Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Premium Upgrade Price Decrease — What it means for existing orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can add it (unless it's too late) but it will cost you $6,000 plus a $500 change fee. They will not honor the lower price for you.[/QUOTE
I think typically, Walmart and other retailers do typically allow you to pay the lower of the 2 prices, I know for sure that Walmart does. They may not automatically discount, but they will upon request. Hell, if you order online and pick up at Lowes, and the price is lower, they give you an extra 10% of the difference to make sure you're "always getting the best price" (you do have to request the price match, but when you do, its 110% of the difference they take off your bill).

Well, no. If they don't get PUP when they ordered without it, thats fair. If Tesla runs out of the non-PUP parts and decides to just upgrade them for free, they're lucky and get the best deal (and there is the possibility someone literally does not want the PUP even if it was free)

Its not being a hypocrite, its good customer service. The only places that don't really typically do this are other dealerships, house sales (since every one is literally different and property values change sometimes just being a few lots over, so that one kind of makes sense), and places where there is no customer service at all, like eBay auctions (even most of eBay's new, unopened items will price match competitors with 110% of the difference).

Obviously the cut off point is a point of contention that varies between stores (some do it for the entire return period, like Best Buy, some do it until its received by you, some only give you 48 hours after ordering, etc)

Unlikely they will just throw it in for free (if they do then they would get a loyal future customer & will be good PR!), but at least Tesla should honor the new lower price (would have to pay $500 for order change anyway).

Unfortunately, car shipping is nowhere near that evolved. There's no real way for any of the manufacturers to track their shipments. The car shipping industry is very low margin and it's amazing to me that cars get there in as good of condition as they do.

I'm surprised about this. Tesla has done price book adjustments in the past. I can understand why they would not - they are not obligated to, no seller of cars with a signed MVPA is - but they could still do something. Perhaps the cash crunch is really bad.

You can track your car if it’s put on a ship and sent overseas. You can even watch where the ship is out to sea.

I bought a mini around 2010 and the forums have it down to a science to know where your exact car is on a boat. So much so some folks would watch their ship out at sea and when it went through the canal to get to California, they would watch the ship on live cams navigating the canal.

What’s my point? If they can track your car on a big ass boat full of cars across the ocean, why can’t they on a train or car carrier?

Because the car carrier stuff is often subbed out to individual truck owners. Shipping at sea tends to be a handful of big companies that you can interact with to do fleet tracking.

Rail is probably a bit different, but I wouldn't count on it having tracking exposed. Some rail data systems are absurdly manual.

Reactions: SpudLime
My order is confirmed since July 22. My car is not yet in production. I specifically asked not to have the car before end of October but as I'm in Europe don't know if the SC will slow down the production or not.
I'll let you posted.

Two posters in the Netherlands mentioned that while Tesla refused to honour the new (lower) price, what Tesla did allow them to do is to switch the order from their new car to an 'inventory car' that's identically configured but priced according to the new rules. And here is the kicker : that inventory car is actually on the same boat that is bringing in their custom ordered car. One poster saved 5k on a 124k order. Never hurt to ask Tesla France about this option.

I emailed my Owner Advisor and got this reply which I hope holds true:

"Great to hear from you. Hope all has been well.

They did make the premium package a standard option on all Model X and Model S orders, and all undelivered cars with the premium package will receive this price change. Therefore, yes that will be deducted from your order before delivery. (They are currently in the process of updating all current orders. That is why it is not yet reflected on your account)

Hope this provides some clarity. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!"

Reactions: spectrum and pers1

They did make the premium package a standard option on all Model X and Model S orders, and all undelivered cars with the premium package will receive this price change. Therefore, yes that will be deducted from your order before delivery. (They are currently in the process of updating all current orders. That is why it is not yet reflected on your account)

Hope this provides some clarity. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!"
That’s the opposite of what the rest of us were told, but fingers crossed I suppose.

Hi
When did you ordere your Model X

all the best

PerS
Norway

Really? This is big news if your owner advisor isn’t misinformed.

I am in the same position as most of the folks here. My X100D order placed in June 2018 in Southern California. Found out about the new pricing today. My sale rep stated that Tesla cannot adjust the $2500 reduction. He claimed that cars with the new $2500 reduction will only get free premium internet connection for 1 year and it will be $100/year after that. I told him that the $2500 saving would account for 25 years of internet and no one would keep their car that long. He agreed but again could not adjust the price. If the car is cancelled after 3 days, you lose the $2500 deposit. Of note, the interest I was able to locked in June is 2.49% for 20% down and 72 month financing. The most current rate in US with similar term is 2.7%. Kinda annoyed since my car is not even built yet.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I am in the same position as most of the folks here. My X100D order placed in June 2018 in Southern California. Found out about the new pricing today. My sale rep stated that Tesla cannot adjust the $2500 reduction. He claimed that cars with the new $2500 reduction will only get free premium internet connection for 1 year and it will be $100/year after that. I told him that the $2500 saving would account for 25 years of internet and no one would keep their car that long. He agreed but again could not adjust the price. If the car is cancelled after 3 days, you lose the $2500 deposit. Of note, the interest I was able to locked in June is 2.49% for 20% down and 72 month financing. The most current rate in US with similar term is 2.7%. Kinda annoyed since my car is not even built yet.

Yup, they won't do it. I got this from multiple people at Tesla. It's likely that the particular Tesla employee is in fact misinformed. It sucks, but nothing much we can do about it other than a hail Mary pass by collectively tweeting Elon about it & see what happens, that's about it!

Did you happen to place your order mid-June or late-June?

Ordered a MX w/ PUP on 7/17, it was confirmed on the day of the price drop. I reached out to the OA and he said that the only way to receive the new pricing was to order a new one which would push my delivery out further. We ordered another MX w/ PUP on 7/19 (different OA). The second OA contradicted the first OA informing me that both MX's will get the discounted price for the PUP at delivery.