Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X price drop and other goodies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a new custom configuration X 100D 10 days ago. I am not at all upset that I just missed out on the price drop. As a TSLA investor, I applaud Tesla for reducing prices as they achieve greater manufacturing efficiencies. I am sure they are still maintaining their margins

That's the one thing about Tesla and their frequent updates (and pricing changes). With traditional manufacturers, you can be fairly certain when a possible price drop may happen ( coinciding with new MY introduction), but with Tesla it could literally be the day after you finalize an order.

Tesla really wants me to order the 75 instead of the 100. I was gonna do the 100, but the price on the 75 is getting better. 20k for extra 62miles and a faster charger?? Meh.

Agreed. I was on the fence about ordering the 100D at a $17k difference, but now that it's $20k that just about put the nail in the coffin. I don't see how they can justify a 25% premium for just the battery alone. I think I'm gonna wait a little longer though to see if either the 85 kwh packs show up or they come to their senses and throw in premium or EAP into that $20k difference.

Interesting that Tesla are passing the new pricing to already confirmed orders - there as a time when they'd never do this.

I personally think the policy they should take is to pass on price reductions to any car not yet delivered, absorb any price increases to cars already ordered.

Mouse-nuts in terms of lost revenue for Tesla, but a lot of customer satisfaction and a logical and consistent approach.

And yes, I'm a shareholder...

Interesting that Tesla are passing the new pricing to already confirmed orders - there as a time when they'd never do this.

I personally think the policy they should take is to pass on price reductions to any car not yet delivered, absorb any price increases to cars already ordered.

Mouse-nuts in terms of lost revenue for Tesla, but a lot of customer satisfaction and a logical and consistent approach.

And yes, I'm a shareholder...

My wife says she recalls the OA we were talking to when placing our order a couple weeks ago saying exactly that, that price reductions will be passed on but price increases won't, but I don't remember that. My memory can escape me at times so she may be right, and if so, then you got what you asked for! We shall see.

You don't feel at all salty that 'early adopters' get little to no love?

Even people that pay for upgrading software locked battery look now and it's cheaper to do it later..

As a TSLA investor do you not think they are hurting the brand by teaching people to wait as long as possible?

AP1 AP2 now AP2.5, which I guess you missed out on as well?
AP2.5? Can someone fill me in? When was that?

My wife says she recalls the OA we were talking to when placing our order a couple weeks ago saying exactly that, that price reductions will be passed on but price increases won't, but I don't remember that. My memory can escape me at times so she may be right, and if so, then you got what you asked for! We shall see.

Would be great if it's indeed the case. For my pending MX P100DL I need to speak to sales - the lady has been "out of office" for a few days, hopefully I can catch her tomorrow.

You don't feel at all salty that 'early adopters' get little to no love?
I got tons of love for being an "early adopter" if you want to call it that. I mean, 2014 wasn't really all that early. But I got 3.5 years of driving the best car I've ever owned. Why would I expect something more than what I agreed to buy?

I got tons of love for being an "early adopter" if you want to call it that. I mean, 2014 wasn't really all that early. But I got 3.5 years of driving the best car I've ever owned. Why would I expect something more than what I agreed to buy?
I don't expect more, but I am not used to (nor expected) for a company to hurt me (in terms of resale value) 5-6 times in 6 months.

Cost I did not account for or expect.

Reactions: mmd
I don't expect more, but I am not used to (nor expected) for a company to hurt me (in terms of resale value) 5-6 times in 6 months.

Cost I did not account for or expect.
Can you quantify this for me? It's an argument I've seen repeated here, but I don't understand why a price change or a feature addition a few times a year is different from combining it all into a new model year release. How does resale drop more if it's spread out vs. all at once, assuming the result is the same?

I'm not saying it doesn't, I just don't personally see how they can be differentiated.

Can you quantify this for me? It's an argument I've seen repeated here, but I don't understand why a price change or a feature addition a few times a year is different from combining it all into a new model year release. How does resale drop more if it's spread out vs. all at once, assuming the result is the same?

I'm not saying it doesn't, I just don't personally see how they can be differentiated.
Think in extremes.

If they drop the price $20k for the same car (better with new features) my depreciation starts from new lower price. Not what I paid.

Also true the other way. Resale might slightly steady when fed tax credit expires.

Reactions: xborg
Think in extremes.

If they drop the price $20k for the same car (better with new features) my depreciation starts from new lower price. Not what I paid.

Also true the other way. Resale might slightly steady when fed tax credit expires.
This has happened 5 or 6 times in 6 months?

Also, how is it different from end of year model year discounts in the traditional dealership setup?

AP2.5? Can someone fill me in? When was that?
Model 3 has AP2.5, it has double the cpu and gpu power by virtue of having two identical nodes to what's in AP2.

It appears that the AP2.5 is not model3 specific, so it's bound to show up in S/X, but it's not really visible from the UI or anything, so short of taking the glove box apart to look at part numbers you'll never know (and we do not have the HW2.5 part numbers too).

Model 3 has AP2.5, it has double the cpu and gpu power by virtue of having two identical nodes to what's in AP2.

It appears that the AP2.5 is not model3 specific, so it's bound to show up in S/X, but it's not really visible from the UI or anything, so short of taking the glove box apart to look at part numbers you'll never know (and we do not have the HW2.5 part numbers too).
Apart from the front facing camera, does this really matter?i

Tesla said we would get FSD, and that's all I need. A better computer? Haha, if it is required for FSD then Tesla can replace it.

Reactions: buttershrimp