Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Plaid Tow package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very close to ordering a Model X Plaid but it needs to be able to tow.
I was under the impression that tow hitch receiver is standard on all Model X. However, I watched this video and the guy in the video said that his Model X Plaid does NOT have a tow hitch. (at 2:30 in the video)

I don't see one available in the Tesla store, so I think that the guy may be wrong? Anyone with a Model X Plaid that can confirm that the tow hitch receiver is included?

I was under the impression that tow hitch receiver is standard on all Model X. However, I watched this video and the guy in the video said that his Model X Plaid does NOT have a tow hitch. (at 2:30 in the video)

I don't see one available in the Tesla store, so I think that the guy may be wrong? Anyone with a Model X Plaid that can confirm that the tow hitch receiver is included?
I thought all MX’s came standard with the hitch. It’s a bosal hitch though and maybe the owner doesn’t know what it looks like/where it is located.

Reactions: dmurphy
I thought all MX’s came standard with the hitch. It’s a bosal hitch though and maybe the owner doesn’t know what it looks like/where it is located.

I have one with my plaid.

Reactions: FloridaSun

Bingo. Since the hitch receiver detaches, it's easy to look under the car and say "nope, no hitch!"

So, @FloridaSun - can I ask *what* you plan to tow? The factory Bosal hitch is rated to 5,000lbs, but in practicality has some limits that affect what you should tow. Many of us have replaced the hitch with a Draw-Tite brand one to work around those limitations. The biggest one, for me, was that the hitch ball isn't supposed to be more than .75" higher than the receiver itself. That means less than a 1" rise, which would cause my camper to be very, very unlevel. Was basically unworkable if I were to stay within the posted limits of the Bosal.

Bingo. Since the hitch receiver detaches, it's easy to look under the car and say "nope, no hitch!"

So, @FloridaSun - can I ask *what* you plan to tow? The factory Bosal hitch is rated to 5,000lbs, but in practicality has some limits that affect what you should tow. Many of us have replaced the hitch with a Draw-Tite brand one to work around those limitations. The biggest one, for me, was that the hitch ball isn't supposed to be more than .75" higher than the receiver itself. That means less than a 1" rise, which would cause my camper to be very, very unlevel. Was basically unworkable if I were to stay within the posted limits of the Bosal.
I have a little trailer with 8 x 5' bed. Weighs 500 lbs and 1500 lbs payload, so 2000 lbs max weight.. Tows just fine with my Model Y LR AWD.. I do have the factory tow package on the Model Y.
20220217_163553.jpg

Just took delivery of our X Plaid and in the trunk came a tow receiver. No instructions on how to install it but came with a set of keys that need to be used and white cover for key access. It's a spring loaded knob to twist with the key to install. Amazon for a aluminum 1" rise/ 2" drop tow bar.. 2" chrome ball and 5/8" pin lock. The tow bar is short 9 7/8" long.

Reactions: FloridaSun