TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Range

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by EVger, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Novalis

Novalis Member

With a few 90D having now been delivered- and tested- what is the probability that (1) the 90D does indeed live up to Tesla official expectations in terms of range (around 340 Wh/m, on average) - as suggested by MarchX , aesculus and others in this thread, and that, simultaneously, (2) the P90D' s range - even with the proper '90D' setting- has been significantly overestimated by Telsa , which translates into a measured 400Wh/h at best - as suggested by a number of P90D owner in various threads?

If confirmed, these reports would testify to a minimum 15% difference between the 90D and the P90D operating in the same mode, vs a mere 4% advertised by Tesla. Any more 'live' data and testimonies from actual owners of both models would be invaluable to get to the bottom of this matter...

2. pvogel

pvogel Member

I get 340-350 Wh/mile on the highway in my P90D

3. Novalis

Novalis Member

Thanks for sharing! What is you actual wh/m on stop And go/ City conditions? I am interested in info on outside temp in which you achieved 345 on highway?... On 20' wheels?

I have 5 days more to my final choice: p90d vs 90d. If 90d' range is 10% higher or more, I would definitely go with the 90d....

4. LeonardD

LeonardD Member

The actual range difference according to the spec sheet is less than 3%. The acceleration difference 0-60 mph is one second for the P90D without ludicrous mode vs. the 90D.

5. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Aesculus: Those 90D numbers are really good. Given for an S the typical numbers are around 295wh/mile, an increase of just 20 wh/mile for X is pretty good.

That should get you close to a range of 250 miles which is what I think Tesla had indicated.

6. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

We can get 340-360 on our P90DL with all season 20's; or should I say my wife can. I'm almost always in the 400's unless I'm concentrating :)

7. satheesh.net

satheesh.net President | Tesla Owners Club Norway

Just a small detail I noticed. In my Model S, the navigation has changed "line-colors" from orange to light blue in the recent firmwares. But it is orange in this picture from the Model X. Maybe the built-in map isn't updated yet?

Attached Files:

8. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

9. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

At the risk of re-stating the obvious, speed and driving style have a huge impact on range. I'm finding that at 65 mph and driving somewhat conservatively, I can get rated range in the 330-340 area. Stepping up to 75 mph will increase it to 360-380. Dropping sown to 50-55 I get very close to 300+/- These numbers are on flat terrain. I will be taking a trip from northern NJ to Orlando next month and I will have more credible numbers to report.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Does Tesla provide a chart or graph that shows rated range base on speed in flat terrain, no wind and no climate on? Sort of like you get with aircraft manuals?

11. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Model S - Driving Range for the Model S Family

12. Novalis

Novalis Member

13. Zac C

Zac C Member

We just took delivery of our Midnight Silver Model X P90D last week! We finished shooting our Top 12 features video - hope you enjoy!

• Like x 1
  14. KOL2000

KOL2000 Member

Pleased to report that the trip to Big Bear from San Diego went pretty much the same as my 2013 P+ with 21 inch tires. See attached screen shot - Trip B is the going and returning. Left San diego and arrived in BB with about 53 RR (mostly uphill). Charged to 228 (90%) and arrived home with 133 RR (mostly downhill).

Very pleased and somewhat mystified by how Tesla engineers could take a car with an extra motor and 1500 pounds and less aerodynamic and make it the same efficiency with only 5 extra kWh.

As a family car it is so much more convenient than the S and much less stuffy. Anyone with kids will appreciate being able to put the car on autopilot while you assist in feeding kids or eating your own sandwich. Also the big windshield makes the view even more enjoyable. Having done the exact same drive multiple times with the S I can confidently say that this is a MUCH better road trip car with kids (for anyone on the fence between S and X).

Attached Files:

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  15. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Nice, where did you charge at Big Bear? I go to snow valley often and should have no issues with making a round trip from Irvine but would like to know of a charging station

16. KOL2000

KOL2000 Member

I charge at my cabin. Installed a 240V there.

17. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Cool!

18. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

Yes they do, hold on....

And someone beat me to it

• Like x 1
  19. Coolcarx

Coolcarx Member

I drove from NJ to Dayton, OH and back in 2 days. Left Sunday @ 2pm and was back [email protected] 7:30 am. 1250 miles. Major range problems. Driving in 28 degree temps with wind. Had to go south (MD) to actually make it home even though estimate was fine at first. Over and over, I found myself driving 50mph in hopes of making it to next supercharger. Estimated range was off by 20-30%. Added a good 6 hrs on top of the normal 9 hour trip. I think the x is beyond awesome but it's local driving only for me. More stations needed to ever attempt that again. I'm sure that is right around the corner. I also found out running out of power is considered neglect not covered by roadside assistance. I did not run out but learned that from Tesla employee. I'm glad it didn't come down to that. After the drive I had I would have gladley returned car. Only owned it for 5 days.

• Informative x 1
  20. loganintx

loganintx Member

You should move to Texas. We barely get 1 day a year at 28°F and there's charging stations every 150 miles and nobody is ever using them.
    What was your Avg Wh/mi for the trip?