Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Price higher than announced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
70D would work perfect for me assuming the range doesn't take too much of a hit on Model X. I don't need towing or high performance - just enough range to get comfortably between Superchargers and destinations during the winter should I take a road trip.

I'm very bothered by the thread in the MS section talking about pricing for their options. You can't get a power liftgate on the S without buying the $5000 interior package with alcantara headliner and other stuff. How can Tesla expect people to fork over $100k for a vehicle that doesn't have standard convenience options that are standard on much more inexpensive vehicles? This is why I never could get myself to buy a new Porsche. $500 for center caps with the colorized Porsche emblem... Etc.

I'm very bothered by the thread in the MS section talking about pricing for their options. You can't get a power liftgate on the S without buying the $5000 interior package with alcantara headliner and other stuff. How can Tesla expect people to fork over $100k for a vehicle that doesn't have standard convenience options that are standard on much more inexpensive vehicles? This is why I never could get myself to buy a new Porsche. $500 for center caps with the colorized Porsche emblem... Etc.

If you don't like the options packaging then just wait a while for it to change - yet again.

Model X Price higher then announced?

True enough but it would be nice to get an idea on price. I do appreciate Tesla's policy to refund the reservation money since I may gracefully bow out if it is significantly higher than the Model S (or another manufacturer produces a partially autonomous BEV or plugin Hybrid with > 80 mile range).
(I think "than" is the word the OP intended to use in the thread title. No?)

I hope that Tesla is not trying to flip people to the Model S because they have so many Model X reservations, and what concerns me is if that is the case then maybe they will raise the price of the Model X accordingly. That to me would be the opposite of what they should be doing, lower the prices to allow more people to have a BEV.

I hope that Tesla is not trying to flip people to the Model S because they have so many Model X reservations, and what concerns me is if that is the case then maybe they will raise the price of the Model X accordingly. That to me would be the opposite of what they should be doing, lower the prices to allow more people to have a BEV.

I'm not sure a price increase of 5-10k is going to affect the majority of people looking for vehicles in this price range. Or are you thinking the increase would be more substantial?

Setting prices for Model X will take into account several key factors including:
  • Supply/Demand economics
  • Product cost
  • Relative pricing to competition and to Model S
Setting prices which might influence consumer behavior is inherent in there but I really doubt that any pricing discussion will include ideas to flip customers to a different product.

- - - Updated - - -

5k is not a problem but lately everything seems to be increasing...

Demand>Supply=Higher_Prices

The only tempering factor is the desire to accelerate EV adoption.

Setting prices for Model X will take into account several key factors including:
  • Supply/Demand economics
  • Product cost
  • Relative pricing to competition and to Model S
Setting prices which might influence consumer behavior is inherent in there but I really doubt that any pricing discussion will include ideas to flip customers to a different product.

- - - Updated - - -

Demand>Supply=Higher_Prices

The only tempering factor is the desire to accelerate EV adoption.

EV adoption will be accelerated when cheaper model classes can be built at scale and sold at super competitive prices yet profitably, and at levels that strong arm the rest of the auto industry to match the experience.
the model X and its price (and its margin) is a means to that end, a stepping stone, and Tesla should maximize margin to secure the longer term execution of their vision, IMHO.

The x is stated to have a lower drag coefficient, but due to larger frontal area a higher amount of total drag.

They have said both things at various times, so the confusion is natural, however the two are perfectly consistent with each other.

Less drag per area, but more area total makes for a total of more drag.

The x is stated to have a lower drag coefficient, but due to larger frontal area a higher amount of total drag.

They have said both things at various times, so the confusion is natural, however the two are perfectly consistent with each other.

I'm not confused. We know what Tesla have predicted. What we don't know is how the final car turns out. Therefore the statement "is less aerodynamic", although likely to be true, has yet to be confirmed as far as I know.

Just trying to follow this discussion, and seeking clarification

As I understand it, COD is a dimensionless number, and frontal area is part of it. Wikipedia states "The reference area depends on what type of drag coefficient is being measured. For automobiles and many other objects, the reference area is the projected frontal area of the vehicle.".

So how can the X have a lower COD than the S? The basic shape is similar, it's just taller, so more frontal area, and likely a higher COD than the S, I would think.

Just trying to follow this discussion, and seeking clarification

As I understand it, COD is a dimensionless number, and frontal area is part of it. Wikipedia states "The reference area depends on what type of drag coefficient is being measured. For automobiles and many other objects, the reference area is the projected frontal area of the vehicle.".

So how can the X have a lower COD than the S? The basic shape is similar, it's just taller, so more frontal area, and likely a higher COD than the S, I would think.
This is half-correct. Cd is dimensionless, but the dimensions (or area) are needed to calculate the force required to overcome air resistance. Comparing Cd to Cd doesn't tell you anything about efficiency by itself. You need to compare Cd*A to Cd*A (where A is the drag area). My understanding from what Elon has said is that Cd is lower on the X, but Cd*A is lower on the S, hence the S being more efficient. For more info and some examples as applied to various cars, see: Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks Robby. But as I understand it the Cd equation includes A in the denominator, it is not independent of A.
While I can't say if that is normally true or not, that's not how Tesla has been talking.

They were trying to point out that they made the X "slipperier" but that the larger frontal area more than offsets that. combined with the larger vehicle having more weight, there's no way for the X to be more efficient overall than the S, but that doesn't mean that it isn't more efficient in relation to it's size and weight.