Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Plaid - Rear left motor disabled - Vehicle shutting down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a very similar issue - I was doing 65 on the NJ turnpike and the car hesitated for a split second, then the dash showed the dreaded PULL OVER SAFELY - Vehicle Shutting Down warning. At the bottom, it said "Power Reduced - OK to Drive. Front motor temporarily disabled".

It was NOT Ok to drive. I pulled over, and the vehicle would not start. While on with support we went through all of the recommended reboots (both knobs down, using the shutdown button on the menu, getting out for a few minutes, etc.) with no luck.

I had it towed on Thursday I may get it back next week. They said some major electrical component (not the motor).

I'm asking them to replace all 3 of these bad components. I know, "good luck" - but I've read enough threads to believe that this is a systemic failure and I'm not going to wait around for the other 2 motors to have related failures.

Note these error codes (typing out here so google can index them: Dl_a138 and Dl_a063
View attachment 771235View attachment 771236
Did you have anything happen before you got this message that there might be something wrong? Abnormal noise or anything like that? My MXP has 773 miles currently.

Did you have anything happen before you got this message that there might be something wrong? Abnormal noise or anything like that? My MXP has 773 miles currently.
No - nothing gave me any warning. It ran fine for about 2 months. I have an update on the experience with the service. I had it flat-bedded to the Tesla dealer. The next day they called to tell me that they ordered a new front motor. It arrived 5 days later. They told me it was one of the largest jobs to do on the car. I asked what it would cost to do if it were out of warranty: $4000 and 6 hours of labor (at around $200/hr).

Well, it turns out the tech had to work on it for 3 days. I am guessing this was the first time that they did this kind of repair. They said it took an entire day of calibration after it was installed, and when they were going over it a few bolts were missed and they had to pull the battery out again to shore things up.
It's been a few days, and now I have a mild vibration shaking the entire car for the first few minutes while it drives, then it seems to go away. I am not a happy camper right now.

I'm taking it back in for service (they are a few weeks backed up) and frankly a bit afraid to drive it now, if something is vibrating, what could go wrong at 75mph?

Wtf this is worrying me. I barely have 400 miles on my plaid and supposed to take a trip in a few days. Now this has me worried. How many miles are on your car when this happened?
About the same - around 400 miles. I wrote my service experience on this other thread (it took them about 3 days of labor to fix it)

I’m sitting on the side of the road with my model s with the same issue.
BDC6AB90-6E05-4755-A92F-22E3E21846ED.jpeg

First time poster. My 2022 Model X Plaid was parked at the restaurant parking lot Sat night (y'day). When trying to go home, I pressed the brake pedal and got this "Rear left motor disabled - OK to drive" message on the dashboard. Also a big "PULL OVER SAFELY, Vehicle shutting down" message. Car couldn't be put in D or R.

I got it towed to the SC in Santa Clara y'day night after a brief chat with Tesla roadside assistance. Tow truck came in 15min or so. Ubered home.

Very frustrating. Can't imagine if I was actually driving it on the highway what would have happened. I barely had a chance to enjoy this amazing car yet. 298 miles. Delivery was last Friday, 1/28. SC is closed today so I couldn't get a loaner yet.

My hope is that they fix it quickly but I'm afraid with three motors total, this could happen to the others too. Anyone had this experience with the new Plaid?

View attachment 765599
I had this happen to me on my 2021 model s long range. car had 4500 miles on it. full rear motor replacement. amazing result for a car that costs over $100K.

I had a very similar issue - I was doing 65 on the NJ turnpike and the car hesitated for a split second, then the dash showed the dreaded PULL OVER SAFELY - Vehicle Shutting Down warning. At the bottom, it said "Power Reduced - OK to Drive. Front motor temporarily disabled".

It was NOT Ok to drive. I pulled over, and the vehicle would not start. While on with support we went through all of the recommended reboots (both knobs down, using the shutdown button on the menu, getting out for a few minutes, etc.) with no luck.

