Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Pricing (Speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
We're a little over a month out from unveiling, but thought we could start speculating on price-points (we may not even get pricing in February).

From another thread:

Tesla confirmed that the Model X will be "at prices comparable to the Model S."

So, since I think the best comparators would be the Audi A7 and the Audi Q5. I thought X will be smaller than the Q7 externally, though it's supposed to be as spacious, but in any case, once I hit Audi's site, I saw the Q5 was priced MUCH lower than the A7 (started under 40k), so let's go with the Q5 and Q7 and compare them to their similarly-sized sedans. So:

Base A7: 59,250
Base Q7: 46,250

Base A5: 37,100
Base Q5: 35,600

And for good measure:
Base A6: 49,900

The common theme here is that the crossovers seem to cost LESS than their sedan counterparts (in base configuration anyway). I went into the exercise expecting the complete opposite. So then I went to Porsche:

Base Panamera: 75,200.00
Base Cayenne: 48,200.00

Interesting. So with that in mind, can we assume the Model X will actually be LESS than the Model S? It would seem so, but my gut says it'll likely be more like:

Base S: $57,400
Base X: $65,400

The base Cayenne Turbo (similar 4.4 0-60 as the Performance S) starts at 107k, so it's in line with the Sig Performance S. So I'd imagine Sig Performance X to be 110-115k?

I realize this post got a bit long, but just some Friday-night musings :wink:

*edited* forgot to add, that while the X is supposed to be as spacious as a Q7, I'm hoping for the exterior size and handling of the Q5. Q7 feels too big to me, but I guess the S is a fairly large car as well.

Last edited:
This "premium cross-over" world is a tough one for pricing. The Audi Q7 maxes out at under $60k, even with all the options. The result isn't nearly as posh as the A7, though, leaving a fair bit of room upward to try to attract people who really value the extra level of luxury.

Tesla is going to need to communicate well about the cumulative savings on gas. The A7 is bad enough (EPA 18/28), but the Q7 is far worse (16/22). Of course, the Model X won't be as aerodynamic as the Model S, so its numbers aren't going to be quite as dramatic in that department, either.

This "premium cross-over" world is a tough one for pricing. The Audi Q7 maxes out at under $60k, even with all the options. The result isn't nearly as posh as the A7, though, leaving a fair bit of room upward to try to attract people who really value the extra level of luxury.

The diesel Q7 can take you to $70K and beyond.

Since Tesla seems to view BMW as their main competition let's look at those:

$47,500 Base X5 (easy to add $10,000 in options)
$46,900 Base 5-series (easy to add $15K in options)

The only way the Model X can be the same price as the Model S is it is offered in RWD trim. I agree with AnOutsider that most likely it will carry a premium ($5,000?) for an AWD version because they would have to add an additional motor in the front and additional hardware & software to support it.

The highway range of the Model X will get killed if it cannot maintain a very low drag coefficient so I expect it to be very sleek and slippery looking. Maybe as simple as a Model S that has been "jacked up" in the front and "jacked up" even more in the rear. That is kind of what Honda did with the Accord Crosstour but I hate to mention that since the Crosstour was universally panned as being ugly. I guess what I'm saying is I think it will look like a cross between a car and an SUV because it kind of has to in order to keep the drag way down.

they'd probably make use of the air suspension too. Some, maybe, for the offroading capability, but probably more for highway efficiency (lowering the vehicle in motion)

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

I think Tesla will offer the same 40,60 & 85 kWh batteries - but the range would be a little less.

Since X will come a year or two later - I think they will offer them for the same price as S, with AWD being an expensive option.

I'd be very interested in X if it comes around Feb '14. More so than S. We are planning to get Ford Energi as our PHEV to replace our current CUV. Energi won't have much cargo space - so, X would be attractive (esp. if it has forward looking child seats).

Since we heard that the Model S battery structure can hold more batteries than necessary for 85 kWh, I'd expect the Model X to have a 300 mile@55mph version. It would be exciting news if they tried even more, but I'm not sure the time has already come.

Since we heard that the Model S battery structure can hold more batteries than necessary for 85 kWh, I'd expect the Model X to have a 300 mile@55mph version.
I was musing over that possibility, too, but my conclusion is that Tesla will want to standardize as much as possible. Having Model S packs at 40, 60 & 85, but Model X packs at 48, 72 & 102, might give equal ranges but will require a lot of new engineering, etc. I think Kevin H might be closer to a likely outcome, with a 120kWh pack being introduced concurrent with the Model X. Ideally, this pack would be available on Model S v2.0, as well.

I was musing over that possibility, too, but my conclusion is that Tesla will want to standardize as much as possible. Having Model S packs at 40, 60 & 85, but Model X packs at 48, 72 & 102, might give equal ranges but will require a lot of new engineering, etc. I think Kevin H might be closer to a likely outcome, with a 120kWh pack being introduced concurrent with the Model X. Ideally, this pack would be available on Model S v2.0, as well.

Or they could standardize using the 3.1Ah batteries same as the 85KwH battery in the S and use newer 4.0Ah batteries in the X for the larger pack. What would that do to the range ?

Or they could standardize using the 3.1Ah batteries same as the 85KwH battery in the S and use newer 4.0Ah batteries in the X for the larger pack. What would that do to the range ?

Using these infos:

NCR18650A (assuming this is the current Model S battery):
Cylindrical type | Lithium Ion Batteries | Batteries & Energy Products | Industrial Devices | Panasonic Global
-> 11.16 Wh/cell

4.0 Ah Cell (assuming a cell like this will be used in the future)
Panasonic Develops High-Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery Cells That Can Power Laptops and Electric Vehicles | Headquarters News | Panasonic Global
-> 13.6 Wh/cell

A pack using the same number of cells as the 85 kWh pack, would be about 104 kWh, in the Model S corresponding to a range of 366 miles. (However, it would be heavier by a factor of 54/46.)

Last edited: