Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Plaid, question about range!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

I'm comparing the long range to the Plaid version of the Model X.

While I understand the Plaid version is meant to be the beast that does 1/4mile in 9.9 sec... i'm checking the range, as I have to do long distances once in a while (highway).

Any idea why the Plaid has a bit less range than the LR? probably because of the extra weight?

If the accelerator is set to normal instead of plaid/insane do you think you could achieve more?

I know the refreshed version just got released but i'd like to hear your feedback about the actual range versus advertised numbers.

I ordered a LR but I'm considering upgrading to Plaid. The shorter range is mildly annoying. I know its only about 15 miles less, on paper....

The shorter range is mildly annoying. I know its only about 15 miles less, on paper....

15 miles of rated range difference is going to be like 1/2 that in regular usage, and the question you have to ask yourself is, is there ANY CIRCUMSTANCE AT ALL in which having 7 additional miles of range is going to make any difference at all in your driving experience. Its not going to enable you to get to another supercharger stop, for example.

Its not going to change your driving experience / charging experience in the slightest, in just about any circumstance other than you trying to hypermile somewhere.

• Informative
Reactions: Tezlowski
Hi all!

I'm comparing the long range to the Plaid version of the Model X.

While I understand the Plaid version is meant to be the beast that does 1/4mile in 9.9 sec... i'm checking the range, as I have to do long distances once in a while (highway).

Any idea why the Plaid has a bit less range than the LR? probably because of the extra weight?

If the accelerator is set to normal instead of plaid/insane do you think you could achieve more?

I know the refreshed version just got released but i'd like to hear your feedback about the actual range versus advertised numbers.

I ordered a LR but I'm considering upgrading to Plaid. The shorter range is mildly annoying. I know its only about 15 miles less, on paper....
Same wheels? 15 miles is a good trade off for 3 motors instead of two.

Not that I would buy either at current pricing.

I too opted for the MXP because of quicker delivery. From the time I made my reservation until I took delivery was 3 weeks (August 2022). I have read some things which indicated that having 3 motors also helps with driving in snow due to the way the torque vectoring is configured. Anyone heard this?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Another way to look at it. Do you need to 1.3 seconds faster 0-60 mph? Coming from a guy that has a Model S Plaid.
Maybe not 0-60 but the 60-130 passing power is where the plaid is mind blowing. Also you pay a premium for the plaid badge just to ward off any noisy super cars thinking they’re cool. Doesn’t matter what pulls up, they see the plaid badge and instantly know they’ll get embarrassed if they try. Hard to put a price on an ego slap from a family 3 row suv.

Maybe not 0-60 but the 60-130 passing power is where the plaid is mind blowing. Also you pay a premium for the plaid badge just to ward off any noisy super cars thinking they’re cool. Doesn’t matter what pulls up, they see the plaid badge and instantly know they’ll get embarrassed if they try. Hard to put a price on an ego slap from a family 3 row suv.
I’d debadge or downbadge it and embarrass them anyway.

whenever I see a plaid badge, it's usually followed by red tesla accents, tesla license plate frame, tesla valvestems, tesla floormats, did you know, I have a tesla?

15 miles of rated range difference is going to be like 1/2 that in regular usage, and the question you have to ask yourself is, is there ANY CIRCUMSTANCE AT ALL in which having 7 additional miles of range is going to make any difference at all in your driving experience. Its not going to enable you to get to another supercharger stop, for example.

Its not going to change your driving experience / charging experience in the slightest, in just about any circumstance other than you trying to hypermile somewhere.
+1, I opted for the speed and other upgraded features... The milage difference didn't seem like much to me in comparison plus your foot on the pedal determines quite a bit of that too, lol.

HOWEVER... if you like the speed and having the fastest SUV in the world, then the Plaid should be a ton of fun for ya... but as always, YMMV ;-)

Same wheels? 15 miles is a good trade off for 3 motors instead of two.

Not that I would buy either at current pricing.

I think the range is kind of peanuts at the end of the day. Range has already improved considerably over time. 15 miles, like others have said is probably closer to half. And, within the first year expect degradation to chip away at more than that

What's even more interested is that ICE milage varies depending on pretty much the same factors but since it's been commonplace forever now, nobody pays much attention to it. Yet, the war on EVs seems to get all the attention because it's foreign to most. Once you drive an EV for a while, you will likely change from battery milage to battery percentage... Even when I had an ICE, the 'milage' estimate was never accurate. I would fill up my Audi and it would say 450+ miles and I don't think it ever broke 330... so... All-in-all, my XP has been great on road trips using superchargers and don't think 7-15 miles should make any difference in a decision... the financial component is likely a bigger deciding factor if you WANT the speed (although some of us would argue that we NEED the speed! HA).

My Tundra gets 9mpg pulling my 26' enclosed car hauler at 70mph. It gets 18 at 70 with no trailer.

It takes 10 extra minutes to do the same 400 mile drive pulling a trailer, because I have to stop for fuel once.

That's why it gets so much attention. You can completely ruin your car's fuel economy and it doesn't cost you anything but a little money and maybe an extra half hour if you do a multi-interstate trip. You chop your EV's efficiency in half, and time in transit can double

Reactions: ElectricIAC
My Tundra gets 9mpg pulling my 26' enclosed car hauler at 70mph. It gets 18 at 70 with no trailer.

It takes 10 extra minutes to do the same 400 mile drive pulling a trailer, because I have to stop for fuel once.

That's why it gets so much attention. You can completely ruin your car's fuel economy and it doesn't cost you anything but a little money and maybe an extra half hour if you do a multi-interstate trip. You chop your EV's efficiency in half, and time in transit can double

Speaking of trailers, can you imagine having to unhook every time you have to charge?

Reactions: Richbot and Xeux
I think the range is kind of peanuts at the end of the day. Range has already improved considerably over time. 15 miles, like others have said is probably closer to half. And, within the first year expect degradation to chip away at more than that
At the end of the day if they’re the same price then I will always go for the performance with the smallest and lightest wheels that are available.