Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Pricing (Speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we heard that the Model S battery structure can hold more batteries than necessary for 85 kWh, I'd expect the Model X to have a 300 mile@55mph version. It would be exciting news if they tried even more, but I'm not sure the time has already come.

I had not heard this. Do you have a source for this? Not doubting you, just would like to be able to look back at the context. Thanks!

Not sure Tesla wants to make costlier & costlier models. Those would have smaller & smaller target market.
I'm not sure if Tesla needs to go after the lower market yet. If they can sell cars with a 25% margin (like Apple did with their Macs) and can sell out their entire production run for a few years, that should give them the capital they need to move forward.

I had not heard this. Do you have a source for this? Not doubting you, just would like to be able to look back at the context. Thanks!

It was an indirect quote of JB Straubel, in an article describing an interview with him. At the moment I don't recall where that article appeared. He was talking about that 300 miles were what they considered the sweet spot, and that they could fit more cells into it if they wanted to (though it didn't really sound like it would be a lot more).

It was an indirect quote of JB Straubel, in an article describing an interview with him. At the moment I don't recall where that article appeared. He was talking about that 300 miles were what they considered the sweet spot, and that they could fit more cells into it if they wanted to (though it didn't really sound like it would be a lot more).

Okay - great - thank you!

I'm not sure if Tesla needs to go after the lower market yet. If they can sell cars with a 25% margin (like Apple did with their Macs) and can sell out their entire production run for a few years, that should give them the capital they need to move forward.

I guess I'm a lot more pessimistic about the EV market in the next couple of years.