Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X postponed indefinitely?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are so many 100K cars these days you need to get into quarter mil territory to get some sort of experience if that is what you are after.
My X and wifes GLS550 both over 120K, other than the mortgage payment they cost, my experiences weren't much different than back with my 20K SRT4 in 2005.
The best and worst experience ever for me was when purchasing my F350 when the new diesels came out in 2011. One dealership completely insulted me for saying I was looking at a 3500HD Denail Dually at the same time as my F350 KR Dually, so I walked out on him and went to a different dealership and they took $13k off sticker immediately. I went there, the staff was some of the best I ever dealt with and we've purchased 3 Mercedes, 1 of them an AMG GT Roadster. That particular Ford dealer has been the best experience in purchasing any vehicle since my first car I paid $500 cash for in the 90s.

I just know from my experience, if you go in any place, be it a gas station, a restaurant, doctors office flea market, wherever. If you have a high expectation of any experience walking in, more than likely you WILL be let down.

Ordered LR X early Feb. Got a delivery date available as early as this past Tuesday. I had scheduled delivery for today but got called and said it wouldn’t be ready until tomorrow. So I rescheduled for Sat am. Just got a txt saying I’ve been “tentatively” rescheduled to Sunday. Called the Costa Mesa center and I’ve been waiting for a call back.

Honestly this is not okay. I picked up my model 3 after 8 weeks of patiently waiting w zero updates but had no delivery issues. In and out in 10 mins. It was convenient but an underwhelming buying experience. Buying a 100k car should be an experience. It’s just an disappointing experience so far.

I literally just got off the phone w Costa Mesa. They said they can’t release the cars until approval by the EPA for the long range plus? I don’t even know if that’s legit or not but still Tesla need to work on this.

What spec did you order finding it very hit and miss at the moment with Tesla, ordered mine in Jan and nothing at all.

There are so many 100K cars these days you need to get into quarter mil territory to get some sort of experience if that is what you are after.
My X and wifes GLS550 both over 120K, other than the mortgage payment they cost, my experiences weren't much different than back with my 20K SRT4 in 2005.
The best and worst experience ever for me was when purchasing my F350 when the new diesels came out in 2011. One dealership completely insulted me for saying I was looking at a 3500HD Denail Dually at the same time as my F350 KR Dually, so I walked out on him and went to a different dealership and they took $13k off sticker immediately. I went there, the staff was some of the best I ever dealt with and we've purchased 3 Mercedes, 1 of them an AMG GT Roadster. That particular Ford dealer has been the best experience in purchasing any vehicle since my first car I paid $500 cash for in the 90s.

I just know from my experience, if you go in any place, be it a gas station, a restaurant, doctors office flea market, wherever. If you have a high expectation of any experience walking in, more than likely you WILL be let down.

What spec did you order finding it very hit and miss at the moment with Tesla, ordered mine in Jan and nothing at all.

It was long range. 7 seats. Full FSD. 22” wheels. Just got a text from tesla. The delivery date is pushed back for the FIFTH time. Pushed back twice by a text message and three times with a person calling me. The three times them assuring me it would be ready by the next day. Two weeks now of this. How is this ok? Has anyone taken delivery of a long range plus X?

Hey, I did post this in the UK and Ireland but wanted to post in here as I thought it may be seen by more people in a similar situation.

Placed my order for the following spec in January:

Model X Performance
Ludicrous Mode
Pearl White Multi-Coat
22" Onyx Black Wheels
All Black Premium Interior with Carbon Fiber Décor
Six Seat Interior
Autopilot
Full Self-Driving Capability
Free Unlimited Supercharging

was expected for March delivery originally, in April was told a June delivery date, in June I was told to expect a vin number on July 15th, on July 15th was told to expect delivery in mid September. (I’m not hopeful that my car will be with me in September, still no vin number?) lol. I was tempted to compromise and opt for an existing inventory option, however I don’t want to loose the Free Unlimited Supercharging that I secured.

Understandable that A delay would happen considering covid, but their communication with me about my order has been shocking. I also have a Porsche Taycann that I ordered at a similar time and they have been so good at communicating the state of my order at all stages, it arrived last week . Any advice on getting real information from Tesla over the phone? Lol, doesn’t make me optimistic about their communication about servicing once I have the car. So disappointed

I order mine on July 22nd. I just got a notification via text today that said the following:

"Tesla Update - We currently expect your Model X to be ready for delivery 3 - 6 weeks from today. We'll continue to provide updates as your estimated timing gets closer.

Please note that this timeframe is an estimate and may shift in either direction.

This is an automated message. For more information or to chat with us, please visit tesla.com/deliveryday"

If my delivery doesn't happen before the end of September, I'm canceling my order.

I order mine on July 22nd. I just got a notification via text today that said the following:

If my delivery doesn't happen before the end of September, I'm canceling my order.

I don't know, that might be the very reason to keep the order! There may be a big update to the battery before then. Battery day is scheduled to be towards the end of September after all.

Reactions: 5JMJ

"Tesla Update - We currently expect your Model X to be ready for delivery 3 - 6 weeks from today. We'll continue to provide updates as your estimated timing gets closer.

Please note that this timeframe is an estimate and may shift in either direction.

This is an automated message. For more information or to chat with us, please visit tesla.com/deliveryday"

I received the same message yesterday.
I ordered on 8/3.

Pretty standard.

The things to remember are:
  • There is one factory that builds the X and it is located In Fremont, California.
  • Tesla wants to sell as many cars as it can
This results in Tesla shipping most of the cars that have to go the furthest to their buyers early in the quarter. And often shipping to the people that are closest to the factory later in the quarter. One of the production guys from the factory told us this at an owner's orientation at the Fremont delivery center. And it was true. We live 15 miles from the factory and both of our cars were delivered within 5 days of the end of the quarter.