Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Plaid - Rear left motor disabled - Vehicle shutting down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just happened to me also. Have had the car since early February, had a slight jerk and thumping and stopped in the middle of the road at night (busy road too, pretty scary). Couldn’t drive it at all. Reset with both scroll wheels at least 5X, then it allowed me to go about 50 feet and stopped next to the curb with another thump. Model X Plaid with 8200 miles on it. It’s at the service center in Santa Clara since Tuesday. They were helpful in getting me a loaner and so forth, but it’s really concerning that others have gone through this and will it happen again?
Just a quick update - They told me it was the inverter that needs to be replaced. I’ll have the car in a couple of days.

Reactions: BonB
My 2021 Model S plaid shut down on me ont he Hiway towed to the shop at Knoxville Tennesee and the bad part is I am 760 miles away from home, they said that the left rea Inverter is defective wow Tesla

If you search further, you'll see here on TMC that this has been happening to Model S Plaid owners as well. I'm happy that I got in 6700 miles before my 2022 Plaid S bricked roughly 1/4 way out of my driveway and I was blessed with a new LH Rear Inverter (and some minor accompanying items) all done within 48 hours after being towed. Repaired at Coral Gables, Florida SC.

This happened to our 2022 MXLR today. About 4k miles. Fortunately we were in a parking lot and I was able to drive at 1mph to a safer spot waiting for the tow truck that came an hour later.

With these kinds of issues, I’m not sure how I can be comfortable taking the Tesla to road trip.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Same thing just happened to me (April 2, 2023, approx. 3pm) in the middle of a busy intersection in Soho in Manhattan.

2022 refreshed Model X Plaid with 4,000 miles.

As I was turning left from West Broadway onto Grand street, a pulsing sound from the left rear quadrant of the car (like the sound of ABS kicking in), which lasted only about 2 seconds, then the same contradictory messages on the dash as previously reported, but the car did not drive more than 7 meters before shutting down completely. Nothing could get it started again and a few minutes after we got out of the car to direct traffic and pedestrians around the car, the doors locked and we could not regain entry no matter what we tried. Took an hour for the flatbed to arrive and when the car was being pulled onto the flatbed, the rear wheels were completely locked and had to be dragged across the pavement.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

This is my third Tesla. I am a die-hard fan - or at least I was. I don't understand how having 3 motors on the car, doesn't provide back-up instead of increased risk. I don't understand how we could not regain access to the interior. To say nothing of the cost of the car.

Tesla, PLEASE address this issue.

Unfortunately, I had a similar experience on April 14th with 2022 X plaid. I was driving with my wife on 101 North at 70 mph. Suddenly, I got the same message of the vehicle shutting down. I was in the left carpool lane. The car lost all momentum and shut down within 10 seconds. I tried getting to the shoulder on the right but could change only one lane. It was peak traffic time (6 PM) and a sheer miracle that we were not hit by any car or truck from behind. It was very very scary to be in this situation. Called 911 and Tesla roadside assistance. Tesla roadside assistance was of no help other than scheduling a towing service. Two trucks of the high patrol came in first and towed our car to the next exit. The tow truck scheduled by Tesla came in after 45 mins but did not know how to tow a car that had no power. Another truck was called that lifted our car and dropped it at a Tesla maintenance shop. I have not received any call back from them as they are closed for the weekend. I am not sure how we will regain the confidence to drive this car again on any freeway. Tesla should recall all Model X Plaids.

• Informative
Reactions: maytaurustiger
Unfortunately, I had a similar experience on April 14th with 2022 X plaid. I was driving with my wife on 101 North at 70 mph. Suddenly, I got the same message of the vehicle shutting down. I was in the left carpool lane. The car lost all momentum and shut down within 10 seconds. I tried getting to the shoulder on the right but could change only one lane. It was peak traffic time (6 PM) and a sheer miracle that we were not hit by any car or truck from behind. It was very very scary to be in this situation. Called 911 and Tesla roadside assistance. Tesla roadside assistance was of no help other than scheduling a towing service. Two trucks of the high patrol came in first and towed our car to the next exit. The tow truck scheduled by Tesla came in after 45 mins but did not know how to tow a car that had no power. Another truck was called that lifted our car and dropped it at a Tesla maintenance shop. I have not received any call back from them as they are closed for the weekend. I am not sure how we will regain the confidence to drive this car again on any freeway. Tesla should recall all Model X Plaids.
Sorry to hear that you had this experience with your X Plaid. How many miles does your Model X have? Hope you get things sorted it out soon by the Service Center.

No explanation yet on why I couldn't limp. I will try to get better answers when I pick up the car this Friday.
My vehicle has 3300 miles and this has happened the me twice in the last month and both times on the highway. Here’s how to get home in Limp mode. Pull over and put the vehicle in P, unbuckle seatbelt and lift off seat and open door or just exit the vehicle. I didn’t exit because I was in the freeway. Close the door, buckle up and car goes into drive. My vehicle was towed from my residence both times.

Has everyone here filed an NHTSA safety complaint?
Exactly. Everyone here who had unexpected propulsion loss while on the open road not due to user error and felt it was a safety issue (e.g. increases chance of accident, property damage or injury vs. if it never happened) should be filing a safety complaint w/NHTSA at safercar.gov | NHTSA. Better to do it after an attempt has been made to repair the vehicle so that you at least know what they fixed/the cause.

Before someone decides to discourage people from reporting, as I've pointed out, recalls do not need to involve a large population of defective or potentially defective vehicles. Tesla 3: Second drive unit failure in under a year has some examples of recalls affecting small numbers of units, including a recent case where Tesla recalled nine '21 to '22 Model S for side airbag issues.

Last edited:
Takata airbag failure wasn't random but the drive unit/inverter limp mode issue would have been resolved through software if it was a common problem. Quality control of electrical components is governed by cost and manpower.

But that happens any time a defect could cause injury or loss of life even if it means recalling every vehicle. Hint.....Takata.
My plaid is currently in the shop for the second time due to this drive unit issue. Both times this happened on the freeway with loss of power forcing me to change several lanes and pull to the shoulder. Never felt unsafe, out of control. The car had more than enough speed to coast off. I had 5 people in the vehicle the first time and myself and my fiancé the second. No one ever felt unsafe. Very annoying and inconvenient but not unsafe.