Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WhiteKnight

_____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White
Jun 27, 2011
Atlanta
Assuming that the Model X has the same options and pricing as the Model S. My Model X is gong to cost me about $80K (and that's 60 kWh)!

$59,90060 kWh Model X
$7,500AWD Option
$750Metallic Paint
$1,500Nappa Leather
$3,50021" Wheels
$3,750Tech Package
$950Sound Studio Package
$1,500Active Air Suspension
$250Parcel Shelf
$79,600TOTAL

I am guessing $7,500 for the AWD option which represents the midpoint of $5K - $10K.

I don't think they will offer a Panoramic Roof since the Falcon Doors have embedded sunroofs in them. Probably can't open any of the glass roofs.

I'm not totally sold on the 21" wheels. Perhaps they will have beefier tires for greater ground clearance. That would be good.

In 2 years when the Model X debuts batteries should be about 14% cheaper. But the Falcon Doors might add some expense to the base model. I would not be surprised, with a starting price of $60K, if Nappa Leather and/or Active Air Suspension were standard features. The Parcel Shelf ought to be standard.

I really like the color on the working prototype. It alternatively looks brown, yellow, gray, silver. Part of that is the lighting in the pictures taken but that is also the depth and character of the paint.

I think I've convinced myself that the AWD will remain an (expensive) option. It is probably at least a second faster 0-60 (expecting 5.9s for the AWD Model X, like the Model S). It will be much better handling, especially when traction control is needed. And it will probably give you a greater range because of the additional regen. So it sounds like something they can easily sell people on and therefore they won't give it away for free.

I expect the 60 kWh AWD to deliver about 200 miles of range which is all I need for everything I might need to do in Atlanta (including head to the mountains, head to the lake, etc) and if they put a supercharger in Greenville (or BMW does) then I can make it to Charlotte and Asheville.

Looks like I better start saving now!

Last edited:
....if they put a supercharger in Greenville (or BMW does) then I can make it to Charlotte and Asheville.

You will probably need an additional on-board charger to take advantage of that....which adds another $1,500 based on S pricing. Caveat: Tesla hasn't confirmed/denied supercharger access for 60kWh battery packs yet.

BTW, just my opinion but I think that the X will be slightly more expensive than the S. It's heavier/bigger, has those falcon doors etc. which all tends to equal higher costs/prices. Your chart assumes they start at the same price.

You will probably need an additional on-board charger to take advantage of that....which adds another $1,500 based on S pricing. Caveat: Tesla hasn't confirmed/denied supercharger access for 60kWh battery packs yet.

BTW, just my opinion but I think that the X will be slightly more expensive than the S. It's heavier/bigger, has those falcon doors etc. which all tends to equal higher costs/prices. Your chart assumes they start at the same price.

We don't need an additional on-board charger for Tesla's DC Supercharger but we might if we try to use BMW or Michelin's (if they have one).

Tesla has confirmed that 60 kWh battery packs can supercharge. They have just stated that for 60 kWh it's "optional" whereas with the 85 kWh it's "included." So I think most people believe that means you either have to pay more at time of purchase to get the right hardware/software or you have to pay every time you supercharge, whereas the 85 kWh have free access to the supercharging network.

Model X would be more expensive if it were not for the 15% drop in battery costs in 2 years. All Tesla reps are quoted as saying the Model X will be "$60K-90K" so that's where I was starting.

Tesla has confirmed that 60 kWh battery packs can supercharge.

:confused:

tbd.jpg

Model X would be more expensive if it were not for the 15% drop in battery costs in 2 years.

I'm aware of lots of hypothesizing, but that's a pretty bold statement as fact. Great for everyone IF it happens though....

All Tesla reps are quoted as saying the Model X will be "$60K-90K" so that's where I was starting.

Hmmm, I seem to remember Elon saying "similar to...S"; I don't think he said "The same as...S" and we can probably agree he didn't mean "Less than...S". FWIW, I have heard "...similiar to the Model S..." but how should I know what's the right answer?

Last edited:
People who want to decide between S & X need to ball park the price. Nothing ridicolous about that.

It's not like there will be a $20,000 difference though. Tesla has stated that the X pricing will be similar to Model S. If you're spending $60-90k on a car I can't really believe that your decision would be affected by a coupla thousand difference in the prices. You'd buy the car you want.

Not only that, but doing this so early might set expectations and we'd end up with a fiasco all over again when Tesla posts REAL prices that don't match the fantasy prices folks have had in their head for 2 years.

People who want to decide between S & X need to ball park the price. Nothing ridicolous about that.

It's not like there will be a $20,000 difference though. Tesla has stated that the X pricing will be similar to Model S. If you're spending $60-90k on a car I can't really believe that your decision would be affected by a coupla thousand difference in the prices. You'd buy the car you want.

Actually there is a potential $20,000 difference between the Model S I thought I wanted and the Model X I now think I want.

I was looking at the 40 kWh Model S for $49,900, optioned up it would be $63,600. The cheapest Model X optioned the way I would like (see post #1) would be $79,600. And some of you think that it could be even $5,000 more than that. Making a difference of $21,000.

With that said, I agree it's all very preliminary and speculative. Which I have no problem with. If I did have a problem I wouldn't be on this website so much, because other than the Roadster section, it's mostly all speculative until Tesla delivers the cars and we get to pay for them and drive them.

Not only that, but doing this so early might set expectations and we'd end up with a fiasco all over again when Tesla posts REAL prices that don't match the fantasy prices folks have had in their head for 2 years.

Tesla is already deliberately setting expectations by saying the Model X costs will be comparable to the Model S in the range of $60-$90,000.