused vehicle with the possibility of a smaller model for other markets in the future.
Tentative delivery date is early 2023 for my cyber-truck booking. but as you correctly point-out, they only allow me to book engine/motor type - rest will be available once cyber-truck goes into production or near to production...