I had it towed on Thursday I may get it back next week. They said some major electrical component (not the motor).

I'm asking them to replace all 3 of these bad components. I know, "good luck" - but I've read enough threads to believe that this is a systemic failure and I'm not going to wait around for the other 2 motors to have related failures.

Note these error codes (typing out here so google can index them: Dl_a138 and Dl_a063
View attachment 771235View attachment 771236
This just happened to me. 2022 X Plaid, 1200 miles. They want to replace the 'front unit- because that's what failed. I'm worried about the other two! Did you get them to replace all three on yours?

This just happened to me. 2022 X Plaid, 1200 miles. They want to replace the 'front unit- because that's what failed. I'm worried about the other two! Did you get them to replace all three on yours?
Thanks for sharing and sorry to hear this.

May I know which build month was your X Plaid? Does this occur for many Plaid (S and X)? Thanks

Damn...
It happened to me today, luckily on my driveway. Flatbed to the service center.
It's model x plaid, about 3k miles, 4 months of owning.
Hmm...Dont know if I should keep the car. What if it happened on the freeway out-of nowhere??

My 2022 MXP died on Jul 6th. Same issue. Motor disabled, red scary screen stating pull over safely, powered down and may not restart. Well it definitely didn't restart. Got out and couldn't get back in the car. Luckily this happened while in the parking deck at my office and not on the hwy or a crowded downtown street during rush hour. In a 7 foot clearance parking deck. Waited 3 hours for a tow to SC, now waiting on update from SC. Car has less than 4K miles. I am also worried about this happening on the road w/ my family, they would be pissed and that would be BIG problem. I feel like I can't trust the car for road trips now. Who's to say it doesn't happen again to another motor. This is my 2nd X (first was 2016 X), I love the car but I'm wondering if I should sell the car and go back to a gas family car (ugh) :confused:

Damn...
It happened to me today, luckily on my driveway. Flatbed to the service center.
It's model x plaid, about 3k miles, 4 months of owning.
Hmm...Dont know if I should keep the car. What if it happened on the freeway out-of nowhere??
sorry to hear this. Which build month was your Plaid X? What did the service center find? Hope it gets resolved soon.

My 2022 MXP died on Jul 6th. Same issue. Motor disabled, red scary screen stating pull over safely, powered down and may not restart. Well it definitely didn't restart. Got out and couldn't get back in the car. Luckily this happened while in the parking deck at my office and not on the hwy or a crowded downtown street during rush hour. In a 7 foot clearance parking deck. Waited 3 hours for a tow to SC, now waiting on update from SC. Car has less than 4K miles. I am also worried about this happening on the road w/ my family, they would be pissed and that would be BIG problem. I feel like I can't trust the car for road trips now. Who's to say it doesn't happen again to another motor. This is my 2nd X (first was 2016 X), I love the car but I'm wondering if I should sell the car and go back to a gas family car (ugh) :confused:
hmm...sorry to hear this. Which build month was your Plaid X? Hope it gets resolved soon.

It’s 01/22. They said rear motor inverter part was ordered. Car is supposed to be “ready next week.” I looked up Tesla motor inverter on eBay and it looks like a circuit board. Not sure why but I was picturing a giant electric motor armature.
Thanks for sharing. Hope you get it resolved and fix soon. I was also under the impression that it’s indeed a larger part.

This just happened to me also. Have had the car since early February, had a slight jerk and thumping and stopped in the middle of the road at night (busy road too, pretty scary). Couldn’t drive it at all. Reset with both scroll wheels at least 5X, then it allowed me to go about 50 feet and stopped next to the curb with another thump. Model X Plaid with 8200 miles on it. It’s at the service center in Santa Clara since Tuesday. They were helpful in getting me a loaner and so forth, but it’s really concerning that others have gone through this and will it happen again?

Attachments

• 4E91C970-1431-4797-AC5C-96D5E7817C71.jpeg
    4E91C970-1431-4797-AC5C-96D5E7817C71.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 60