Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X plastic parts resonate with bass...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which trim? I still have not identified where the sound is coming from....
Tap the forward trim strips that cover the leading edge of the FWD's. You will probably find that they rattle a lot. Some of it goes away when they are closed because it compresses, but not all. The buttons that Tesla uses just don't secure it very well either. I am going to go on the prowl at my local automotive store for some more flexible buttons that should help snug those strips up closer to the door.

CA907B07-35E7-4BFF-A626-7B66BF5DC53C.jpeg

This area has been noisy for me

My car rattles and squeaks in a lot of places mostly front a pillars, rear liftgate, joints of falcon wing doors. Going to get an audio upgrade soon and will do full sound deadening, felt applied to any problem areas, any cables that potentially rattle will be wrapped in felt tape,etc

With the tailgate it appears to be the plastic trim on the actual tailgate but not removed it yet still on my list....
Rats. Hoping you would have done the debugging for me. :D

Last night we had 6 people in the car and the 3rd row passengers definitely heard the noise from the tailgate. My wife even pressed the plastic covering and it seemed to stop. So it sounds like it's just not attached tightly. The SC gave me some additional clips I can try to swap out if the original ones are broken but I have not taken the cover off yet.

My service advisor said that the rectangular plastic piece on the liftgate above the latch has been a source of rattles for people. I taped mine in place.
Do you mean the emergency handle release cover or the entire bottom cover of the lift gate?

BTW they also thought the emergency release could rattle but that does not seem to be my problem.

The whole plastic piece seems to rattle just tap it when it’s open and you can hear the plastic touching.

I’m sure it wouldn’t have cost that much for Tesla to have all parts covered in felt around the touch points god is happily pay a little extra for that if it saved me playing hit the noise.

I also found in my FWD that screws where missing on both sides in the same place so I suspect they made a “cost” decision but again this is a loose piece that could make noise.

I’m going through a lot of felt tape, silicon and white lithium grease spray :)