Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Plaid Third Row Climate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3rd row vents work ok on my model x plaid. I have 3 kids so I always have they siting in the 3rd row every day. The 3rd row shares the ac and fan speed with the second row. They do get less air flow compared to the second row but they do work. I would say they get about 50% the amount of air compared to the 2nd row. With the fan speed under 7 for the rear you don’t get much air out of the 3rd row vents with with fan speeds of 8-10 they do work ok.

My SC said the joints leaked air badly. They disassembled the entire interior to tape up the all duct joints. Even Elon pisses them off. The service manual had the vents located in the old X spots, whereas the 2021+ refresh has the ducts in a different location. That's why they needed to disassemble the entire interior to ensure all joints were sealed.
Anyone not getting this fixed needs to call out their SC. I had this fixed at my SC (see my quoted post) soon after delivery. It took them a while, but the tech and my SA got to know the inner workings of the new X very well. It's definitely a different layout from the Raven models.

Reactions: MikeKFE
Has anyone else been able to get this fixed? My service advisor just said it’s normal and nothing they can do. Almost no air out of one side and 15% of normal out of the other in the third row.
I would estimate that I have under 20% when stationary but close to 40% at highway speeds. Seems problem is caused from poorly connected vents and according to Tesla Service it would require a substantial tear down of the interior to reconnect and wrap the vents to stop air leaks. So given that I have a tight interior with no squeaks and I only use 3rd row occasionally, I decided to live with it.

Also I figured that the air leaks are probably in the 3rd row area anyway. /s

Just picked up my 2023 MXP last week. Yesterday my daughter was sitting in the third row and noticed that there was basically nothing coming out of the driver side back vent with rear A/C on full. I already had a service appt coming up, so I guess I'll add this to the ticket.
Understood.

Found on mine I had to make sure the 3rd row vents were open (if they're angled all the way down it blocks *all* air); not saying it was substantial air but there was some air.

Might want to double check and play with vent positioning.

They removed the vent on the B pillar.. And made the 3. Row vent useless. Nice upgrade :)
Ant the terrible noice the fan in the dashboard makes when someone sitting in the 2. Row. The older cars was not like this. And had their own heater etc. I feel like I bought a Chinese model X or something

This is really concerning having just ordered a MXP. A big factor in my decision to switch from MS to MX was the third row and comfort for my 3 kids for moderately long drives. I'm sure they won't be happy if that third row vent doesn't work. Sounds like some SCs will address it and others tell you to pound sand. Knowing my local SC (Owings Mills) as one of the worst, I'm guessing I'll be in the latter group. Any additional tips to get them to fix this issue?

Reactions: jiehan
Any additional tips to get them to fix this issue?
3rd row vents are weak at best.

While this is not a 'fix', I've been please with these: Windshield Sun Shades, Car Window Shades and Car Window Covers by HeatShield: The Original Windshield Sun Shade

It does not improve the AC airflow, but it does reduce the thermal load going into the car.

More details here: