Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Radio on with no one in car... happens rather often...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Sitting in my living room, sometimes I'll hear my car radio turn on. With... no one anywhere near the car, all doors closed, and the car locked. I've reset the car a few times, no change.

Today, after parking the car, all doors closed and locked, I came back about 5 hours later to hear a subwoofer noise. As I got closer, I realized it was my X. I opened the trunk and could clearly hear the radio on. No doors were opened. Both screens were black/off. But the audio was loud and clear. No idea how long this was playing. When I leave the car, the radio is never stuck on.

I think it has something to do with the hatch/trunk.

If I'm home and the car is locked, and I use the fob to open the trunk, sometimes the radio turns on. No idea why. I then close the trunk, and the radio stays on sometimes. I have to open a door and close it then, even though I never intended to open any door...

anyone else have ghost radio?

Normally, the X does NOT turn on the entertainment for the rear hatch. Additionally, when it does turn on the entertainment, it includes the MCU, so it's especially odd that you're getting this with the MCU off and only the hatch open. In spite of that, I'd start with a scroll wheel reset and then maybe the "wheel setting change" reset if that doesn't work, but beyond that, it sounds like it's either a very rare bug or a number of components acting up in unison (i.e. driver seat occupancy sensor and/or door open sensor and/or fob). Probably going to need to open a service ticket via the app (probably mobile if possible) and note timestamps so that they can hopefully figure something out remotely.

The plot thinnens: It appears to be with 'any' door. Yesterday I got home, closed all doors/ lock honk. A while later I went to get something out of the car. I took the key, opened the passenger door only. closed the door. walked away. Music started a few seconds later.

Driver door did it to. Never seems to when I have my phone recording though. but yea, it's haunted.

Happens to mine once in a while I assumed it was sentry mode causing it. I've never noticed it in a parking lot or anything else only in my driveway while plugged in and charging. My X is a 90D MCU1 so I just assume its some kind of a bug or the stupid flash chip just causing more issues I've had the MCU re-flashed several times as it is and for a while it helps they still won't replace it.

Tesla service has informed me that this is a known firmware bug. Awesome.
What version you running? Are you talking FM radio or streaming? I know MP3 audio practically never plays automatically in any X I've ever driven (always played automatically any time any door was opened on every S I' ve ever driven). Given that, you could try switching to a different audio source when leaving the vehicle...

Update: My wife's 3 did same thing tonight!

Opened the rear door to get a t-shirt out, and closed the door. opened the front passenger door to get my socks out of the door. closed the door, and the car's HVAC and radio came on, with all doors closed!

had to open the driver's door, then close it to shut it off... ugh.

Update: My wife's 3 did same thing tonight!

Opened the rear door to get a t-shirt out, and closed the door. opened the front passenger door to get my socks out of the door. closed the door, and the car's HVAC and radio came on, with all doors closed!

had to open the driver's door, then close it to shut it off... ugh.
This does support the suggestion that it is a firmware bug. If so, knowing what version you' re running on both vehicles would still be helpful to other users who may see this thread in the future.