Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First I want to say that I really like this car. I have 2018 Model X deliver in December. I think acceleration is amazing. I like the seats, the window, the spaciousness and autopilot...although the latter can kill you if you don't pay sharp attention.

The issue I have is the quality. In first two months I have the following issues:

• I got an error saying i should not drive the car because of air suspension issues. This showed for a few days without me driving and then inexplicably went away.
  • The falcon wing doors often do not open the whole way. Not always sure why. there is no obstruction of any sort when it happens. In some cases and I can see on the display that there is phantom sensing of something not there, but why is that happening in brand new car?
  • We had some snow and very cold weather....I like the electronic doors, but I had a very hard time opening them at this time. Cars doors should work outside of LA.
  • My most major concern is that once when backing out of garage moving from the initial stopped position there was a popping sound from left front wheel. It also makes this sound under hard acceleration but not always and it is always brief. It sometimes sounds like it is grinding when i hit brake...but again only briefly. I have not had this checked out yet...its over hour drive to service centers and I am busy guy.
Really like this car, but quality needs some work. This was 110K car. Should be better.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
The grinding when you hit the brakes initially I can explain. If moisture gets on the discs they rust. The grinding sound you here is from that rust being wiped off by the brake pads during the first couple of applications. If your wheel areas have been subjected to moisture look at the discs the next morning before getting into the car. You can often see the rust plainly. You will be horrified. If it is any comfort I don't think I have ever owned a car with disc brakes that didn't do this.

Falcon doors get confused sometimes. When in a place they don't open all the way, press the up button a long hold. It will beep, and elevate the doors very slowly. Then release. This resets the door to open fully. Next time you park there, you may have to do this again if the GPS thinks you are in a slightly different spot.

The grinding when you hit the brakes initially I can explain. If moisture gets on the discs they rust. The grinding sound you here is from that rust being wiped off by the brake pads during the first couple of applications. If your wheel areas have been subjected to moisture look at the discs the next morning before getting into the car. You can often see the rust plainly. You will be horrified. If it is any comfort I don't think I have ever owned a car with disc brakes that didn't do this.

Good point. And Tesla has less/no? pad to rotor contact when just going down the road to knock that rust off than ICE cars. We have regen braking instead that already adds a lot of drag.

The popping may be due to the Hill hold engaging the brakes at the stop, and releasing as soon as you step on the throttle. This is on by default on a Tesla. Check your dash and see if you see a little H in a circle when you come to a stop and hold the brake pedal for a second. If so, the brakes are engaged so you can remove your put from the brake pedal and the car will not roll. Personally, I prefer this, because a Tesla will roll on even a slight incline because there is no transmission connected and pulsing the car forward, or reverse, depending on gear, like an ICE vehicle. But if you don't like it you can turn it off.