TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Range

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by EVger, Sep 13, 2015.

1. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I'm really sorry to hear about this. That's the kind of experience that will shake even a veteran EV owner. I've only been faced with one waylay due to wind/rain/cold, and I found a convenient 80A charging location that required a 30 minute stop. Nothing like what you went through.

The trouble is that your first long road trip was done in some of the worst conditions. Cold and wind are tough. Turning off the interior heat and using seat heat only will help quite a bit if you find yourself in that situation. It's not the most comfortable, but if it saves you a couple of hours of rerouting, it can be worth it. Was it raining? Rain is a killer as well. I'd probably rate them wind, cold, and rain - in that order.

I assure you - a similar trip in more ideal conditions (read: summer) will be a breeze, and you'll have a completely different experience. I hope you won't be too shy to give it another shot, though I wouldn't blame you after what you've been through.

My short ownership period on my 90D has me at about 331 Wh/mi and steadily dropping. That's in town and highway driving. My S P85's lifetime consumption rate is 298 Wh/mi, so I'm pretty happy with how my X is performing so far.

• Like x 1
  2. Coolcarx

Coolcarx Member

Trust me when I say I would love to. My daughter is heading to Baylor this fall.

• Like x 1
  3. Coolcarx

Coolcarx Member

Thanks for the info. It was raining. I had my 9yr old son with me. To add insult to injury the heat was not working. I tried everything to get it to work. It works now so not worried about it. The trip was an emergency trip with a relative on life support. The whole thing was rushed but it all worked out. Thank you Jesus!
    I drove the last 12miles on zero range left! Really like the car & considering getting a second x. This one is my for my wife.

4. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

Heat wasn't working? By any chance did you have Range mode enabled? The heat output is reduced if this is the case. Pre heating while plugged in to the charger before leaving really helps reduce effect while driving.

5. Coolcarx

Coolcarx Member

No. In fact i was getting it charged with no heat output available. It didn't work until after the next supercharger station when I knew i could fly home with ample charge. The only thing I could think was with it 28 degrees and me going 50mph the system wasn't able to generate enough battery heat flo. This is my total uneducated guess.

6. ohmman

I suggest calling (or emailing) your service center with the exact time and date, and having them pull the logs. It shouldn't cost you much time, and it's worth having it looked at. This isn't the behavior of a Tesla. As was mentioned, range mode will lower the output (but not disable it). I would be upset if you made the assumption that it's "normal" and then had it happen again when it's so cold. I'm sure your SC will be happy to look at it.

• Like x 2
  7. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

Totally agree, Tesla's goal is to sell the best car, not a compromise

8. Lucidor

Lucidor Member

Has there been a comparison of range between the 20" and 22" wheels? I do like the look of the 22" wheels on that big car, but if the penalty on range is significant I will reconsider.

9. neverdone

neverdone Supporting Member

My wife and I did our first road trip this weekend in our Model X.
    From Loveland, CO to Glenwood Springs, CO.
    Up and over the Continental Divide.
    I charged to max before our trip; 250 mile range.
    Charged about 15 minutes in Silverthorn, about 80 miles remaining.
    Energy usage going over Vail pass.
    vailwestbound.JPG

Charged again about 15 minutes in Glenwood Springs.
    Spent the rest of the day visiting relatives and giving rides in the Tesla.
    We stayed the night at Marriott Courtyard in Glenwood Springs next to the SC.
    We were the only Teslas at both Silverthorn and Glenwood Springs.
    I am not sure of the etiquette of charging overnight;
    but since we were the only Tesla and there were 5 more open spaces I thought is was OK to stayed plugged in overnight

teslaglenwoodsprings.JPG

On Sunday we drove back to Loveland.
    Picture going over Vail pass, 10,000 feet, and it is snowing.

vailpass.JPG

We charged again at Silverthorn and there were several Teslas.

telsaatsilverthorn.JPG

If you only can go downhill all the time you can get tremendous range.

westbounddownhill.JPG

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  10. ohmman

#210 ohmman, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    Official etiquette is never plug in overnight. I typically charge to 80% on arrival, move, then if I need to top up in the morning I move back to the charger before breakfast.

Looks like a great trip! Thanks for posting. We need a trip report subforum here.

11. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

I suspect the 999 mile range is capped by the software developer. :)

12. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

I guess the question is, on the non-P versions is the positioned fixed after it comes up or does it change based on speed ?

13. ohmman

It changes based on speed (visibility mode under 40mph, aero above that, flat when locked). It acts identically to the spoiler on the P90D. At least, the ones that have been delivered to date do this (including mine). It's possible that'll change.

14. WilliamZ

WilliamZ Member

Sorry, late in the party here. I am a little lost. Question: 90D comes with a spoiler as standard? (never mind if is active or inactive)

15. Roentgen

Roentgen Member

Received my 90D 3/30. Mine came with the active spoiler, which I was happy to receive. I think the consensus is that this may be temporary, and may change as they start building more standard models. I think I read some people think the standard nonactive spoiler hasn't even been produced yet... so you may get lucky if you'll be receiving it soon.

16. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

Temps, wind, terrain and speed have a tremendous impact on range (nothing new here). Just drove NJ to Orlando and encountered low temps and high winds/rain/snow, warming and weather improving as we went south. Speeds 65-80mph. Cold, wind & rain kept the Wh/mi in the low 400's range, improved to 360-370 at 75-80 mph. No problem achieving rated range at lower speeds (60-65) in better weather and at times 320-330. Weather is supposed to be good for the trip back over the weekend, but taking the western route up I-81 so we'll see how it does in the mountains.

• Informative x 2
  17. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

How was return range?

18. Coolcarx

Coolcarx Member

"22" wheels cut range 10-15%." This was the part I didn't realize. This combined with cold temps, rain, & wind killed me on the trip.

19. ohmman

This is one reason I've dealt with aftermarket 19" wheels on my Model S. I wanted dark wheels, but Tesla didn't offer them in 19s. I was unwilling to go to 21s. I really like the look of 21s, but the trade-offs aren't worth it to me. Range, ride, tire wear, and flat risk.

20. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yup, I went to 19" dark turbines (aftermarket) 2 summers ago, and never looked back. Same set of tires, same set of wheels. I think I had to replace 1 or 2 of the 21" in the time that I kept them on, and tires twice.

Nope, I'm good.