Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X production at 750/week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Tesla Delivers 14,820 Vehicles in Q1 2016; On Track for Full-Year Delivery Guidance (NASDAQ:TSLA)

The Q1 delivery count was impacted by severe Model X supplier parts shortages in January and February that lasted much longer than initially expected. Once these issues were resolved, production and delivery rates improved dramatically. By the last full week of March, the build rate rose to 750 Model X vehicles per week, however many of these vehicles were built too late to be delivered to their owners before end of quarter.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I think they're still impacted by parts shortages as my X has been sitting in the SC for over a week with TBA written on the windshield because they have been able to get parts for it.

Interesting, whts your VIN / config?

Wondering what part it could be?

We configured fully loaded 7 seat P90D in November and are still waiting for the car. Went into production in March but am told car is delayed to due sourcing a part. Seems generic. But we are still waiting on ours.

"The root causes of the parts shortages were: Tesla's hubris in adding far too much new technology to the Model X in version 1, insufficient supplier capability validation, and Tesla not having broad enough internal capability to manufacture the parts in-house".

Initially I thought this was a commentary by some journalist, but then I was surprised to see this is actually a statement from Tesla itself posted in teslamotors.com website. Kind of odd to see that they describe the situations as self inflicted wound : "Tesla's hubris in adding far too much new technology to the Model X in version 1, insufficient supplier capability validation"

Unfortunately, Tesla may have fallen into a similar "vendor reliance" that Boeing experienced with the 787 -- Documented by Boeing itself on Smithsonian Channel 787 Documentary. Both anticipated that vendors could perform, deliver, with the quality and fit required. Boeing (according to the documentary) found the parts didn't fit and realized that vendors didn't know how to produce parts merely according specifications/drawings. Those assumptions cost Boeing a year delay in producing the 787 (since they build airplanes, short cuts aren't an alternative). Manufacturing a new product in hard.... thousands of parts coming together from hundreds/thousands of vendors from a supply chain dependent on various transportation sources. Lessons learned by both.

The good news is both Tesla and Boeing admitted the short coming, and vow no recurrence. Tesla pressing the envelope on the Model X -- design is one thing, introducing new technology another, exceeding the Model S a lofty goal -- the reality of complexity may have come after the reveal.

I think they're still impacted by parts shortages as my X has been sitting in the SC for over a week with TBA written on the windshield because they have been able to get parts for it.

That's Tesla Parts: Notoriously slow, and not a part of Tesla Manufacturing, evidently. Many Model S repairs take weeks and weeks in the shop simply because they can't get parts, but they are churning out cars. No reason that I can see other than a priority: You can't report cars repaired in any quarterly report.