TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Prototype still on display at Hawthorne?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Andrew, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

A couple of months ago, I was at the Hawthorne Supercharger and could see there was a Model X prototype in the Tesla office lobby. Since it was Sunday, we couldn't go inside to get a good look at it.

Thinking of heading back down there with my parents, who have a reservation on the X. Does anyone know if it's still on display there?

(Sidenote: My mom called the main Tesla number, and they said that it's no longer on display as they're entering production at the end of this year. Considering the second half of that sentence doesn't sound quite right, I'm not so convinced at the first half! Hoping for some better recon from TMC folks...Thanks!)

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Entering production could simply refer to the components with the longest lead time. I have little idea what that could be but I know from my manufacturing days that some production dates are surprisingly early. If summer 2014 is still slated for Founders (if there would be such a thing) and/or Sigs I can well imagine that there might be certain components with >6 months lead time.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I thought it was late 2014, not summer?

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Just for the record, I'm ready to take delivery. :)

5. 0gas

0gas Member

Me too! I've already got the vanity plate.

Attached Files:

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Hey, if Winter 2012 stretches to March 2013 then Summer could still be late 2014. :wink:

7. Sancann

Sancann Member

It was still on display on Memorial Day when I stopped by the Hawthorne supercharger. We could not get in to see it as they were closed. But it could be seen through the glass still sitting in the lobby.

8. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I had a look at it in early February, and if the same one is still there, it's just a mock-up. Basically an exterior with very darkly tinted windows, so it's hard to tell that the interior is carved out of foam or something.

The Telsa employee I talked to told me that there was only one drivable prototype, which is the one they had at the unveiling.

9. MikeL

MikeL some guy

somebody help me understand how those two things are even related. Entering production -therefore- not on display?
    AND Andrew, you win for closest to Hawthorne (I lived in Torrance long ago) so I'm hoping that you will go check it out & then tell US! :smile: It's the White one, right? Need more photos to drool at. ML

10. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

Thanks everyone.. @Sancann, glad to hear it's been in the lobby as recently as Memorial day. @MikeL - I'll try to get there soon, and will report back with pics! :)

11. wts13

wts13 Member

Here's a pic I took when I was there for a test drive event a few months ago. It's really just the body, there is no interior to speak of, doors don't open, etc.

I drive by here every day on the 105, I'll try to stop in and take a peek :)

857044_4916358759321_854454741_o.jpg

12. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Model X front end looks so aggressive!
    love it!

13. MikeL

MikeL some guy

I looked, Really Searched, for a thread that I saw recently w lots of photos from Hawthorne. Cannot find it again. :cursing:
    They had dropped by the supercharger on a Sunday & said an employee gave them an impromptu little tour,
    SpaceX too.
    Good photos, one of that Model X (that's just a shell). Looks sooo nice.

Anyone know where it is? Link? Thanks. ML

14. Qualchan

Qualchan Member

I think you're thinking of this one: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/17215-Tesla-Model-S-P-vs-BMW-M3-sedan-%28and-everything-else-out-there%29? I'd thought the pictures were properly sized when I first saw that thread.

15. NotTarts

NotTarts Member

Franz seems to like smooth bodywork with very few character lines. The sides of the S and X look a bit like his Kabura concept from Mazda:

800px-Mazda_Kabura_Concept.jpg

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member

Elon keeps repeating the idea that the Gen3 will look a lot like a mini-S. Since they also plan a Gen3 SUV, does it stand to reason that model will look like a mini-X?

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Somewhat related to your question...

I'd love to see a high quality rendition of a 2 door 4 seater with falcon-wing doors.